Architecture Council/Minutes August 14 2008
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday August 14, 2008 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Sign up here if you want to get mentioned, since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit!
- Rotating Chair Position
- Making the EAC more Relevant
- From our charter: "responsible for the development, articulation, and maintenance of the Eclipse Platform Architecture and ensuring the Principles of the Development Process through mentorship." -- EAC be a platform where pain points can be raised
- "Pull" model: Allow adding email@example.com on CC on bugzilla for tough questions (rather than being active itself, the EAC is there to respond / mentor, and to identify issues)
- Invite people to present architectural questions for discussion at EAC meetings
- ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains() -- Markus Schorn
- EAC Membership
- From the Development Process: The Architecture Council will, at least annually, recommend to the EMO(ED), Eclipse Members who have sufficient experience, wisdom, and time to be appointed to the Architecture Council and serve as Mentors. -- Have E-Mail proposals / elections like last year?
- Mentoring New Projects
- Experiences? What could be improved?
- Nick & Denis Build Workshop 2: Build Harder -- Status? Adding a representative of Dash to the EAC?
- Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
- Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
- Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
- Don't duplicate work done by the Planning Council
- E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
- Eclipse Pain Points
- Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat; Restrictions on Resource model (Maven); IP due diligence
- Lots of these issues are already worked on by E4, and/or Committer Representatives at the Board, and/or the Planning Council
- But the EAC's charter includes identifying and naming pain pionts... anything not yet being addressed?
- Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes July 10 2008#Action Items
- All: Find an Expert who knows Macro Recording in other Apps (Emacs, OpenOffice? KDE? Others?)
- Martin found Max Gilead, who was working with OpenOffice.org's UNO remote communication facility and during that work written a little library on top of it called DUO which provides more user (developer :) ) - friendly access to some of the features. He agreed to give some thoughts when back from a business trip.