COSMOS RE AND BUILD WISH LIST
- 1 Release Engineering and Build Wish List
- 2 COSMOS needs to have a continuous and well-defined build process
- 3 COSMOS builds must be run on the eclipse server
- 4 COSMOS needs to be packaged according to adoption scenarios
- 5 Generate reports and notifications of problems with the build
- 6 We need agreement on the RE team's responsibilities
- 7 Reference
Release Engineering and Build Wish List
<mdw> Since we are opening up enhancement requests, we should tie these back to use cases per our development process. I think many of these, e.g. the download site, would support the idea of the CMDBf toolkit, as an example. </mdw>
COSMOS needs to have a continuous and well-defined build process
Have a functional weekly build
- Process change Developers must check the daily build to ensure that it is not broken.
- Process change Developers must check in their code more frequently; i.e., at least weekly.
- Process change Developers must use the build rather than relying on CVS alone. Developers must download the build regularly and check out only their plugins rather than relying on HEAD.
- 215135 Establish a process for running JUnits against a COSMOS build
The download page must have a build that has ALL the components as soon as they become available.
This should be partly addressed by the actions for Have a functional weekly build. A developer will notice if their component is missing.
- 216169 Dependencies should be automatically be included in the build package
QA Team must be able to start testing before iteration end
- Done Process change We need to have a weekly integration build. Build schedule
COSMOS builds must be run on the eclipse server
This requirement is key to enable all committers to kick off a build.
- 206374 The infrastructure is set up; we can start running the builds on the eclipse server at any time. We should start this sooner rather than later. The earlier in a release we make build changes the more time that we have to react to the breakages that aren't expected but always occur.
- 216499 We need to document the build completely so that all committers know how to start a build manually.
- Done 216650 We need more disk quota.
COSMOS needs to be packaged according to adoption scenarios
- Define the use cases separated by roles (so that we know who needs what).
- Need roles for the Data Collection component.
- Need roles for the Data Visualization component.
- Read first attempt to define these roles for the Resource Modeling component.
- 216771 The code must be refactored so that the build can package the code the way that we think that a consumer intends to use it.
- 214774 209998 Fix other bugzillas for refactoring
- Involve the build team in helping with feature definition to enable an UpdateManager install.
- 216653 Create an update manager site for COSMOS
Generate reports and notifications of problems with the build
- 216591 Build "fire alarm" notification email
- 210263 Fix the copyright reporting tool
- 216630 Detect missing about.html and other files required by legal
- 216654 Detect use of internal API owned by non-COSMOS projects
- Done Post list of the defects that are fixed in a build
- Done Process change Developers must specify the bug number in the CVS comments during check-in. This number is used to generate the list of defects that are fixed in a build.
- 216655 Generate Javadoc for milestone drivers
- 216656 Build Verification Test (BVT), a.k.a. JUnits, results posted next to the build download link
- 218050 Investigate running code coverage tool
We need agreement on the RE team's responsibilities
The COSMOS May 2007 F2F had the following discussion RE Responsibilities