Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday September 11, 2008 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Sign up here if you want to get mentioned, since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
- John Graham
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes August 14 2008#Action Items
- Boris to start Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations
- Martin to draft an E-Mail to eclipse.org-committers for review, inviting to put EAC on CC of bugs
- Martin to send E-Mail to EAC list as a reminder for "Architectural Walkthrough". Will propose this to the public only when we get one more project so sign up (in addition to mylyn) to make the review by putting together material (slideware, ...)
- MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- Bjorn or Anne to add a "year of appointment" to members on the councils page
- Martin to propose alternate meeting scheme on the mailing list
- Everyone to think about time commitments that can be made for "architectural things" at Eclipse (3 hours == 1 hr meeting + 2 hrs E-Mail and mentoring)
- Everyone to propose new members on the mailing list
- Martin to create bugzilla bugs for the ISchedulingRule and LGPL discussions
- Meeting Dates - any additional comments?
- Architecture Council/Members and Mentors - is it accurate?
- What projects should have a mentor? (Every / Incubation / Those who ask / ...?)
- What to do with the COSMOS and Aperi projects, which seem mentorless after Harm Sluiman quit
- Other wishes for re-assigning mentorship?
- Dormant Status Proposal:
- Do the 3 month / 1 year times make sense?
- Mike needs to sign off changes in membership
- New Member Proposals:
- Are we too big a crowd already? New Member Proposals?
- Some ideas (from E4 mostly): Dave Carver, Tom Schindl, Scott Lewis, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Kevin McGuire, David Orme, Paul Webster, Paul Coltron
- Google Calendar Bugs and Requests -- does anybody know how to report them?
- Changing an event, "Dont send" does send notifications
- Response from to mailing list invitation should track attendance of each member separately
News from the Board (EMO)
- We have board reps and EMO reps on the council (Mike, Bjorn, Jeff, Ed, zx, Mik and Doug Gaff; Wayne)
- Would like to have a standing "news from the board" topic, since as mentors we should be top informed
- Other channels (PlanetEclipse, Blog, Committers / Project-leads mailing list, ...) should work but 1st-hand is better
- Do information channels work well?
Top Ten Recommendations
- Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations
- More recommendations?
- Add links into some code which exposes a recommendation as example?
- Could easily convert a Recommendation into an article / blog post / ... ("The EAC Series")
LGPL Works-with vs. Requires
Other Ideas for Discussion
- Mentoring New Projects
- Experiences? What could be improved?
- Nick & Denis Build Workshop 2: Build Harder -- to be continued under Dash when Nick is back from honeymoon & vacation. Adding a representative of Dash to the EAC?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
- Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
- IP due diligence and the processes around it
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?