Build Workshop 2: Build Harder
Release engineering is important and we're going to pay more attention to it. The Europa Build Workshop in Portland in September 2006 was our first step.
As experienced software developers, we all know that release engineering is an essential part of building high-quality frameworks and tools. Motivated by our desire to reduce the manual overhead of cross-project release engineering for the upcoming coordinated releases of Eclipse 3.5 and 4.0, it's time for another meeting of the minds.
This ad hoc, informal session runs from 10am to 5pm on June 26, 2008.
The event will be held at the Eclipse Foundation offices in Ottawa .
There are two deliverables here: vserver via image file and deployment to pre-existing server via script.
These will be explored and prototyped this:
- Relative differences between needs of:
- single-serving projects (GEF, VE, PDT),
- composite projects (Modeling, DSDP, STP) &
- coordinated projects (Europa, Ganymede, EPP)
- Relative pros/cons of using vserver images as "buildserver in a box" deployables at Eclipse
- Discuss legal issues with distribution of a vserver / vmware / virtualbox / ISO image
- Discuss benefits to Foundation / community if such an offering were possible
- Relative pros/cons of using a deployment script for new projects onto an uberbuilder server, eg., build.eclipse.org
- Relative pros/cons of providing both options
- Build a vserver image; based on EMFT Build Server Setup and EMF Build Server Setup
- Build a deployment script for new project's build infra to build.eclipse (incl. website, username, permissions, required scripts, etc.); loosely based on EMFT Build Server Setup and EMF Build Server Setup
- New/enhanced wiki documentation (Category:Releng)
Though it's admittedly short notice, the date for this event was selected to coincide w/ the Ganymede Release party & Demo Camp on June 25, so that people might already be in town and have all their build pain fresh in mind.
If you have had, or will have, build and/or release engineering responsibilities for an Eclipse project, please consider attending.
It is important for attendees to have real-world knowledge of their build system - this is not a meeting for managers, it's a workshop for do-ers. You were also welcome to attend if you have substantial related experience and a willingness to contribute to the workshop's goals.
How to register
This is an informal event, but we'd like to know who's interested in attending. Please sign here with Name & Role and/or Responsibility:
- Denis Roy, Eclipse Webmaster, organizer/host
- Nick Boldt, Modeling Project Release Engineer, organizer
Like any good EclipseCON tutorial, the workshop will start with talk, then move into actual hands-on coding.
Here's one possible agenda:
- 10:00-10:45 Discuss!
- 10:45-12:00 Build first vserver prototype
- 12:00-12:45 Lunch
- 12:45-13:15 Assess vserver prototype; document limitations
- 13:15-14:15 Build second prototype; document in wiki
- 14:15-14:30 Break
- 14:30-16:30 Write and test deployment script prototype; commit to CVS & document in wiki
- 16:30-17:00 Documentation & wrap-up
The cross-projects mailing list: https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev