Architecture Council/Meetings/September 10 2009
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday September 10, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|BIRT:||Wenfeng Li||Gary Xue|
|DTP:||Brian Fitzpatrick||Linda Chan|
|DSDP:||Doug Gaff||Martin Oberhuber|
|Eclipse:||Philippe Mulet||Mike Wilson|
|Modeling:||Richard Gronback|| Ed Merks|
|RT:||Jeff McAffer|| Jochen Krause|
|STP:||Oisin Hurley||Antoine Toulme|
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| Oliver Cole|
|WTP:||Tim deBoer||Dave Carver|
- Signed-up: Boris B, John A, Chris A, Martin O, Darin W, Ed Merks, Mik Kersten, Bernd Kolb, Darin S, Wayne B, Andrew O, Eugene TPTP, Dave C, Michael S, Linda C
- Regrets: Neil Hauge, Tom Watson (conflict), Doug Gaff (conflict), Gary Xue (conflict)
- Foundation -- update the number!
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/August 13 2009
- (obsolete) Dave Carver to blog about bugzilla best practices
- (obsolete) Wayne to E-mail e.o-committers after that
- Dave C prepare a "cookbook" for bug 283734 Crowdsourcing Docs / WikiText --> DocumentationGuidelines, Dave's Blog
- Tom S ask Maven expert to comment on bug 283745
- Wayne to blog about Maven bug 283745 to get more comments
- Martin to comment on bug 283745 that the AC discussed and supports maven
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- bug 283745 - Maven - current status, next steps
- Wayne: Foundation contacted Sonatype about giving GPL'd Nexus version (maybe only commercial provides OBR support)
- Need to understand better what needs to happen
- Mylyn provided everything as POM but canceled this again a year ago since there was no consumers
- Move ahead if there is not too much work
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- Agreed on the bug that this should work
- John: Platform build now working on Eclipse.org, but blocked on not being able to tag
- Related: Build machine is too slow if many people start building on build.eclipse.org
- Martin: Would vservers help?
- Dave: Stats by Foundation would help
- Bernd: Not signing every build would help
- Denis: Possible solutions include more servers / less signing / better scheduling
- Wayne: Hudson should be able to control what runs in parallel
- Bernd: What about build2.eclipse.org rather than vservers
- Denis: Even if on multiple servers, everyone building at the same time is an issue
- Options for the Community: less signing, different servers, funnel everything through a single build queue
- DaveC: Incremental checkouts rather than pulling ALL
- AI DaveC to come up with ideas in a document how to save build resources
- Better implement improvements directly in Athena rather than having projects do all by themselves
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- Boris: If there is only ONE assignee for all "triaged" bugs across all of Eclipse, it would be hard to "listen"
- Want experience reports from a first team implementing the new solution before advertising best practice
- The new TRIAGED state would be a global change
- Mik: Mylyn experiments went well, Bugzilla team has been doing something similar
- If experiments with a TRIAGED state fail, it could be converted into a status_whiteboard or keyword
- Mik would prefer a project to try it with a keyword
- Mik: Adding a state is the biggest change we can make... why Mozilla hasn't done this?
- Mozilla is using UNCONFIRMED as initial state, once triaged they go to NEW (this is a per-project setting)
- UNCONFIRMED is supported on a per-project basis (as an exception)
- Advantage: consistent with mozilla, Disadvantage: inconsistent with Eclipse.org
- AI Dave C volunteers the WTP project to go and try the UNCONFIRMED state (after checking with Dave W)
- Migration problems with existing NEW bugs?
- Boris thinks that most bugs in the system today are actually triaged... so less migration effort
- Denis: Can configure bugmail to receive ONE initial E-mail only as long as a bug is UNCONFIRMED
- bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- Quality statistics for Projects. Dave is a fan of Eclemma
- Boris: Author of Eclemma is working on a replacement for Emma ... looking for volunteers to test it
- Advantage: Would work directly in the VM -- better performance; possibly EPL'd
- Sonar: Effort for setting it up? Any guinea pigs?
- Dave: Buckminster working on Eclemma integration
- AI Interested parties look at and comment on the bug
Topics for Next Meeting
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- Wayne: Project plans are important but in a bad state!
- Mentors please encourage projects to keep their project plans up to date! (Wayne going to blog about)
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- Follow-up on Architecture Council/Bugzilla Best Practices - how to move on?
- Dave C AC should look at other Agile Principles can be employed (in addition to the Bugzilla practices)
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
- (old) Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)