Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 13, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- See the Attendance Tracking Poll for this meeting, and this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes October 9 2008#Action Items
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
- (old) MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
- (old) Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
- (old) Everyone to hyperlink on the new Architecture Council/Links Collection to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
- (old) All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page: Wayne for Technology, McQ for Eclipse, Ed for Modeling, Tom for RT; WTP to add ATF to the page
- Wayne to file bug for portal to add fields for project mentors
- Ed, Gunnar, Karsten to E-Mail their affiliation to Anne Jacko <email@example.com>
- Georg to send an E-mail to the AC list with questions / things unclear for him as a new AC member
- Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- Martin to contact David Orme
- Martin bug 250320 ask webmaster to create eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list
- Martin bug 250315 asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
- Martin bug 250317 for discussing ways of spreading EMO information
- New Members: Tom Schindl (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
- Tracking Meeting Attendance
News from the EMO & Councils
- EMO: How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
- RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities
- Wayne: Community Development for Eclipse Projects page
- PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
- Must do: Use only Published API by M6
- Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
- Must do: Use Babel by M6
- Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World?
Recent EAC bugs
- Request for a mentor for COSMOS
- bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
- bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
- bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse)
- bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
- bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
How to start Releng?
- How to start a releng project for unattended builds on the ML - PDE build docs are good but only half the story
- Bjorn, NickB & Denis Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose but is that an answer for now? Current status?
- Refer people to clone existing projects' releng? Which ones are good?
Top Ten Recommendations
- Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations - should we start sorting them?
- Architecture Council/Links Collection - want more, more, more!
Relationship to E4
- E4/Pervasive Themes - Performance, Memory Footprint, Bloat (Boris' Blog), Concurrency
- Invite E4 to present to the EAC?
- Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
- What is causing issues?
- work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
- work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
- General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
- Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
- Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
- Better Javadoc ?
- Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
- Articles ? - John referenced the resouce-deltas article
Other Ideas for Discussion
- Mentoring New Projects
- Experiences? What could be improved?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
- Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
- IP due diligence and the processes around it
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?