Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008
< Architecture Council
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Tuesday December 16, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
|RT:||Jeff McAffer||Jochen Krause|
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
- Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Martin Oberhuber, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Tom Watson, Gary Xue
- Regrets: Boris Bokowski, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Darin Wright
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008#Action Items
- Wayne bug 252015 "what you should know" -- Architecture Council/Things Committers Should Know/Staging
- Wayne to ask projects in need of a mentor file a bug against the AC
- Martin to send private E-Mails to dormant members
- Martin to update the Architecture Council/Membership charter for new member proposals, mentioning phone decision fallback in case of missing +1 majority
- Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- Everyone fill in your Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page -- done except for few, personally reminded (below)
- All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page - superseded by using the Portal, will enable us to set up queries
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Links Collection
- (old) Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
- New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
- Some Bio's still not filled in: Architecture Council/Members and Mentors - David Williams
- AC Admin via the Portal
- Enter Mentorship data on the Portal - new AC component - will show up on the councils page as well as project homepages
- bug 256318 - Need a page that lists projects and mentors for further processing (query for projects without mentors)
- bug 258085 - councils page - hyperlink mentored projects against projects' home pages
- bug 258096 - Request a "Biography URL" in the Portal
- bug 255383 - councils page doesn't show company affiliation for PMC reps
- bug 255385 - councils page doesn't show PMC reps for Modeling, Birt, Stp
- Should we retire the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page? - Not entirely, 'cause the "dormant" status cannot be tracked in foundation DB, and mentorship for proposed projects won't show up; don't want to do double bookkeeping in the long run, but for now please update both pages
- Projects in need of Mentors
- bug 256220 Silverlight (SLDT), bug 256477 STEM
- Bugs been open for some time, is our process good enough?
- See Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors: ACTF, Aperi, Apogee (Dave Carver), COSMOS, PDT -- AI File a Bug (best have the project file one), use this link for filing the bug. AI Wayne contact technology projects telling them to file the bug.
- Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
- IPZilla update (Mike) ?
- AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable
- Who could revamp the Architecture Council page?
- PMC Representation on the AC
- Up to now, the AC meetings are totally voluntary, offline interaction is as good as direct interaction
- Martin would like to ask PMC Reps either attend the meetings or send a designated delegate (might be another appointed member), in order to ensure full coverage
- Create a table per PMC on the meeting notes (similar to the Board meetings)
- BIRT, WTP, Tools currently don't have an active official rep
News from the EMO & Councils
- Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World -- outcome?
- SWOT analysis done -- Don going to post meeting minutes; Board approved an USD 20.000 budget for improving the Release Train
- Don going to call in for a StAC telecon meeting in January (or late february) in order to prioritize items how the money should be spent -- might be for Galileo or probably next year's train
- If successful, this might become a recurring thing every year
- Board Meeting Update, based on Martin's AC update
- Confidential until the Board Meeting minutes are posted on the Foundation Minutes page - navigated from Eclipse homepage by "About us" > "Foundation" > "Meeting Minutes"
- Oisin: Mentorship - by the time this call happens, I'll be a mentor on the Faceted Framework project, which is Konstantin's move from WTP. It's a little odd, because he has a lot more experience of working in Eclipse than I do :) Would it be useful in some cases to have a rider on the mentorship requirement for old hands starting with new projects? Maybe reduce the mentor count to one? Discuss.
- Martin thinks: In my understanding, the idea of mentorship is getting a "second pair of eyes" on some things, as well as to foster communications across PMC / Technology boundaries (by means of the AC). If Kosta is more experienced than yourself, this just means that he won't need you that much to answer questions, and you'll likely not have to monitor his efforts a lot. But it's good to have the cross-project exposure by means of the two-mentor-requirement.
- Tom: Project Proposals - What can be done to streamline project proposals even more ... we could provide Tooling for it. I started writing a little RCP-Application which defines an Ecore-Model of required information and provides a UI to enter the data and produce the Review Document
- Tom: Best practice for picking up I-builds - HTTP downloads are slow, installation cumbersome
- Martin tried the Eclipse Project Update Sites with Equinox p2 Repository Mirroring and p2 Director scripts to update, but found bug 258865 (invalid 3.5-I-builds repository), bug 258680 (mirroring) and bug 258683 (install) - currently not usable
- Using SSH / SCP with some scripts for installation from the ZIPs right now
- Should the AC host a page with a recommended best practice?
- Christian Kurzke (TmL project, DSDP PMC) asked:
- How do other projects maintain an IP-clean repository? Does anybody perform regular Black Duck scans? Should the Eclipse Foundation do them?
- TmL team does them based on previous Motorola use, but sees lots of effort in sorting out false positives
- Martin: Duplication - m2eclipse and IAM for Maven
- Martin: Architecture Diagrams -
- Eclipse is growing rapidly, and it's getting ever harder to understand what projects are available, how they are interrelated and where there is duplication.
- It was the original AC charter to create an architecture plan
- Can we auto-generate an architecture diagram? - Some ideas:
- Scan the project's web pages and CVS Repository and build a semantic web
- Analyze the MANIFEST.MF dependencies in each project's repository HEAD, generate a dependency graph out of it and use some graph layout / clustering algorithm (could we allow interactive zooming into clusters?)
- Define some keywords, and ask each project use the Portal to pick keywords that are relevant for their project. Based on keyword association, have some graph auto-generated (clustered by keywords).
- Dave Carver: Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices - Agile Project Management
- Patterns idea picked up by 2 Eclipsecon Tutorials -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns
- Wayne: bug 252015 Here is something you should know, Architecture Council/Things Committers Should Know/Staging more authors needed?
- Martin: Architecture Council/F2F ESE 2008 - thoughts in retrospect
- Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
- bug 256660 What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
- Should it be added as advice for mentored projects?
- Should the AC engage in the public discussion?
- EclipseCon panel
- Architecture Council/Ask the AC ideas for questions to discuss
- Who wants to participate on the panel, or be a moderator? - Bjorn, zx, Wayne, Mik, Markus, Jeff, Ed
- Architecture Council/F2F EclipseCon 2009 - Sunday afternoon - sign up and add to the agenda
- bug 256448 API Tooling for extensions / How to treat propertyTester properties in ISV docs (best practice searched)
- bug 167144 "eclipse.common" bundle -- Bundle / Project granularity?
- bug 253889 JIRA vs bugzilla - just close it?
- bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
- bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse); Mercurial, Git Bazaar -- bug 257706 now requesting git specifically
- bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded?
- Items to move into IPZilla
- EMO: bug 250317 How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
- RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities - are we happy with it?
- PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
- Must do: Use only Published API by M6
- Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
- Must do: Use Babel by M6
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items