Architecture Council/Meetings/September 10 2009
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 13:34, 10 September 2009 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday September 10, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|| Ed Merks|
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
- Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Mik Kersten, Bernd Kolb, Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Darin Wright
- Special Guests: Denis Roy
- Regrets: Cedric Brun (sick), Brian Fitzpatrick (leaving the AC), Doug Gaff (conflict), Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (conflict), Gary Xue (conflict)
- No-Show: Tim deBoer, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Sven Efftinge, Richard Gronback, Markus Knauer, Jochen Krause, Jeff McAffer, Philippe Mulet, Wenfeng Li, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Antoine Toulme, Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams, Mike Wilson
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/August 13 2009
- (obsolete) Dave Carver to blog about bugzilla best practices
- (obsolete) Wayne to E-mail e.o-committers after that
- Dave C prepare a "cookbook" for bug 283734 Crowdsourcing Docs / WikiText --> DocumentationGuidelines, Dave's Blog
- (obsolete) Tom S ask Maven expert to comment on bug 283745
- (obsolete) Wayne to blog about Maven bug 283745 to get more comments
- Martin to comment on bug 283745 that the AC discussed and supports maven
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
bug 283745 - Maven - current status, next steps
- Wayne: Foundation contacted Sonatype about giving GPL'd Nexus version (maybe only commercial provides OBR support)
- Need to understand better what needs to happen
- Mylyn provided everything as POM but canceled this again a year ago since there was no consumers
- Move ahead if there is not too much work
bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- Agreed on the bug that this should work
- John: Platform build now working on Eclipse.org, but blocked on not being able to tag
- Related: Build machine is too slow if many people start building on build.eclipse.org
- Martin: Would vservers help?
- Dave: Stats by Foundation would help
- Bernd: Not signing every build would help
- Denis: Possible solutions include more servers / less signing / better scheduling
- Wayne: Hudson should be able to control what runs in parallel
- Bernd: What about build2.eclipse.org rather than vservers
- Denis: Even if on multiple servers, everyone building at the same time is an issue
- Options for the Community: less signing, different servers, funnel everything through a single build queue
- DaveC: Incremental checkouts rather than pulling ALL
- AI DaveC to come up with ideas in a document how to save build resources
- Better implement improvements directly in Athena rather than having projects do all by themselves
bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- Boris: If there is only ONE assignee for all "triaged" bugs across all of Eclipse, it would be hard to "listen"
- Want experience reports from a first team implementing the new solution before advertising best practice
- The new TRIAGED state would be a global change
- Mik: Mylyn experiments went well, Bugzilla team has been doing something similar
- If experiments with a TRIAGED state fail, it could be converted into a status_whiteboard or keyword
- Mik would prefer a project to try it with a keyword
- Mik: Adding a state is the biggest change we can make... why Mozilla hasn't done this?
- Mozilla is using UNCONFIRMED as initial state, once triaged they go to NEW (this is a per-project setting)
- UNCONFIRMED is supported on a per-project basis (as an exception)
- Advantage: consistent with mozilla, Disadvantage: inconsistent with Eclipse.org
- AI Dave C volunteers the WTP project to go and try the UNCONFIRMED state (after checking with Dave W)
- Migration problems with existing NEW bugs?
- Boris thinks that most bugs in the system today are actually triaged... so less migration effort
- Denis: Can configure bugmail to receive ONE initial E-mail only as long as a bug is UNCONFIRMED
bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- Quality statistics for Projects. Dave is a fan of Eclemma
- Boris: Author of Eclemma is working on a replacement for Emma ... looking for volunteers to test it
- Advantage: Would work directly in the VM -- better performance; possibly EPL'd
- Sonar: Effort for setting it up? Any guinea pigs?
- Dave: Buckminster working on Eclemma integration
- AI Interested parties look at and comment on the bug
Topics for Next Meeting
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- Wayne: Project plans are important but in a bad state!
- Mentors please encourage projects to keep their project plans up to date! (Wayne going to blog about)
- bug 283734 Crowdsourcing Docs / WikiText
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- Follow-up on Architecture Council/Bugzilla Best Practices - how to move on?
- Dave C AC should look at other Agile Principles can be employed (in addition to the Bugzilla practices)
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
- (old) Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state