Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes October 9 2008"

(Next Meeting)
 
(9 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 12: Line 12:
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
 
* Sign up here (''alphabetical by last name''), since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
 
* Sign up here (''alphabetical by last name''), since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
* '''Signed-up:''' Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, Richard Gronback, Mike Milinkovich, Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne "Mad Dog" Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Georg Schmidt, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Thomas Watson, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
* '''Tentative:''' Timothy deBoer, John Duimovich, John Wiegand,
+
* '''Tentative:''' Timothy deBoer, John Duimovich, John Wiegand
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Oliver Cole, Adrian Colyer, Doug Gaff, Jochen Krause
+
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Oliver Cole, Adrian Colyer, Doug Gaff, Jochen Krause, Tom Schindl, Karsten Schmidt
* '''Unknown:'''
+
* '''No-Show:''' Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Richard Gronback, Thomas Hallgren, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams
** Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne "Mad Dog" Beaton, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, John Graham, Thomas Hallgren, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Andrew Overholt, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, August Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, Mark Vandenbrink, Thomas Watson, David Williams
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 23: Line 22:
 
=== Review of Action Items ===
 
=== Review of Action Items ===
 
* Last meeting [[Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008#Action Items]]
 
* Last meeting [[Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008#Action Items]]
* (''old'') Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
+
* (''until next mtg'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
* (''old'') MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
+
** 1 wiki page, some design decisions,
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] Martin to send out E-Mail about the EAC Bug component
+
** prepare until nov 13, maybe discuss later
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] Wayne to list mentor-less technology projects on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] page
+
* (''still committed'') '''MichaelS''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 +
* (''still committed'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' to send out E-Mail about the EAC Bug component
 +
* ''ongoing'' '''Wayne''' to list mentor-less technology projects on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] page
 
* All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors]] page
 
* All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors]] page
** Done Status per PMC ([http://www.eclipse.org/projects/listofprojects.php List of Projects]): BIRT, DSDP [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], DTP, Eclipse, Modeling, RT, STP, Technology [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], Tools, TPTP, WTP
+
** Done Status per PMC ([http://www.eclipse.org/projects/listofprojects.php List of Projects]): BIRT [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], DSDP [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], DTP [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], Eclipse ''not yet'', Modeling ''not yet'', RT ''not yet'', STP [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], Technology ''ongoing'', Tools [[Image:Ok_green.gif]], TPTP ''no incubating projects'', WTP [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] found ATF
 +
** Martin thinks that only incubating projects need mentors
 +
** Wayne thinks that on Technology, every project should have at least one mentor - '''AI Wayne''' create a bug to add Mentor in the Portal
 +
** Wayne: As a fairly recent change, mentors must be on the AC
 
** Technology: Subversive? / STP: SCA Tools? / Tools: Hibachi moved from DougG to DougS? / WTP: ATF?
 
** Technology: Subversive? / STP: SCA Tools? / Tools: Hibachi moved from DougG to DougS? / WTP: ATF?
* (''40% done'') Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] page
+
** Wayne: Burden is with the '''Projects''' to make themselves interesting, and ''attract a mentor''
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] Martin to add call-in details to Google Calendar Reminders
+
*** '''Mentors''' have some responsibility -- '''AI Martin''' start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
* Everyone to edit the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations]] page
+
*** Should existing projects have mentors too? -- Defer to next meeting, let's do incubating projects
* Everyone to hyperlink on the new [[Architecture Council/Links Collection]] to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
+
* (''40% done'') '''Everyone''' to hyperlink to their Bio on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] page
* Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
+
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' to add call-in details to Google Calendar Reminders
 +
* '''Everyone''' to edit the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations]] page
 +
* '''Everyone''' to hyperlink on the new [[Architecture Council/Links Collection]] to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
 +
** Boris likes the page, we should add more
  
 
=== Administrative ===
 
=== Administrative ===
* New Members: Tom Schindl (appointed), David Carver (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
+
* '''New Members''': Tom Schindl (appointed), David Carver (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
* Missing Affiliations on the [http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#architecture Councils Page] - Please contact [mailto:emo@eclipse.org Anne Jacko <mailto:emo@eclpise.org>]:
+
* '''Missing Affiliations''' on the [http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#architecture Councils Page] - Please contact [mailto:emo@eclipse.org Anne Jacko <mailto:emo@eclpise.org>]:
 
