Asterisk Conference Calls
Asterisk Client Setup
In order to connect to the Asterisk conferencing system you will need either a SIP or an IAX protocol client. IAX has a protocol advantage over SIP in that it automatically handles Network Address Translation (NAT) configuration. Since nearly all Internet users pass through a NAT gateway on their way to the Internet, we will focus on IAX. There are several usable IAX client but the most mature and simplest of these to use and set up is the IAX client Idefisk which is available from http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk/free . This client is available on Linux, Win32, and MacOSX. The screenshots below are from Win32 but the appearance and configuration are nearly exactly the same on all platforms and the defaults are usually correct.
Here's how to make your first call to the Eclipse Foundation's asterisk conference server:
- Download Idefisk from http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk/free by clicking on the icon for your operating system about half way down the page
- If you are on Windows choose the ZIP version
- Make a new folder for Idefisk
- On Windows you might want to put this in c:\program files\
- On MacOSX you might want to put this in /Applications
- Link Idefisk to where you will run it
- On MacOSX drag the icon into the dock at the bottom of the screen
- On Windows, right click the Idefisk icon (man with a headset) and select 'Create Shortcut'. Move the new shortcut to the desktop
- Launch Idefisk by clicking on the icon
- When presented with the following screen, select "Skip and go to manual configuration," then click "Next"
- You will then see a screen like this, and you will just press "OK"
- That's it for the setup! To make a call, enter 'asterisk.eclipse.org' in the "Phone to dial" text box like this, and then press the little phone icon (highlighted in red):
- When you are connected you will be asked for a conference number. In order to enter the conference number you will need the phone number pad (DTMF pad) which you can cause to appear by pressing the little sideways arrow highlighted in this shot:
- In order to test your client, we'll connect to a test conference. The conference number is "8976" and the PIN is "12345". If you successfully connect to the conference then everything is in order!