Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''Architecture Council Monthly Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Thursday November 13, 2008 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worl...)
 
Line 40: Line 40:
 
* '''Martin''' to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
 
* '''Martin''' to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
 
* '''Martin''' to contact David Orme
 
* '''Martin''' to contact David Orme
* '''Martin''' to draft an E-Mail asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
+
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250320}} ask webmaster to create eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list
* '''Martin''' to file a bug for discussing ways of spreading EMO information
+
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250315}} asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' {{bug|250317}} for discussing ways of spreading EMO information
  
 
=== Administrative ===
 
=== Administrative ===

Revision as of 13:06, 9 October 2008

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday November 13, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Contents

Attendees

  • Sign up here (alphabetical by last name), since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
  • Signed-up:
  • Tentative:
  • Regrets:
  • No-Show:
  • Unknown:
    • Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne "Mad Dog" Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Georg Schmidt, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Thomas Watson, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
    • Timothy deBoer, John Duimovich, John Wiegand
    • John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Oliver Cole, Adrian Colyer, Doug Gaff, Jochen Krause, Jeff McAffer
    • Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Thomas Hallgren, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Karsten Schmidt, Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams
    • Richard Gronback, Mike Milinkovich


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Action Items

  • Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes October 9 2008#Action Items
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn. One more to follow before publicly announcing?
  • (old) MichaelS to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
  • (old) Everyone to hyperlink to their Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
  • (old) Everyone to hyperlink on the new Architecture Council/Links Collection to interesting architecture-related blogs, articles or other resources
  • (old) All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page: Wayne for Technology, McQ for Eclipse, Ed for Modeling, Tom for RT; WTP to add ATF to the page
  • Wayne to file bug for portal to add fields for project mentors
  • Ed, Gunnar, Karsten to E-Mail their affiliation to Anne Jacko <emo@eclipse.org>
  • Georg to send an E-mail to the AC list with questions / things unclear for him as a new AC member
  • Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
  • Martin to contact David Orme
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250320 ask webmaster to create eclipse.org-committers-announce mailing list
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250315 asking for better attendance tracking at AC meetings
  • Ok green.gif Martin bug 250317 for discussing ways of spreading EMO information

Administrative

  • New Members: Tom Schindl (appointed), Karsten Schmidt (Strategic Consumer Rep)
  • Tracking Meeting Attendance

News from the EMO & Councils

  • EMO: How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
  • RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities
  • Wayne: Community Development for Eclipse Projects page
  • PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
    • Must do: Use only Published API by M6
    • Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
    • Must do: Use Babel by M6
  • Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World?

Recent EAC bugs

How to start Releng?

Top Ten Recommendations

Relationship to E4

Concurrency

  • Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
  • What is causing issues?
    • work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
    • work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
    • General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
    • Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
    • Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
      • David Orme mentions DataBinding Realms and the Threads Considered Harmful blog which references Erlang message-based concurrence
      • Would it help to become more asynchronous under the hood, even if old APIs need to remain for compatibility?
      • Are there any other good known models for concurrency?
    • Better Javadoc ?
      • Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
    • Articles ? - John referenced the resouce-deltas article


Other Ideas for Discussion

  • Mentoring New Projects
    • Experiences? What could be improved?
    • Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
  • Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
    • Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
    • Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
    • Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
  • E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
  • Eclipse Pain Points


Action Items

Next Meeting