Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008"

Line 116: Line 116:
 
** '''RESOLUTION''' everybody OK with requiring PMC attendance
 
** '''RESOLUTION''' everybody OK with requiring PMC attendance
  
== Mentorship ==
+
=== Mentorship ===
 
* {{bug|256220}} Silverlight (SLDT), {{bug|256477}} STEM
 
* {{bug|256220}} Silverlight (SLDT), {{bug|256477}} STEM
 
** Bugs been open for some time, is our process good enough?
 
** Bugs been open for some time, is our process good enough?

Revision as of 13:32, 16 December 2008

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday December 16, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Attendees

BIRT: Wenfeng Li
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick
DSDP: Doug Gaff
Eclipse: Kevin Haaland
Modeling: Richard Gronback Ed Merks
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
STP:
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: John Duimovich
TPTP: Eugene Chan
WTP:
  • Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
    • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Martin Oberhuber, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Mark Vandenbrink, Tom Watson, Gary Xue
    • Regrets: Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Richard Gronback, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Darin Wright

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Action Items

Administrative

  • New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
    • RESOLUTION - everybody in favor of appointing Linda. AI Martin ask mike to appoint.
  • IP/Legal Discussions: Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
    • IPZilla Infrastructure for "closed group" discussions should be completed soon. AI Mike inform all when it's in place.
  • AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable
  • PMC Representation on the AC
    • Up to now, the AC meetings are totally voluntary, offline interaction is as good as direct interaction
    • Martin would like to ask PMC Reps either attend the meetings or send a designated delegate (might be another appointed member), in order to ensure full coverage
    • Create a table per PMC on the meeting notes (similar to the Board meetings)
    • BIRT, WTP, Tools currently don't have an active official rep - Dave Carver to ask Dave W
    • RESOLUTION everybody OK with requiring PMC attendance

Mentorship

  • bug 256220 Silverlight (SLDT), bug 256477 STEM
    • Bugs been open for some time, is our process good enough?
    • Wayne: Projects need to be interesting, so they should be able to attract a mentor...
    • Martin: AC should be responsive, each of us should feel responsible for answering requests timely. AI Wayne volunteers to be the be the initial contact (at least partly)
  • See Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors (or were grandfathered) - ACTF, Aperi, Apogee (Dave Carver), COSMOS, PDT - Wayne trying to encourage project find a mentor (by filing a bug.
    • Mass mailing likely won't help... at least as long as we don't have a pool of mentors just waiting to get mentors. So, for now, direct PMC interaction will likely help more.
    • AI Andrew Overholt: file bug asking for mentors for linux distros!
  • Oisin says: by the time this call happens, I'll be a mentor on the Faceted Framework project, which is Konstantin's move from WTP. It's a little odd, because he has a lot more experience of working in Eclipse than I do :) Would it be useful in some cases to have a rider on the mentorship requirement for old hands starting with new projects? Maybe reduce the mentor count to one? Discuss.
    • Martin thinks: In my understanding, the idea of mentorship is getting a "second pair of eyes" on some things, as well as to foster communications across PMC / Technology boundaries (by means of the AC). If Kosta is more experienced than yourself, this just means that he won't need you that much to answer questions, and you'll likely not have to monitor his efforts a lot. But it's good to have the cross-project exposure by means of the two-mentor-requirement.
    • Ed: Reducing mentor count basically comes down to self-mentoring
    • Mentors are not necessarily ahead in the domain... they should help with the Eclipse Development Process
    • Workload: mentoring is not necessarily that much work (Ed), demand varies (Rich)
    • RESOLUTION: we agree to keep the 2-mentor requirement

News from the EMO & Councils

  • Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World -- outcome?
    • SWOT analysis done -- Don going to post meeting minutes; Board approved an USD 20.000 budget for improving the Release Train
    • Don going to call in for a StAC telecon meeting in January (or early february) in order to prioritize items how the money should be spent -- might be for Galileo or probably next year's train
    • If successful, this might become a recurring thing every year
  • Board Meeting Update, based on Martin's AC update
    • Confidential until the Board Meeting minutes are posted on the Foundation Minutes page - navigated from Eclipse homepage by "About us" > "Foundation" > "Meeting Minutes"
    • Doug Gaff: Board been happy with AC revival, less happy with technical items. Doug wants to work on an official response from the Board to the AC report
    • Bjorn: It might take some time until minutes are posted, but as soon as they are, they now show up on the Projects What's New page and RSS Feed
    • Doug also going to blog the Board meeting

New Topics

  • Tom: Project Proposals - What can be done to streamline project proposals even more ... we could provide Tooling for it. I started writing a little RCP-Application which defines an Ecore-Model of required information and provides a UI to enter the data and produce the Review Document
    • Dave Carver: why cannot leverage the Wiki? - Make a Template Page on the Wiki (used for a couple proposals already) - AI Dave, Chris add links to template pages
  • Tom: Best practice for picking up I-builds - HTTP downloads are slow, installation cumbersome
    • Martin tried the Eclipse Project Update Sites with Equinox p2 Repository Mirroring and p2 Director scripts to update, but found bug 258865 (invalid 3.5-I-builds repository), bug 258680 (mirroring) and bug 258683 (install) - currently not usable
    • Using SSH / SCP with some scripts for installation from the ZIPs right now
    • Dave Carver using a script ("custom eclipse") on sourceforge - AI Dave put a link into meeting notes
    • Andrew Overholt: As part of Common Builder (CBI), looking at how to best get the bits
    • Should the AC host a page with a recommended best practice?
    • RESOLUTION: Wait until we have a best practice (by means of CBI, or p2, or a script)
  • Christian Kurzke (TmL project, DSDP PMC) asked:
    • How do other projects maintain an IP-clean repository? Does anybody perform regular Black Duck scans? Should the Eclipse Foundation do them?
      • Bjorn, Wayne: It seems like Foundation does occasionally scan the repository
    • TmL team does them based on previous Motorola use, but sees lots of effort in sorting out false positives
  • Martin: Duplication - m2eclipse and IAM for Maven
    • Bjorn: Current philosophy is that it's fine to propose multiple projects -- encourage people to work together, but don't enforce it. When a project matures, there should be only.
  • Martin: Architecture Diagrams -
    • Eclipse is growing rapidly, and it's getting ever harder to understand what projects are available, how they are interrelated and where there is duplication.
    • It was the original AC charter to create an architecture plan
    • Can we auto-generate an architecture diagram? - Some ideas:
      • Scan the project's web pages and CVS Repository and build a semantic web
      • Analyze the MANIFEST.MF dependencies in each project's repository HEAD, generate a dependency graph out of it and use some graph layout / clustering algorithm (could we allow interactive zooming into clusters?)
      • Define some keywords, and ask each project use the Portal to pick keywords that are relevant for their project. Based on keyword association, have some graph auto-generated (clustered by keywords).
    • AI Martin ask on mailing list

Recent Discussions

Old items

Action Items

Next Meeting