BIRT PMC Minutes - Monday, September 22, 2008
< To: BIRT PMC Minutes
Monday, September 22, 2008 @ 10am Pacific.
- Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation
- Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
- Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
- Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions
Unable to Attend
- Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation
BIRT 2.3 SR1 Development (Fall Maintenance Release)
The BIRT 2.3.1 Release Candidate build was made available on September 18 for testing. Final release date is planned for this Wed, September 24 and we are on track for that date.
As of today, we have address 642 issues in this release (see Bugzilla query below for details).
BIRT 2.3 SR1 is the first maintenance release for BIRT 2.3. It is part of the coordinated Service Release for the Ganymede project. More information on the coordinated release can be found in the Service Release section of the Ganymede pages.
Target date for the release is Wednesday September 24, 2008.
The designation for this release is BIRT 2.3 SR1, with the version number as BIRT 2.3.1.
The Development Plan for BIRT 2.3 SR1 is available on the Eclipse BIRT Project Development Plan pages. The Milestone schedule for the release is available in the Service Release timeline section of the Ganymede project page (BIRT is a "+2" project in this schedule).
For a list of bugs assigned to this release, refer to Bugzilla: BIRT 2.3 SR1 Bugs assigned in Bugzilla
BIRT 2.3 SR2 Development (Fall Maintenance Release)
With SR1 almost out the door, we will be turning our attention to SR2 (BIRT 2.3.2), which is scheduled for a February 25, 2009 release date.
SR2 is a maintenance release and will have similar objectives to SR1 -- i.e. a focus on addressing community reported bugs.
The release plan will be posted for review in the coming weeks.
BIRT 2.5 Development
Current estimate for detailed planning for this release is October / November.
Two candidate projects for BIRT 2.5 were discussed today:
- Improved supported for printed/PDF reports. While BIRT does support printed report formats today, there has been community feedback that this is an area that can be improved. For example, better support for including report content in Master Pages, and better pagination. This is an area that will likely be included in the BIRT 2.5 plan.
- Emittter support for all report item types. For example, charts are not included in BIRT Excel output today.
The June 2009 release of BIRT will be BIRT 2.5. Detailed planning has not be finalized since we are focusing on the BIRT 2.3 SR1 release for the next few months. However, some provisional planning has been completed via Bugzilla. To review, refer to Bugzilla using Target = 2.5 and Keyword "Plan"
BIRT 2.5 will be part of the Galileo Simultaneous Release.
XML Release Plan Format
The BIRT project plans to move to the standardized XML plan format for release plans. We will adopt this format for the BIRT 2.5 development plan and forward.
We have also noted considerable discussion on the XML format in the Cross-Project mailing list. We will be watching for conclusions after the Planning Council meeting next month.
Team Project Sets
Scott has created a utility that generates Team Project Sets for the BIRT project - which makes it easier for the community to download the files required to build BIRT. We will manually post the file Team Project Set for BIRT 2.3.1 on the download page for that release. Going forward, we will add the automatic generation of this file into the process for the project and ensure that it is available for each release.
This is tracked with Bugzilla #236988.
Webinar Series on BIRT Exchange:
BIRT Exchange has hosted a series of technical webinars on BIRT. For archived and other upcoming webinars see the Webinar Page on BIRT Exchange.
Other Upcoming Events:
- EclipseWorld 2008 on October 28-30, 2008 - Reston, VA - 2 Sessions on BIRT
- JAX 2008 on Spring, 2009 (Note: This conference has been rescheduled from it's original October 2008 date) - San Jose, CA - Introduction to BIRT 2.3
Jason is updating (if needed) and posting a number of BIRT articles on BIRT Exchange. For example:
Check BIRT Exchange periodically for additional articles.
In additon, a full list of major articles can be found on the Wiki page for BIRT Project Articles.
Other articles, tips and techniques, demos and other resoures can be found on the BIRT Exchange community site.