Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Minutes August 14 2008"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 4: Line 4:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Date & Time:  
 
| Date & Time:  
| Thursday [[August 14, 2008]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2008&month=8&day=14&hour=15&min=0&sec=0 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin]<br>[[Image:Ical.gif]][http://www.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&amp;tmeid=MmFsaW9jcDZqODU2OTY5dGU0NnBmb3EzMjhfMjAwODA4MTRUMTUwMDAwWiBtYXJ0aW4ub2Jlcmh1YmVyQGdteC5hdA&amp;tmsrc=bWFydGluLm9iZXJodWJlckBnbXguYXQ iCal]
+
| Thursday [[August 14, 2008]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2008&month=8&day=14&hour=15&min=0&sec=0 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin]<br>[[Image:Html.gif]][http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=g30r6idsq3rsufe2j3t6k0l0g4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Canada/Toronto HTML] | [[Image:Ical.gif]][http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/g30r6idsq3rsufe2j3t6k0l0g4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics iCal]
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Dial-in:
 
| Dial-in:
Line 11: Line 11:
  
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
* Invited attendees are all [http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#architecture EAC members]
 
 
* Sign up here if you want to get mentioned, since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
 
* Sign up here if you want to get mentioned, since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
 
* Signed-up:
 
* Signed-up:
 
* Regrets:
 
* Regrets:
  
 
+
== Agenda / Notes ==
== Meeting Goals ==
+
* '''Feel free to edit!'''
 
+
* Rotating Chair Position
 
+
* Making the EAC more Relevant
== Agenda / Discussion Notes ==
+
** From our charter: ''"responsible for the development, articulation, and maintenance of the Eclipse Platform Architecture and ensuring the Principles of the Development Process through mentorship."'' -- EAC be a platform where pain points can be raised
* Attendees are welcome to edit the agenda on the Wiki. '''Place a +1 / -1''' next to an item that you would like / would not like to discuss.
+
** "Pull" model: Allow adding eclipse.org-architecture-council@eclipse.org on CC on bugzilla for tough questions
* While the meeting is ongoing and one hour after, '''the Wiki should not be edited''' except by a notes-taker to be designated during the meeting
+
** Invite people to present architectural questions for discussion at EAC meetings
* After initial notes have been posted, everybody is free to edit the Wiki for corrections
+
*** ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains() -- Markus Schorn
 
+
* Mentoring New Projects
 
+
** Experiences? What could be improved?
=== Review Status of EAC Themes ===
+
** Nick & Denis [[Build Workshop 2: Build Harder]] -- Status? Adding them to the EAC? We should have at least one representative of Dash on the EAC.
* Review status of items on [[Architecture Council#Some interesting Items to Discuss at the EAC Calls]]
+
** Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
 
+
* Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
== Executive Summary of the Discussion ==
+
** Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
 
+
** Don't dupliate work done by the [[Planning Council]]
 +
* [[E4]] now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
 +
* Eclipse Pain Points
 +
** Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat; Restrictions on Resource model (Maven); anything not yet addressed by E4?
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* Last meeting [[Architecture Council/Minutes July 10 2008#Action Items]]
 
* Last meeting [[Architecture Council/Minutes July 10 2008#Action Items]]
 
* All: Find an Expert who knows Macro Recording in other Apps (Emacs, OpenOffice? KDE? Others?)
 
* All: Find an Expert who knows Macro Recording in other Apps (Emacs, OpenOffice? KDE? Others?)
* ??? to start creating Wiki Pages for Services
+
** Martin found Max Gilead, who was working with OpenOffice.org's UNO remote communication facility and during that work written a little library on top of it called [http://sourceforge.net/projects/duo-wrapper DUO] which provides more user (developer :) ) - friendly access to some of the features. He agreed to give some thoughts when back from a business trip.
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
* [[Architecture Council]] call on [[Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008|Thursday, September 11]]
 
* [[Architecture Council]] call on [[Architecture Council/Minutes September 11 2008|Thursday, September 11]]

Revision as of 15:16, 30 July 2008

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday August 14, 2008 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 874551#

Contents

Attendees

  • Sign up here if you want to get mentioned, since it's hard to catch all names during the call.
  • Signed-up:
  • Regrets:

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit!
  • Rotating Chair Position
  • Making the EAC more Relevant
    • From our charter: "responsible for the development, articulation, and maintenance of the Eclipse Platform Architecture and ensuring the Principles of the Development Process through mentorship." -- EAC be a platform where pain points can be raised
    • "Pull" model: Allow adding eclipse.org-architecture-council@eclipse.org on CC on bugzilla for tough questions
    • Invite people to present architectural questions for discussion at EAC meetings
      • ISchedulingRule.isConflicting() vs. ISchedulingRule.contains() -- Markus Schorn
  • Mentoring New Projects
    • Experiences? What could be improved?
    • Nick & Denis Build Workshop 2: Build Harder -- Status? Adding them to the EAC? We should have at least one representative of Dash on the EAC.
    • Webpage improvements: more pre-canned content for new projects (like Sourceforge)?
  • Mentoring Galileo: What could be improved?
    • Running each project's unittests with full Galileo installed; especially interesting for Performance tests
    • Don't dupliate work done by the Planning Council
  • E4 now has bi-weekly calls -- won't discuss E4 on the EAC unless asked / invited
  • Eclipse Pain Points
    • Performance & Memory Footprint, Bloat; Restrictions on Resource model (Maven); anything not yet addressed by E4?

Action Items

  • Last meeting Architecture Council/Minutes July 10 2008#Action Items
  • All: Find an Expert who knows Macro Recording in other Apps (Emacs, OpenOffice? KDE? Others?)
    • Martin found Max Gilead, who was working with OpenOffice.org's UNO remote communication facility and during that work written a little library on top of it called DUO which provides more user (developer :) ) - friendly access to some of the features. He agreed to give some thoughts when back from a business trip.

Next Meeting