Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Tuesday December 16, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Agenda / Notes
- 3 Old items
- 4 Action Items
- 5 Next Meeting
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008#Action Items
- Wayne bug 252015 "what you should know" -- Architecture Council/Things Committers Should Know/Staging
- Wayne to ask projects in need of a mentor file a bug against the AC
- Martin to send private E-Mails to dormant members
- Martin to update the Architecture Council/Membership charter for new member proposals, mentioning phone decision fallback in case of missing +1 majority
- Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- Everyone fill in your Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page -- done except for few, personally reminded (below)
- All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page - superseded by using the Portal, will enable us to set up queries
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Links Collection
- (old) Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
- New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
- Some Bio's still not filled in: Architecture Council/Members and Mentors - Doug Clarke, Sven Efftinge, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Thomas Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Gary Xue
- Just click on your red link to create a page -- it can't be simpler!
- Bjorn (and some others) to become dormant?
- Projects in need of Mentors
- bug 256220 Silverlight (SLDT), bug 256477 STEM
- Bugs been open for some time, is our process good enough?
- See Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors: ACTF, Aperi, Apogee (Dave Carver), COSMOS, PDT -- AI File a Bug (best have the project file one), use this link for filing the bug. AI Wayne contact technology projects telling them to file the bug.
- AC Admin via the Portal
- Enter Mentorship data on the Portal - new AC component - will show up on the councils page as well as project homepages
- bug 256318 - Need a page that lists projects and mentors for further processing (query for projects without mentors)
- bug 258085 - councils page - hyperlink mentored projects against projects' home pages
- bug 258096 - Request a "Biography URL" in the Portal
- bug 255383 - councils page doesn't show company affiliation for PMC reps
- bug 255385 - councils page doesn't show PMC reps for Modeling, Birt, Stp
- Should we retire the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page? - Not entirely, 'cause the "dormant" status cannot be tracked in foundation DB, and mentorship for proposed projects won't show up; but don't want to do double bookkeeping
- Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
- IPZilla update (Mike) ?
- AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable
News from the EMO & Councils
- Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World -- outcome?
- Board Meeting Update, based on Martin's AC update
- Confidential until the Board Meeting minutes are posted on the Foundation Minutes page - navigated from Eclipse homepage by "About us" > "Foundation" > "Meeting Minutes"
- Oisin says - by the time this call happens, I'll be a mentor on the Faceted Framework project, which is Konstantin's move from WTP. It's a little odd, because he has a lot more experience of working in Eclipse than I do :) Would it be useful in some cases to have a rider on the mentorship requirement for old hands starting with new projects? Maybe reduce the mentor count to one? Discuss.
- Martin thinks: In my understanding, the idea of mentorship is getting a "second pair of eyes" on some things, as well as to foster communications across PMC / Technology boundaries (by means of the AC). If Kosta is more experienced than yourself, this just means that he won't need you that much to answer questions, and you'll likely not have to monitor his efforts a lot. But it's good to have the cross-project exposure by means of the two-mentor-requirement.
- Tom: What can be done to streamline project proposals even more ... we could provide Tooling for it. I started writing a little RCP-Application which defines an Ecore-Model of required information and provides a UI to enter the data and produce the Review Document
- Patterns idea picked up by 2 Eclipsecon Tutorials -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns
- Wayne: bug 252015 Here is something you should know, Architecture Council/Things Committers Should Know/Staging more authors needed?
- Martin: Architecture Council/F2F ESE 2008 - thoughts in retrospect
- Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
- bug 256660 What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
- Should it be added as advice for mentored projects?
- Should the AC engage in the public discussion?
- EclipseCon panel
- Architecture Council/Ask the AC ideas for questions to discuss
- Who wants to participate on the panel, or be a moderator? - Bjorn, zx, Wayne, Mik, Markus, Jeff, Ed
- Architecture Council/F2F EclipseCon 2009 - Sunday afternoon - sign up and add to the agenda
- bug 256448 API Tooling for extensions / How to treat propertyTester properties in ISV docs (best practice searched)
- bug 167144 "eclipse.common" bundle -- Bundle / Project granularity?
- bug 253889 JIRA vs bugzilla - just close it?
- bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
- bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
- bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse); Mercurial, Git Bazaar -- bug 257706 now requesting git specifically
- bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded?
- bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
- EMO: bug 250317 How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
- RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities - are we happy with it?
- PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
- Must do: Use only Published API by M6
- Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
- Must do: Use Babel by M6
How to start Releng?
- How to start a releng project for unattended builds on the ML - PDE build docs are good but only half the story
- Bjorn, NickB & Denis CBI Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose but is that an answer for now? Current status?
- CBI being adopted by Paul Webster for e4
- Refer people to clone existing projects' releng? Which ones are good?
Top Ten Recommendations
- Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations - should we start sorting them?
- Architecture Council/Links Collection - want more, more, more!
Relationship to E4
- E4/Pervasive Themes - Performance, Memory Footprint, Bloat (Boris' Blog), Concurrency
- Invite E4 to present to the EAC?
- Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
- What is causing issues?
- work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
- work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
- General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
- Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
- Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
- Better Javadoc ?
- Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
- Articles ? - John referenced the resource-deltas article
Mentoring New Projects
- We need more Architecture Council members to step up and become project mentors
- New projects require two mentors (a Good Thing™)
- How do new projects find/attract a mentor?
- Mailing list, bugzilla?
- "Work the crowd"
- What could be improved?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
Other Ideas for Discussion
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
- Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
- IP due diligence and the processes around it
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?