Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose
Having a common build infrastructure at Eclipse.org is important and we're taking steps to get there.
Bjorn has suggested either the week of Oct 13 or 20, but these coincide with the Colorado Software Summit. Perhaps as long as 3 days, eg., Oct 13-15 or 15-17.
The event will most likely be held at the Eclipse Foundation offices in Ottawa .
- To agree on the shape and scope of the working system: what we want it to look like in all its glory, how projects will use it, how they'll interact with it, what the results will be, where they will be, what the inputs will be, how people will specify the inputs, etc.
- To agree on architecture: what we want the various pieces to do in the system.
- To assess where all the pieces of contributed code are today.
- To create a plan for moving from assessment (3) to architecture (2) in support of a working system (1).
- To spend the rest of the available time building the system (1).
Some discussion points may be:
- do we move forward with "un-Modeling-ifying" and "un-vserver-ifying" the current Common Modeling Build to make it more Tools/Tech friendly?
- do we replace web UI with Eclipse UI, eg., with Buckminster?
- do we replace shell scripts w/ java & xml, again, eg., Buckminster?
- do we try something completely different?
If you have had, or will have, build and/or release engineering responsibilities for an Eclipse project, please consider attending.
It is important for attendees to have real-world knowledge of their build system - this is not a meeting for managers, it's a workshop for do-ers. You are also welcome to attend if you have substantial related experience and a willingness to contribute to the workshop's goals.
How to register
Like the last one, this will be an informal event, but we'd like to know who's interested in attending. Please sign here with Name & Role and/or Responsibility:
- Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Eclipse Foundation, organizer
- Nick Boldt, Modeling Project Release Engineer, organizer
- Pascal Rapicault, IBM, PDE Build
We intend come away with a working system that can be community tested and blogger approved . A longer report will be linked here: Build Workshop 3: Build Harder With A Purpose/Report.