Architecture Council/Meetings/October 13 2016
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday October 13, 2016 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
- In attendance: Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Mickael Istria, Marc-Andre Laperle, Martin Lippert, Dani Megert, Alexander Nyssen, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Julien Vermillard, Gunnar Wagenknecht
- Regrets: Jay Jay Billings, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Maximilian Kögel, Pascal Rapicault, Matthias Sohn, Krum Tsvetkov
- No-Show: Max Andersen, Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Naci Dai, Sebastien Gerard, Kenn Hussey, Tyler Jewell, Markus Knauer, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Alex Kurtakov, Benoit Langlois, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Adrian Mos, Steffen Pingel, Denis Roy, Tom Schindl, Lars Vogel, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson
#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
- Last meeting: Architecture Council/Meetings/September 8 2016 -- open actions see #Action_Items
- Welcome Mikael Barbero
- Working for the Eclipse Foundation - technical lead of the FEEP program, currently working on some Platform bugs (Jobs framework)
- Previously worked on Modeling, still quite involved but not the main focus any more
- EclipseCon Europe Oct 25-27 F2F ?
- Room scheduled for Wed after sessions but before the reception - AI Wayne send E-Mail Notice
- Architecture Council/Members and Mentors cleanup
- 49 active members plus 19 dormant ones as of today
UI Best Practices: Ultimate Package
- Doug: UI-best-practices Initiative
- Quite active initially, calmed down a little bit over the past 2 weeks
- Planning to bring up a couple topics, probably after EclipseCon Europe
- Doug's Building an "Eclipse Ultimate Package" from Eclipse.org PLUS popular packages from the Community
- Building on Github, based on packages with most active use, not necessarily hosted at Eclipse.org
- Basically J2EE + Committers packages + C/C++, + Pydev + Angular2 plus couple small ones - open for more ideas
- About 700MB right now - not quite as huge as Ed's Eierlegende Wollmilchsau
- Planning to use that as a starter for further discussions
- Wayne: With the new IP Policy Changes, there's no roadblock any more to including plugins like Pydev and hosting from Eclipse.org
- MichaelS: Likes Webstorm's "small and simple initially but growing over time"
- Doug: As a UI exercise, focus is on everything playing nicely together ... incremental install would be a 2nd step. Plugins should be "inactive" until actually needed
- From C/C++ to Android to Angular all in one workspace
- Over 100 features added to the .product file for now
- Might leave some stuff (like Arduino) in the Marketplace if they are not used overly much
- Conversations on UX mailing list have been really helpful so far
- At some point will collect into a Wiki
- Q: Could the Ultimate Edition perhaps even include the JRE ? - Getting a lot of defects due to that...
- Wayne: It's possible, at least with OpenJDK; just somebody needs to take a CQ through the process (though this opens up many additional questions ... like JRE or JDK, ...) probably to be handled in EPP
- The C/C++ EPP could probably benefit from having a JRE
- Doug: How to keep up with security updates
Automatic Crash Reporting
- Martin: Automatic Crash Reporting for unresponsive Eclipse (when the in-process AERI doesn't work)
- Screenshot bot -- code already exists as part of the unittests
- Marcel: Can be contributed via AERI extension point today
- Crash / deadlock reporter (like Firefox) -- maybe spawn separate process from eclipse.exe ?
- Had some discussions, but it was unclear who would really review reports from hard exits;
- If a reviewer is found, then finding and uploading the hs_err*.log dumps would be possible easily
- In general, the system falls short if there is no reviewer ... could possible culprits be identified from the dump ?
- Codetrails is working on a JVMTI agent to give access to all local variables when an exception is thrown (not sure yet if that's going to become Open Source); new analyzers on the server side could be plugged in through APIs
- AI Martin follow up via direct E-Mail, then perhaps continue discussion on the next call
- Screenshot bot -- code already exists as part of the unittests
- Wayne: A lot of exceptions are logged as errors which aren't errors (like user entering an invalid path)
- Wayne opening bugs / patches where he can
- What to Log and how could be a candidate for an AC Recommendation
- Marcel: Maybe there's a need for an additional log category like "User Error" to differentiate between Program Errors and
- Developers do go to the error log if something doesn't work as expected ...
- Doug: That should not be an UX guideline !!
- AI Wayne create a bugzilla for follow-up discussion (see bug 505924)
Wayne: Type A/B IP Policy Changes
- Board has approved a new type of IP Check:
- "Type A" just checks for compatible licenses without full provenience check
- "Type B" is what we've done so far over the years (full due diligence)
- Rolling out to a handful of projects for now
- Using FOSSology to do their license checks
- Intent moving towards that tool in 2017 for self-serve due diligence; anticipate 80% to be doable by the project leads themselves using those tools
- Will be at EclipseCon to talk; some things not yet clear such as a Type B project consuming Type A dependencies
- Planning Council decided sticking to status quo for now, ie allow only Type B ... but that might change
- Suggestion: Find better names for Type A ("license checked") vs type B ("provenance checked and scanned")
- Dani: By nature, it's close to "Apache" (Type A) vs "Eclipse" (Type B) but that's proably not usable
User Storage: SDK Docs
- Marcel had trouble finding API Docs, especially for the login parts
- Eike handed it over to a separate project, no longer leading
- Original authentication docs were in the Javadocs (though not published)
- The team added OAuth later, don't know about details - AI Eike try clarifying
- Marcel pinged Antoine Thomas but links didn't help much... Docs don't help today using the facilities offered by Eclipse.org
- Quality of the Eclipse Marketplace Plugin
PMC Rep Attendees
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |