Connectivity Usability Page
It has been voiced that the connectivity framework is a bit awkward to use and that it could be simpler. These are rather vague comments which don't provide much insight into what is wrong with the framework or how it could/should be corrected. This page has been created to try to understand the awkwardness and complexity of the framework.
Areas of focus are:
- Driver Instances - preference page, new wizard, edit dialog, selection controls, etc.
- Connection Profiles - new wizards, property pages, etc.
- Data Source Explorer (DSE) - menus, display, etc.
Please be as honest as possible, and brutal as necessary (we've got thick skin). Also, keep in mind that providing specific examples will help us better understand your comments and suggestions.
Our goal is to use this page to improve the usability and user experience of the connectivity related features within DTP.
There are too many steps required to create a connection:
- Create a driver instance
Available through a preference page or a shortcut from most connection profile new wizards.
- Specify a driver type
- Specify driver jars
- Specify driver class
- Specify default connection URL
- Create a connection profile
- Specify a driver instance
- Specify connection specific properties
- Connect to the server
- Locate newly created connection profile in DSE