Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(Administrative)
Line 47: Line 47:
 
* New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
 
* New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
 
* New Dormant Members - see [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]]
 
* New Dormant Members - see [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]]
* Some Bio's still not filled in: Doug Clarke, Sven Efftinge, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Thomas Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Gary Xue
+
* Some Bio's still not filled in: [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] - Doug Clarke, Sven Efftinge, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Thomas Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Gary Xue
 
** '''Just click on your red link''' to create a page -- it can't be simpler!
 
** '''Just click on your red link''' to create a page -- it can't be simpler!
 
** Bjorn (and some others) to become dormant?
 
** Bjorn (and some others) to become dormant?

Revision as of 09:50, 9 December 2008

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday December 16, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Contents

Attendees

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Action Items

Administrative

  • New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
  • New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
  • Some Bio's still not filled in: Architecture Council/Members and Mentors - Doug Clarke, Sven Efftinge, Philippe Mulet, Steve Northover, Brett Porter, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Thomas Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Gary Xue
    • Just click on your red link to create a page -- it can't be simpler!
    • Bjorn (and some others) to become dormant?
  • Projects in need of Mentors
  • Enter Mentorship data on the Portal - new AC component - will show up on the councils page as well as project homepages
    • Should we retire the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page? - No, 'cause the "dormant" status cannot be tracked in foundation DB
    • Request "mentored projects" hyperlinks on the councils page; Biography hyperlinks on the councils page?
    • Have a query for projects without mentors
  • Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
    • IPZilla update (Mike) ?
  • AC Website Revamp needed to make the information that's already there more consumable

News from the EMO & Councils

Recent Discussions

  • Tom: What can be done to streamline project proposals even more ... we could provide Tooling for it. I started writing a little RCP-Application which defines an Ecore-Model of required information and provides a UI to enter the data and produce the Review Document
  • Patterns idea picked up by 2 Eclipsecon Tutorials -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns
  • Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
    • bug 256660 What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
    • Should it be added as advice for mentored projects?
    • Should the AC engage in the public discussion?
  • EclipseCon panel
    • Architecture Council/Ask the AC ideas for questions to discuss
    • Who wants to participate on the panel, or be a moderator? - Bjorn, zx, Wayne, Mik, Markus, Jeff, Ed
  • Architecture Council/F2F EclipseCon 2009 - Sunday afternoon - sign up and add to the agenda
  • bug 256448 API Tooling for extensions / How to treat propertyTester properties in ISV docs (best practice searched)
  • bug 167144 "eclipse.common" bundle -- Bundle / Project granularity?
  • bug 253889 JIRA vs bugzilla - just close it?
  • bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
  • bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
  • bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse); Mercurial, Git Bazaar -- bug 257706 now requesting git specifically
  • bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded?
  • bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)

Old items

  • EMO: bug 250317 How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
  • RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities - are we happy with it?
  • PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
    • Must do: Use only Published API by M6
    • Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
    • Must do: Use Babel by M6

How to start Releng?

Top Ten Recommendations

Relationship to E4

Concurrency

  • Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
  • What is causing issues?
    • work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
    • work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
    • General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
    • Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
    • Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
      • David Orme mentions DataBinding Realms and the Threads Considered Harmful blog which references Erlang message-based concurrence
      • Would it help to become more asynchronous under the hood, even if old APIs need to remain for compatibility?
      • Are there any other good known models for concurrency?
    • Better Javadoc ?
      • Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
    • Articles ? - John referenced the resource-deltas article

Mentoring New Projects

  • We need more Architecture Council members to step up and become project mentors
    • New projects require two mentors (a Good Thing™)
  • How do new projects find/attract a mentor?
    • Mailing list, bugzilla?
    • "Work the crowd"
  • Experiences?
    • What could be improved?
    • Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?

Other Ideas for Discussion

  • Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
    • Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
    • Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
    • Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
  • E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
  • Eclipse Pain Points

Action Items

Next Meeting