Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 13, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Sign up here (alphabetical by last name), since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
- Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne "Mad Dog" Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Georg Schmidt, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Thomas Watson, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
- Timothy deBoer, John Duimovich, John Wiegand
- John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Oliver Cole, Adrian Colyer, Doug Gaff, Jochen Krause, Jeff McAffer
- Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Thomas Hallgren, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Karsten Schmidt, Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams
- Richard Gronback, Mike Milinkovich
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes October 9 2008#Action Items
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
- (old) MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
- (old) Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
- (old) Everyone to hyperlink on the new Architecture Council/Links Collection to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
- (old) All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page: Wayne for Technology, McQ for Eclipse, Ed for Modeling, Tom for RT; WTP to add ATF to the page
- Wayne to file bug for portal to add fields for project mentors
- Ed, Gunnar, Karsten to E-Mail their affiliation to Anne Jacko <email@example.com>
- Georg to send an E-mail to the AC list with questions / things unclear for him as a new AC member
- Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- Martin to contact David Orme
- Martin to draft an E-Mail asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
- Martin to file a bug for discussing ways of spreading EMO information
- New Members: Tom Schindl (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
- Tracking Meeting Attendance
News from the EMO & Councils
- EMO: How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
- RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities
- Wayne: Community Development for Eclipse Projects page
- PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
- Must do: Use only Published API by M6
- Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
- Must do: Use Babel by M6
- Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World?
Recent EAC bugs
- Request for a mentor for COSMOS
- bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
- bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
- bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse)
- bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
- bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
How to start Releng?
- How to start a releng project for unattended builds on the ML - PDE build docs are good but only half the story
- Bjorn, NickB & Denis Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose but is that an answer for now? Current status?
- Refer people to clone existing projects' releng? Which ones are good?
Top Ten Recommendations
- Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations - should we start sorting them?
- Architecture Council/Links Collection - want more, more, more!
Relationship to E4
- E4/Pervasive Themes - Performance, Memory Footprint, Bloat (Boris' Blog), Concurrency
- Invite E4 to present to the EAC?
- Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
- What is causing issues?
- work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
- work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
- General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
- Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
- Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
- Better Javadoc ?
- Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
- Articles ? - John referenced the resouce-deltas article
Other Ideas for Discussion
- Mentoring New Projects
- Experiences? What could be improved?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
- Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
- IP due diligence and the processes around it
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?