Cosmos Release Plan
- 1 COSMOS 1.1 Release Plan
COSMOS 1.1 Release Plan
Please send comments about this plan to the email@example.com project management mailing list.
This document lays out the feature and API set for the COSMOS releases.
This plan describes the deliverables, milestones, and plan items for the COSMOS project. Each plan item covers a feature or API that is to be added to COSMOS, or some aspect of COSMOS that is to be improved. Each plan item has its own entry in the COSMOS bugzilla database, with a title and a concise summary (usually a single paragraph) that explains the work item at a suitably high level so that everyone can readily understand the work item.
Fixing bugs, improving test coverage, documentation, examples, performance tuning, usability, etc. are considered routine ongoing maintenance activities and are not included in this plan unless they would also involve a significant change to the API or feature set, or involve a significant amount of work. The intent of the plan is to account for all interesting feature work.
The following release deliverables are provided:
- Component Tests
- Data Collection Implementation
- Data Visualization Implementation
- Resource Modeling Implementation
- Management Enablement Implementation
- CMDBf Implementation
This COSMOS 1.1 is targeted for general availability on 26-June-2009. All deliverables will be available for download as soon as the release has been tested and validated in the target configurations. There is an allocation of resource to defect removal in all iterations. The first Iterations 1-2 will contain the bulk of the enhancement work, with Iteration 3 stabilizing the milestone driver, with Iteration 4 finishing the enhancement work, and Iteration 5 will mainly be used to stabilize and shut down the release.
|Milestone||Duration||Planned Start Date||Planned End Date||Actual Start Date||Actual End Date||Description||Comments|
|Iteration 1||8 weeks||Nov-17-2009||Jan-09-2009||Enhancements|
|i1 Development||5 weeks||Nov-17-2009||Dec-19-2009||Development & bug fixes|
|i1 Testing||3 weeks||Dec-22-2009||Jan-09-2009||Validation Testing|
|Iteration 2||6 weeks||Jan-12-2009||Feb-20-2009||Enhancements|
|i2 Development||4 weeks||Jan-12-2009||Feb-06-2009||Development & bug fixes|
|i2 Testing||2 weeks||Feb-09-2009||Feb-20-2009||Validation Testing|
|Iteration 3||6 weeks||Feb-23-3009||Apr-03-2009||Stabilize|
|i3 Development||4 weeks||Feb-23-2009||Mar-20-2009||Development & bug fixes|
|i3 Testing||2 weeks||Mar-23-2009||Apr-03-2009||Validation Testing|
|Milestone driver||1 day||Apr-03-2009||Apr-03-2009||Available for POCs|
|Iteration 4||6 weeks||Apr-06-2009||May-15-2009||Enhancements|
|i4 Development||4 weeks||Apr-06-2009||May-01-2009||Development & bug fixes|
|i4 Testing||2 weeks||May-04-2009||May-15-2009||Validation Testing|
|Iteration 5||6 weeks||May-18-2009||June-26-2009||Stabilize|
|i5 Development||4 weeks||May-18-2009||June-12-2009||Development & bug fixes|
|i5 Testing||2 weeks||June-15-2009||June-26-2009||Validation Testing|
|COSMOS 1.1 availability||1 day||June-26-2009||June-26-2009||GA Release|
The COSMOS project adopted the following themes which represent the key focus areas for COSMOS enhancements in the year ahead.
- Provide an open platform that is standards-based for extensibility and openness
- Provide exemplary tools for monitoring and management of popular open distributed platforms
- Establish base framework:
- Data collection normalization and persistence framework
- CMDB Federation (CMDBf) support framework
- Validation/Editing/Viewing framework based on Service Modeling Language (SML)
- Deployment framework for management enablement using Solution Deployment Descriptor (SDD)
<NEEDS TO BE UPDATED>
The COSMOS project is comprised of four projects, managed in a coordinated fashion, across which the plan items are allocated. COSMOS projects include:
- Data Collection Project - The COSMOS Data Collection framework aims to provide value by building a standard based integration framework that can incrementally replace the existing ad hoc integrations between agent infrastructures and the management applications that utilize them. The initial focus of the data collection component is the delivery of a framework that provides a well-defined set of service interface types that facilitate the discovery and control of monitoring agents as well as related data services such as collection, transformation, filtering, persistence, and query. These services may be discovered, explored, and controlled through Web Services Distributed Management (WSDM) standard interfaces. They will describe themselves by exposing Service Modeling Language Interchange Format (SML-IF) models using WS-metadata exchange.
- Data Visualization Project (Design Document)- The COSMOS Data Visualization framework aims to provide value by building a standards based integration infrastructure that provides access to two dimensions of the COSMOS management architecture, COSMOS Data Collection and COSMOS Resource Modeling. COSMOS Data Visualization provides a well-defined set of service interface types that facilitate the exploration of the COSMOS Resource Modeling's repository of models and the retrieval of the COSMOS Data Collection's repository of state, event, and performance information. The model repository is semantically linked to the information in the monitor data repository. This relationship, which is managed in Service Modeling Language (SML) through the Resource Modeling component, is used to connect the exploration of the model with data that has been collected.
- Resource Modeling Project - The COSMOS Resource Modeling sub-project aims to provide support for building a common model to represent the information being shared in a system management scenario. The project is proposing to use Service Modeling Language (SML) as the XML schema language to define this common model. The SML-IF interchange format will be used to share model components between the tools involved in a system management activity.
- Management Enablement - To be implemented in a future release
Designs for these projects will be checked in to the COSMOS bugzilla database so that developers can reference them as they create designs for specific plan items.
Plan items targeted for this release represent the addition of new features or areas where existing features will be significantly reworked or enhanced. Plan items are allocated to the projects indicated above.
Milestone 1 Objectives (i1 - i3)
GA Objectives (i4 - i5)
Milestone 3 Objectives (i10 - i11)
- Update SML Validator to align with latest SML specification
- Enhance CMDB Federation Toolkit
- Provide support for non-COSMOS MDRs and clients using vanilla web services
- Provide overall quality and stabilization improvements and reduce defect backlog
- Establish clear set of public APIs & complete externalization of strings
Milestone 4/COSMOS 1.0 GA Objectives (i12-i14)
- Provide SDD Tooling and Runtime for management enablement
- Finalize API
- Enhance quality and documentation