Difference between revisions of "COSMOS SDK Installation"
(→Objective of the SDK)
Revision as of 16:19, 29 August 2008
This page provides instructions on how to install and run the COSMOS SDK.
Objective of the SDK
The COSMOS SDK provides the Eclipse-based tooling to develop and test a Management Data Repository (MDR).
Download COSMOS Build and Prerequisites
This section provides instructions for installing and running the SDK provided by COSMOS.
- Install Tomcat 5.5.26. The directory where the Tomcat server is installed will be referred to as the <tomcat_install_dir> in this document.
- From the COSMOS download page, click on the link of the stable build of your choice. Download the zip file under the "COSMOS SDK" section.
- Download the prerequisites for the SDK as specified in the Requirements section of the download page (i.e. Dojo, Tomcat, Axis2, Webtools (WTP), Eclipse, EMF, XSD, and GEF)
- Unzip Eclipse SDK to a directory along with WTP, EMF, XSD, GEFand the COSMOS SDK.
- Unzip Tomcat to a separate directory.
- Unzip Dojo to a separate directory.
- Download IBM Java SDK 5.0 or the Sun Java JDK 1.5* to use with the COSMOS toolkit. IBM Java 5.0 can be found at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/ . Note: if you are using the Sun JRE, you will need to do the following to configure Eclipse to avoid crashing the workspace with the internal web browser:
- Select "General > Web Browser" from the preferences dialog box
- Select the "Use external Web browser" radio button
- Check the "Firefox" entry as the external web browser
Configuring the COSMOS SDK
Before creating a MDR, you must set some configuration options in the preferences page.
- Start up Eclipse.
- Open the preference page by selecting Windows>Preferences. In the preferences dialog, select "Web Services > Axis2 Preferences".
- Enter the Axis 2 directory in the "Axis2 runtime location" text box.
- Next, select "Server > Runtime Environments" in the preference dialog box. Here you will specify the Tomcat runtime.
- Click the "Add..." button. Select "Apache>Apache Tomcat v5.5" and click "Next".
- Enter the location of the Tomcat directory in the "Tomcat installation directory:" text box.
Once you have configured the SDK, you can create a MDR by following the Constructing a Data Manager section in the COSMOS Developer Guide.