** David Carver - [http://www.starstandard.org STAR]
 
** David Carver - [http://www.starstandard.org STAR]
 
** Adrian Colyer - [http://www.springsource.com SpringSource]
 
** Adrian Colyer - [http://www.springsource.com SpringSource]
Line 44: Line 52:
 
** Tom Schindl - [http://www.bestsolution.at/team.html.en BestSolution.at]
 
** Tom Schindl - [http://www.bestsolution.at/team.html.en BestSolution.at]
 
** Karsten Schmidt -
 
** Karsten Schmidt -
** Gunnar Wagenknecht -
+
** Gunnar Wagenknecht -  
 
* Potential new member: Has anybody worked with David Orme so far?
 
* Potential new member: Has anybody worked with David Orme so far?
 +
** Ed think that he would be a very great addition, very insightful on architecture, very idealistic; Boris agrees, though not been very active at Eclipse recently; DougS -- he comes to all the parties; Ed: would he come to the meetings? '''AI Martin''' contact him
 
* [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg00588.html Dormant proposal] fleshed out:
 
* [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg00588.html Dormant proposal] fleshed out:
 
** Being dormant means not being waited for in case of elections, and not being invited to meetings
 
** Being dormant means not being waited for in case of elections, and not being invited to meetings
* Want to change meeting invitations to personal ones via Google Calendar instead of the Mailing List - will hopefully also help to track meeting attendance
+
** New members don't know what "being active" means... mentoring new AC members? Guiding them on how to get active? How does the AC work? - '''AI Georg''' write down E-mail: AC from perspective of a new member
 +
** Otherwise, proposal is accepted
 +
* '''Attendance Tracking:''' Want to change meeting invitations to personal ones via Google Calendar instead of the Mailing List - will hopefully also help to track meeting attendance
 
** Anybody have a problem with their E-mail stored at Google?
 
** Anybody have a problem with their E-mail stored at Google?
 
** Want minimum effort for everyone to track attendance... Web Poll won't work, E-Mail is so-so
 
** Want minimum effort for everyone to track attendance... Web Poll won't work, E-Mail is so-so
 +
** Boris: AC calendar merged into personal calendar; added personal reminder; Google Spreadsheet?
 +
*** Georg against using Google too much
 +
*** '''AI Martin''' start a thread on ML to find a better solution
  
 
==== How the AC Works ====
 
==== How the AC Works ====
Line 60: Line 74:
 
=== News from the EMO & Councils ===
 
=== News from the EMO & Councils ===
 
* (was: News from the Board)
 
* (was: News from the Board)
* How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
+
* '''How to officially communicate Requirements''' and especially their changes (deltas) (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
 
** Who does still not know about the requirement to track 3rd party lib dependencies by a CQ? (Last one in [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ip-process-in-cartoons.php The IP Process in 8 cartoons])?
 
** Who does still not know about the requirement to track 3rd party lib dependencies by a CQ? (Last one in [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/ip-process-in-cartoons.php The IP Process in 8 cartoons])?
 
** Options: Watch the Wiki, read Bjorn's blog, read the dev process RSS feed, eclipse.org-committers-announce, eclipse.org-project-leads, other?
 
** Options: Watch the Wiki, read Bjorn's blog, read the dev process RSS feed, eclipse.org-committers-announce, eclipse.org-project-leads, other?
 +
*** Wayne: Wiki, website / projects, mentors ... bjorn's blog ... newsgroups, mailing lists
 +
*** Ed: Mentioned on Board Level, that process changes need to be notified properly (committer mailing list?)
 +
*** Michael: Information flow is a general problem
 +
*** Wayne: Biggest problem is not knowing what needs to be done... how to find information about something you don't know
 +
*** Ed: Webinar, EclipseCon... "Stuff that all committers should know" (Doug Gaff's EclipseCon 2008 presentation "how do I lead my project" was very well attended and received)
 +
*** Michael: "Eclipse Driver's License" ... questions that you need to answer ... idea of certifying and re-certifying committers pushed back ... Michael: Test as a '''voluntary method'''
 +
*** Martin: Who's managing the PMC's?
 +
*** Ed: IBM would have a Business Conduct with Questions
 +
*** '''AI Martin''' file a bug for discussion
 
* '''RC - Roadmap Process''': [[RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities]]
 
* '''RC - Roadmap Process''': [[RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities]]
 
** Does the RC even exist at this point?
 
** Does the RC even exist at this point?
** Are we going to feed back the themes from the proejct plans into the T&P, or try to find some mapping?
+
** Are we going to feed back the themes from the project plans into the T&P, or try to find some mapping?
 
