Skip to main content
- Status updates and agenda changes
- Review action items
- Status of community building
- EclipseCon wrapup
- Don Ebright
- Joel Hawkins
- Sheldon Lee-Loy
- Hubert Leung
- Mark Weitzel
- Craig Thomas
- Chris Craddoc
- Representatives of Novell and Aperi attended our BOF and expressed interest in the project. We discussed the potential of working with Novell to build support for their management instrumentation and specifically that it would be very exciting to be able to monitor virtualized Xen environments on SuSE Linux.
- Extensive discussions were held centering on data collection requirements.
- Mark said that Aperi has an SNMP collector and Chris also mentioned that CA has several SNMP implementations that might be relevant.
- Craig pointed out that we should not try to create a full SNMP implementation for device management by June and that we should initially focus on collecting and persisting traps and read-only access to MIBs.
- Our current plan is to create a control layer to query but not update the managed device and a means of collecting, filtering, persisting, and querying SNMP traps. There was some discussion about building a transformer to convert traps to WEF events but it was unclear whether this is a reasonable deliverable for June.
- It was pointed out that starting with an open source agent rather than attempting to open source a part of an existing product is our best choice. This aligns with our focus on increasing rather than decreasing the value of existing commercial assets.
- Chris mentioned that he intends to meet with William Hurley, who is the new chief architect of open source strategy at BMC Software. Don mentioned that this would be a good time to reach out to the Open Management Consortium, which William founded.
- The group discussed the implications of supporting GPL agents, which likely would be required by a number of our current and potential adoptors.
- Mark: Invite Tom Slupeski of the Aperi group to our next meeting to discuss SNMP data collection
- Don: Respond to Toni with a June project plan proposal
- Joel: Provide schema and WSDL for the first set of services that the framework will support for tomorrow's architecture meeting
Copyright © Eclipse Foundation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.