Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008"
m (Architecture Council/Minutes December 11 2008 moved to Architecture Council/Minutes December 16 2008: Meeting date changed)
Revision as of 09:10, 9 December 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday December 11, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Agenda / Notes
- 3 Old items
- 4 Action Items
- 5 Next Meeting
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Action Items
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes November 13 2008#Action Items
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC
- (old) Everyone fill in your Bio on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors page
- (old) Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Links Collection
- (old) All PMC's to list mentor-less projects in their domain on the Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors page: Wayne for Technology, McQ for Eclipse, Ed for Modeling, Tom for RT; WTP to add ATF to the page
- (old) Martin to start a Wiki page explaining what's good about having a mentor
- Wayne to start a Wiki page with proposed bug 252015 "what you should know" snippets as well as a second page for snippet archive
- Wayne to ask projects in need of a mentor file a bug against the AC
- Martin to send private E-Mails to dormant members
- Martin to update the AC charter for new member proposals, mentioning phone decision fallback in case of missing +1 majority
- New Members: Linda Chan, Sven Efftinge (new Strategic Member)
- New Dormant Members - see Architecture Council/Members and Mentors
- Some Bio's still not filled in: Bjorn (and some others) to become dormant?
- Projects in need of Mentors
- See Architecture Council/Members and Mentors#Projects that need mentors: ACTF, Aperi, Apogee (Dave Carver), COSMOS, PDT -- AI File a Bug (best have the project file one), use this link for filing the bug. AI Wayne contact technology projects telling them to file the bug.
- Janet's E-Mail asking PMC's and AC to answer IP/Legal related questions:
News from the EMO & Councils
- Don: StAC meeting at Eclipse World -- outcome?
- bug 252015 Here is something you should know, can we start implementing it? who will back it?
- Denis' blog on dead bugzilla's.
- What are best practices to keep bugzilla alive and users interested, without taking away too much time from committers?
- Should it be added as advice for mentored projects?
- Should the AC engage in the public discussion?
- EclipseCon panel
- Who wants to participate on the panel, or be a moderator? - Bjorn, zx, Wayne, Mik, Markus, Jeff, Ed
- Architecture Council/Ask the AC ideas for questions to discuss
- Architecture Council/F2F EclipseCon 2009 - sign up and add to the agenda
- bug 256448 API Tooling for extensions / How to treat propertyTester properties in ISV docs (best practice searched)
- bug 167144 "eclipse.common" bundle -- Bundle / Project granularity?
- bug 253889 JIRA vs bugzilla - just close it?
- bug 249371 The new Eclipse.org homepage
- bug 249959 Copyright Header in checked-in generated artifacts
- bug 249745 Repository Best Practices (Subversive vs Subclipse); Mercurial, Git Bazaar
- bug 246840 Jobs and ISchedulingRules - discussion concluded - what is CCRC?
- bug 246945 Interfacing with Libs that are not EPL Compatible (mostly LGPL)
- EMO: bug 250317 How to officially communicate Requirements (as per the board, dev process, IP policy...) to the PMCs, Project Leads, Committers?
- RC - Roadmap Process: RequirementsCouncilThemesAndPriorities - are we happy with it?
- PC - Richard Gronback: New Galileo Requirements from the Planning Council?
- Must do: Use only Published API by M6
- Must do: Provide basic Capability / Activity Definitions by M6
- Must do: Use Babel by M6
How to start Releng?
- How to start a releng project for unattended builds on the ML - PDE build docs are good but only half the story
- Bjorn, NickB & Denis CBI Build Workshop 3: Build Hard With A Purpose but is that an answer for now? Current status?
- CBI being adopted by Paul Webster for e4
- Refer people to clone existing projects' releng? Which ones are good?
Top Ten Recommendations
- Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations - should we start sorting them?
- Architecture Council/Links Collection - want more, more, more!
Relationship to E4
- E4/Pervasive Themes - Performance, Memory Footprint, Bloat (Boris' Blog), Concurrency
- Invite E4 to present to the EAC?
- Examples: bug 245573 comment 12 (Dali JPA Tools Deadlock, John CC'd to EAC); bug 246840 discussion about ISchedulingRule (saving project preferences)
- What is causing issues?
- work performed during class loading (Activator.start()) - unknown context, can run at unpredictable times
- work performed in callbacks - unknown context, avoid synchronous callbacks
- General recommendations: (e.g. avoid synchronous callbacks, avoid in Activator.start(), static initializers or Singleton getters) - a general recommendation could be to avoid performing work at unpredictable times, but that would recommend against lazy initialization in general
- Does anybody have a well-working, consistent model on top of the current infrastructure?
- Totally new concurrency mechanism as part of E4 ?
- Better Javadoc ?
- Example: ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains(), and how does it relate to RuleFactory and MultiRule?
- Articles ? - John referenced the resource-deltas article
Mentoring New Projects
- We need more Architecture Council members to step up and become project mentors
- New projects require two mentors (a Good Thing™)
- How do new projects find/attract a mentor?
- Mailing list, bugzilla?
- "Work the crowd"
- What could be improved?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
Other Ideas for Discussion
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- Integrated bug reporting: Mylyn is providing a bug/error/enhancement reporting facility that will provide a flexible and product-configurable mapping between features, bundles and bug trackers bug 212209 (Example: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/86/Mylyn-Bug-Reporting-Example.jpg ). Do we want this for Galileo?
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat
- Restrictions on Resource model (Maven)
- IP due diligence and the processes around it
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?