** What is Bjorn's Roadmap Generation Tool going to do?
 
** What is Bjorn's Roadmap Generation Tool going to do?
 
* Wayne: '''eclipse.org-evangelists''' mailing list, current speaking opportunities
 
* Wayne: '''eclipse.org-evangelists''' mailing list, current speaking opportunities
 
** [[Community Development for Eclipse Projects]] page
 
** [[Community Development for Eclipse Projects]] page
* '''PC''' - Richard Gronback: '''New Galileo Requirements''' from the Planning Council?
+
* '''PC''' - Richard Gronback: '''New [[Galileo]] Requirements''' from the Planning Council?
* '''StAC''' - Don Smith: Outcome of the '''StAC meeting at Eclipse World'''?
+
** Must do: Use only Published API by M6
 
+
** Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
=== Call out: Attendance Check ===
+
** Must do: Use Babel by M6
 +
* Don: '''StAC meeting at Eclipse World'''?
  
 
=== Recent EAC bugs ===
 
=== Recent EAC bugs ===
* Request for a mentor for COSMOS
 
 
* How to facilitate discussions among committers?
 
* How to facilitate discussions among committers?
 
** Proposal: Create a new '''eclipse.org-committers-announce''' mailing list for official announcements. Allow discussions on current committers list.
 
** Proposal: Create a new '''eclipse.org-committers-announce''' mailing list for official announcements. Allow discussions on current committers list.
 +
** '''AI Martin''' ask the webmaster / EMO to create the list
 +
* Request for a mentor for COSMOS
 
* {{bug|249371}} The new [http://www.eclipse.org Eclipse.org homepage]
 
* {{bug|249371}} The new [http://www.eclipse.org Eclipse.org homepage]
 
* {{bug|249959}} Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
 
* {{bug|249959}} Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
Line 83: Line 108:
 
* {{bug|246840}} Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
 
* {{bug|246840}} Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
 
* {{bug|246945}} Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
 
* {{bug|246945}} Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
 
=== How to start Releng? ===
 
* [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg00578.html How to start a releng project for unattended builds] on the ML - PDE build docs are good but only half the story
 
* Bjorn, NickB & Denis [[Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose]] but is that an answer for now? Current status?
 
** Refer people to clone existing projects' releng? Which ones are good?
 
 
=== Top Ten Recommendations ===
 
* [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations]] - should we start sorting them?
 
* [[Architecture Council/Links Collection]] - want more, more, more!
 
 
=== Relationship to [[E4]] ===
 
* [[E4/Pervasive Themes]] - Performance, Memory Footprint, [http://borisoneclipse.blogspot.com/2008/10/avoiding-bloat.html Bloat (Boris' Blog)], Concurrency
 
* Invite E4 to present to the EAC?
 
 
=== Concurrency ===
 
* Examples: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=245573#c12 bug 245573 comment 12] (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); {{bug|246840}} discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
 
* What is causing issues?
 
** work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
 
** work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
 
** General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
 
** Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
 
** Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of [[E4]] ?
 
*** [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse-incubator-e4-dev/msg00615.html David Orme] mentions DataBinding Realms and the [http://fpgacomputing.blogspot.com/2008/08/threads-considered-harmful-for-same.html Threads Considered Harmful] blog which references Erlang message-based concurrence
 
*** Would it help to become more asynchronous under the hood, even if old APIs need to remain for compatibility?
 
*** Are there any other good known models for concurrency?
 
** Better Javadoc ?
 
*** Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
 
** Articles ? - John referenced the [http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Resource-deltas/resource-deltas.html#1d resouce-deltas] article
 
 
 
=== Other Ideas for Discussion ===
 
* '''Mentoring New Projects'''
 
** Experiences? What could be improved?
 
** Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
 
 
* '''Mentoring Galileo''': What could be improved?
 
** Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
 
** Don't duplicate work done by the [[Planning Council]]
 
** '''Integrated bug reporting''': Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers {{bug|212209}} (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ).  Do we want this for Galileo?
 
 
* [[E4]] now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
 
 
* '''Eclipse Pain Points'''
 
** Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
 
** Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
 
** IP due diligence and the processes around it
 
** Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
 
** But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?
 
*** Re-activate [[Top Ten Architectural Problems in all of Eclipse]] ?
 
*** Re-activate [[Architecture Council Discovery and Reuse Activity]] ?
 
 
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
+
* (''until next mtg'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
 +
* (''old'') '''Everyone''' to hyperlink to their Bio on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] page
 +
* (''old'') '''Everyone''' to hyperlink on the new [[Architecture Council/Links Collection]] to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
 +
* (''old'') '''All PMC's''' to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors]] page: '''Wayne''' for Technology, '''McQ''' for Eclipse, '''Ed''' for Modeling, '''Tom''' for RT; WTP to add '''ATF''' to the page
 +
* '''Wayne''' to file bug for portal to add fields for project mentors
 +
* '''Ed, Gunnar, Karsten''' to E-Mail their affiliation to Anne Jacko <emo@eclipse.org>
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Georg''' {{bug|250348}} to send an E-mail to the AC list with questions / things unclear for him as a new AC member
 +
* '''Martin''' to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' to contact David Orme
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250320}} ask webmaster to create eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250315}} asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250317}} for discussing ways of spreading EMO information
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
* [[Architecture Council]] call on [[Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008|Thursday, November 13]]
 
* [[Architecture Council]] call on [[Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008|Thursday, November 13]]
 +
 +
[[Category:Architecture Council Meeting Minutes]]

Latest revision as of 11:03, 22 December 2008

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday October 9, 2008 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Attendees

  • Sign up here (alphabetical by last name), since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne "Mad Dog" Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Georg Schmidt, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Thomas Watson, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
  • Tentative: Timothy deBoer, John Duimovich, John Wiegand
  • Regrets: John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Oliver Cole, Adrian Colyer, Doug Gaff, Jochen Krause, Tom Schindl, Karsten Schmidt
  • No-Show: Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Richard Gronback, Thomas Hallgren, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Action Items

  • Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008#Action Items
  • (until next mtg) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
    • 1 wiki page, some design decisions,
    • prepare until nov 13, maybe discuss later
  • (still committed) MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (still committed) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
  • Ok green.gif Martin to send out E-Mail about the EAC Bug component
  • ongoing Wayne to list mentor-less technology projects on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
  • All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page
    • Done Status per PMC (List of Projects): BIRT Ok green.gif, DSDP Ok green.gif, DTP Ok green.gif, Eclipse not yet, Modeling not yet, RT not yet, STP Ok green.gif, Technology ongoing, Tools Ok green.gif, TPTP no incubating projects, WTP Ok green.gif found ATF
    • Martin thinks that only incubating projects need mentors
    • Wayne thinks that on Technology, every project should have at least one mentor - AI Wayne create a bug to add Mentor in the Portal
    • Wayne: As a fairly recent change, mentors must be on the AC
    • Technology: Subversive? / STP: SCA Tools? / Tools: Hibachi moved from DougG to DougS? / WTP: ATF?
    • Wayne: Burden is with the Projects to make themselves interesting, and attract a mentor
      • Mentors have some responsibility -- AI Martin start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
      • Should existing projects have mentors too? -- Defer to next meeting, let's do incubating projects
  • (40% done) Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
  • Ok green.gif Martin to add call-in details to Google Calendar Reminders
  • Everyone to edit the Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations page
  • Everyone to hyperlink on the new Architecture Council/Links Collection to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
    • Boris likes the page, we should add more

