Buckminster Galileo Builder
The Buckminster Galileo Builder was created to enable a fast but still very accurate build of the Galileo release train. It's provided as a single feature to be installed either into an IDE or into some headless environment.
The build will perform the following steps:
- Generate a full build model from the all contributions.
- Create a composite repositories that includes all contributed repositories.
- Create a special category repository that includes categories declared in the model.
- Create a feature that includes all contributed features and bundles.
- Verify that the feature can be installed into all configurations declared in the model.
- Create a mirror that includes everything. The mirroring is selective and will only bring in the transitive closure of all contributions. No categories are copied from the contributions. This last step is optional.
The builder should make a fairly good job of determining where to send emails when things go wrong. So far, this functionality has been tested using mock emails only. I think we should continue in that vein until everything is found working properly and the builder is used in production. I.e. do not pass the -production flag to the builder unless you really know what you're doing.
How to get started
- Start an Eclipse 3.5 installation, I20090407-1430 or newer. If you don't have one available, it can be downloaded from here http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/
- Use the P2 update manager and add the update site http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/tools-3.5/
- Install the Galileo Builder feature found under the Buckminster Tools category
Running the build
From the command lineJust type:
eclipse -nosplash -application org.eclipse.buckminster.galileo.build.app <options>
From within the IDE
Create a Launch Configuration of type Eclipse Application, check Run an application, select org.eclipse.buckminster.galileo.build.app, go to the Arguments tab and enter the options, then click Run (or Debug).
Command line options
|-verifyOnly||N/A||Only verify all meta-data. Do not create a mirror|
|-update||N/A||Reuse the results of the previous run, i.e. update metadata and, if applicable, the mirror|
|-production||N/A||Enable sending of emails to proper addresses|
|-logLevel||ERROR, WARNING, INFO, or DEBUG||Control the verbosity of the trace output. Default level is INFO|
|-buildModel||<path to file>||An absolute path to the galileo.build file (the one found adjacent to all contributions)|
|-buildRoot||<path to folder>||A path denoting the folder where all generated artifacts will end up. This setting overrides the attribute with the same name in the build model.|
|-buildId||<build id>||The ID of the current build.|
|-targetPlatformRepository||<URL>||A pointer to the repository that contains the target platform. Typically the last milestone or an I-Build.|