Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Minutes January 15 2009

< Architecture Council
Revision as of 15:41, 16 December 2008 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday January 8, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Attendees

BIRT: Wenfeng Li
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Kevin Haaland
Modeling: Richard Gronback Ed Merks
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
STP:
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: John Duimovich
TPTP: Eugene Chan
WTP:

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Action Items

  • Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008#Action Items
  • All Mentors to enter their mentorship info into the Portal
  • All PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects ask for a mentor (by filing an AC bug)
  • Dave Carver to have a look at the Architecture Council Wiki page and visually improve it for users/consumers
  • Dave Carver, Chris to add links for Project Proposal Template and Pulling Eclipse Scripts into the meeting notes
  • Mike to inform everyone when the IPZilla Legal Closed Group is ready to use
  • Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
  • Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list (committed until end January)
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Links Collection
  • (old) Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor

Administrative

  • New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
  • New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
  • New Architecture Council/Templates
  • AC Admin via the Portal
    • bug 256318 - Need a page that lists projects and mentors for further processing (query for projects without mentors)
  • IP/Legal Discussions: Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
    • IPZilla Infrastructure for "closed group" discussions should be completed soon. AI Mike inform all when it's in place.
  • AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable
  • PMC Representation on the AC
    • Martin would like to ask PMC Reps either attend the meetings or send a designated delegate (might be another appointed member), in order to ensure full coverage

Mentorship

News from the EMO & Councils

  • December Board Minutes available?

New Topics

  • IBM - John Kellerman - API Deprecation Policy

Recent Discussions

  • Tom S: Project Proposals - RCP infra for getting them in easily vs. Wiki pages
  • Tom S: Best practice for picking up I-builds - HTTP downloads are slow, installation cumbersome
  • Christian Kurzke (TmL project, DSDP PMC) - recurring scanning of all code for IP issues
  • Martin: Architecture Diagrams -
    • Eclipse is growing rapidly, and it's getting ever harder to understand what projects are available, how they are interrelated and where there is duplication.
    • It was the original AC charter to create an architecture plan
    • Can we auto-generate an architecture diagram? - Some ideas:
      • Scan the project's web pages and CVS Repository and build a semantic web
      • Analyze the MANIFEST.MF dependencies in each project's repository HEAD, generate a dependency graph out of it and use some graph layout / clustering algorithm (could we allow interactive zooming into clusters?)
      • Define some keywords, and ask each project use the Portal to pick keywords that are relevant for their project. Based on keyword association, have some graph auto-generated (clustered by keywords).
    • AI Martin ask on mailing list
  • Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
    • bug 256660 What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
    • Should it be added as advice for mentored projects? Should the AC engage in the public discussion?

Old items

Action Items

Next Meeting