Administrative

  • New Members: Tom Schindl (appointed), David Carver (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
  • Missing Affiliations on the Councils Page - Please contact Anne Jacko <mailto:emo@eclpise.org>:
  • Potential new member: Has anybody worked with David Orme so far?
    • Ed think that he would be a very great addition, very insightful on architecture, very idealistic; Boris agrees, though not been very active at Eclipse recently; DougS -- he comes to all the parties; Ed: would he come to the meetings? AI Martin contact him
  • Dormant proposal fleshed out:
    • Being dormant means not being waited for in case of elections, and not being invited to meetings
    • New members don't know what "being active" means... mentoring new AC members? Guiding them on how to get active? How does the AC work? - AI Georg write down E-mail: AC from perspective of a new member
    • Otherwise, proposal is accepted
  • Attendance Tracking: Want to change meeting invitations to personal ones via Google Calendar instead of the Mailing List - will hopefully also help to track meeting attendance
    • Anybody have a problem with their E-mail stored at Google?
    • Want minimum effort for everyone to track attendance... Web Poll won't work, E-Mail is so-so
    • Boris: AC calendar merged into personal calendar; added personal reminder; Google Spreadsheet?
      • Georg against using Google too much
      • AI Martin start a thread on ML to find a better solution

How the AC Works

  • Been disappointed by lack of participation in recent initiatives (action items).
  • With such a large group, just sitting at the phone meeting is not what counts. The monthly phone meeting is mostly a reminder for action items, inspiration for new things through live discussion, aggregation of information, and a fast resolve issues of disagreement.
    • All other work needs to be offline. Use this as an encouragement for people to still participate even if they can't join the phone call.
    • What really counts is involvement in E-Mail / Bugzilla discussions, engagement in the action items, and pro-active finding, articulating and tracking potential improvements to Eclipse as a Whole.

News from the EMO & Councils

  • (was: News from the Board)
  • How to officially communicate Requirements and especially their changes (deltas) (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
    • Who does still not know about the requirement to track 3rd party lib dependencies by a CQ? (Last one in The IP Process in 8 cartoons)?
    • Options: Watch the Wiki, read Bjorn's blog, read the dev process RSS feed, eclipse.org-committers-announce, eclipse.org-project-leads, other?
      • Wayne: Wiki, website / projects, mentors ... bjorn's blog ... newsgroups, mailing lists
      • Ed: Mentioned on Board Level, that process changes need to be notified properly (committer mailing list?)
      • Michael: Information flow is a general problem
      • Wayne: Biggest problem is not knowing what needs to be done... how to find information about something you don't know
      • Ed: Webinar, EclipseCon... "Stuff that all committers should know" (Doug Gaff's EclipseCon 2008 presentation "how do I lead my project" was very well attended and received)
      • Michael: "Eclipse Driver's License" ... questions that you need to answer ... idea of certifying and re-certifying committers pushed back ... Michael: Test as a voluntary method
      • Martin: Who's managing the PMC's?
      • Ed: IBM would have a Business Conduct with Questions
      • AI Martin file a bug for discussion
  • RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities
    • Does the RC even exist at this point?
    • Are we going to feed back the themes from the project plans into the T&P, or try to find some mapping?
    • What is Bjorn's Roadmap Generation Tool going to do?
  • Wayne: eclipse.org-evangelists mailing list, current speaking opportunities
  • PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
    • Must do: Use only Published API by M6
    • Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
    • Must do: Use Babel by M6
  • Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World?

Recent EAC bugs

  • How to facilitate discussions among committers?
    • Proposal: Create a new eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list for official announcements. Allow discussions on current committers list.
    • AI Martin ask the webmaster / EMO to create the list
  • Request for a mentor for COSMOS
  • bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
  • bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
  • bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse)
  • bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
  • bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)

Action Items

  • (until next mtg) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
  • (old) Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
  • (old) Everyone to hyperlink on the new Architecture Council/Links Collection to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
  • (old) All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page: Wayne for Technology, McQ for Eclipse, Ed for Modeling, Tom for RT; WTP to add ATF to the page
  • Wayne to file bug for portal to add fields for project mentors
  • Ed, Gunnar, Karsten to E-Mail their affiliation to Anne Jacko <emo@eclipse.org>
  • Ok green.gif Georg bug 250348 to send an E-mail to the AC list with questions / things unclear for him as a new AC member
  • Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
  • Ok green.gif Martin to contact David Orme
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250320 ask webmaster to create eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250315 asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250317 for discussing ways of spreading EMO information

Next Meeting