Architecture Council/Minutes January 15 2009
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Tuesday January 8, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DSDP:||Doug Gaff||Martin Oberhuber|
|Modeling:||Richard Gronback||Ed Merks|
|RT:||Jeff McAffer||Jochen Krause|
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008#Action Items
- All Mentors to enter their mentorship info into the Portal
- All PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects ask for a mentor (by filing an AC bug)
- Dave Carver to have a look at the Architecture Council Wiki page and visually improve it for users/consumers
- Dave Carver, Chris to add links for Project Proposal Template and Pulling Eclipse Scripts into the meeting notes
- Mike to inform everyone when the IPZilla Legal Closed Group is ready to use
- Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
- Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list (committed until end January)
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Links Collection
- (old) Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
- New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
- New Architecture Council/Templates
- AC Admin via the Portal
- bug 256318 - Need a page that lists projects and mentors for further processing (query for projects without mentors)
- IP/Legal Discussions: Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
- IPZilla Infrastructure for "closed group" discussions should be completed soon. AI Mike inform all when it's in place.
- AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable
- Who could revamp the Architecture Council page? - AI Dave Carver take a look
- PMC Representation on the AC
- Martin would like to ask PMC Reps either attend the meetings or send a designated delegate (might be another appointed member), in order to ensure full coverage
News from the EMO & Councils
- December Board Minutes available?
- IBM - John Kellerman - API Deprecation Policy
- Tom S: Project Proposals - RCP infra for getting them in easily vs. Wiki pages
- Tom S: Best practice for picking up I-builds - HTTP downloads are slow, installation cumbersome
- Christian Kurzke (TmL project, DSDP PMC) - recurring scanning of all code for IP issues
- Martin: Architecture Diagrams -
- Eclipse is growing rapidly, and it's getting ever harder to understand what projects are available, how they are interrelated and where there is duplication.
- It was the original AC charter to create an architecture plan
- Can we auto-generate an architecture diagram? - Some ideas:
- Scan the project's web pages and CVS Repository and build a semantic web
- Analyze the MANIFEST.MF dependencies in each project's repository HEAD, generate a dependency graph out of it and use some graph layout / clustering algorithm (could we allow interactive zooming into clusters?)
- Define some keywords, and ask each project use the Portal to pick keywords that are relevant for their project. Based on keyword association, have some graph auto-generated (clustered by keywords).
- AI Martin ask on mailing list
- Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
- bug 256660 What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
- Should it be added as advice for mentored projects? Should the AC engage in the public discussion?
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed