Architecture Council/Minutes February 12 2009
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday February 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Fitzpatrick||Linda Chan|
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
|WTP:||Tim deBoer||Dave Carver|
- Signed-up: Wayne Beaton, Cédric Brun, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Tim deBoer, Brian Fitzpatrick, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Jochen Krause, Andrew Overholt, Eric Rizzo, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf (late), Karsten Schmidt, Mark VandenBrink, David Williams, Darin Wright
- Regrets: Boris Bokowski, Doug Clarke, oliver cole, Sven Efftinge, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Martin Oberhuber, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, McQ Wilson
- No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Richard Gronback, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Georg Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Gary Xue
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes January 15 2009#Action Items
- (old) Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list (committed until end January)
- Mike to inform everyone when the IPZilla Legal Closed Group is ready to use
- (old) All PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects ask for a mentor (by filing an AC bug)
- Dave Carver send links to Wiki pages which we might want to emulate for the AC Homepage
- Mik to propose a date for demoing the Mylyn "report a bug" feature
- Everyone review/edit the various Architecture Council wiki pages, particularly the Architecture Council/Ask the AC Panel/FAQ and Architecture Council/Links Collection. Add questions to the FAQ.
- Martin to schedule Architecture Council/Minutes API Deprecation 20080122 call
- Martin to schedule Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 - Sunday 5pm-6pm
- New Category markup allows us to tag other (non-AC) pages such that they show up under AC
- Better organize the AC homepage: collect feedback... AI Dave send links to other Wiki pages for review to check which ones we might want to emulate, also, everyone can make suggestions / create mock-up pages for review.
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- IP/Legal Discussions: IPZilla closed group is up. In bug 214133, Martin asks whether having the link under the following areas of the portal is sufficient:
- Committer on (xxx) -> IP Policy -> [pose] a question
- Project lead for (xxx) -> IP Policy -> [pose] a question
- PMC Representation on the AC - backup delegates, 1 attendee required
- Backup still required for Tools PMC
News from the EMO & Councils
- EclipseCon - AC meeting on Sunday before the conference (Mar 22) afternoon
- Proposed StAC meeting 3pm-5pm including the AC, PC and RC; but we have some topics (like mentorship) not so interesting for the other councils
- Official Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 from 5pm-6pm, unofficial afterwards (Program Committee get-together after 6pm); want to have pizza dinner
- Architecture Council/Ask the AC Panel: many questions are important for ourselves to understand and answer consistently
- McQ, Boris, Dave Williams, etc. - can you provide a short re-cap of the Architecture_Council/Meetings/API_Deprecation_20080119 API Deprecation meeting?
- bug 262865 i18n patches
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
Martin was unable to attend, so Wayne initiated the call.
BIRT project was not represented on the call. Neither was the Eclipse project; MikeQ dropped off due to the late start.
Status of Martin and Michael's deliverables unknown.
Mik has not been able to do the architectural walkthrough of Mylyn. We very briefly discussed the format of the document and lamented the fact that we don't currently have a template to base it on. The Mylyn document will end up being the template.
Most of the top-level projects report that their incubating projects are sufficiently mentored. The Technology and Tools projects still have many unmentored projects. Doug Schaefer, representing the Tools PMC, and Wayne, representing the Technology PMC, agreed to continue efforts to pressure projects into finding mentors.
Dave promises to send out links of sample pages to base AC pages on.
Mik will add Mylyn Bug Reporting Demo to EclipseCon meeting when agenda available.
We discussed access to the IPZilla legal questions channel from the Portal. Our belief is that many/most committers do not make common use of the portal and so would not find this channel. Dave Carver suggested that we include a link from the Wiki. We discussed that, since IPZilla is only accessible by committers, this is probably okay.
We reviewed the EclipseCon AC meeting timing. We agreed that pizza sounds good.
It was proposed that we cancel the March 11th AC meeting since we'll be meeting two weeks later at EclipseCon anyway. Group opted to keep the meeting.