Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/October 13 2011"

Line 16: Line 16:
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne<br/><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/>Kenn Hussey
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
| Jeff McAffer
+
| <strike>Jeff McAffer</strike>
 
| Tom Watson
 
| Tom Watson
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''
 
| '''SOA:'''
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
|  
+
| Sebastien Gandon
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
Line 56: Line 56:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Chuck Bridgham
+
| <strike>Chuck Bridgham</strike>
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
 +
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (vacation), Adrian Mos (conflict), Achim Lörke (conflict), Tom Schindl (travelling)
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (vacation), Adrian Mos (conflict), Achim Lörke (conflict), Tom Schindl (travelling)
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Pascal Rapicault, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
+
  
<!--
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Christian Campo (conflict)
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Adrian Mos, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
-->
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 144: Line 139:
 
* Andrew: '''EAC get-together at Eclipecon Europe'''
 
* Andrew: '''EAC get-together at Eclipecon Europe'''
 
** Arrange on the mailinglist
 
** Arrange on the mailinglist
 
 
=== General Topics ===
 
 
* Updates from the Board
 
* git @ Eclipse progress
 
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
 
* AC Backlog
 
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
* Henrik Lindberg ESE proceedings are now online [[WhatIsInABuildESE2010]]
 
** '''AI zx''' Create Indigo report
 
 
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
 
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
 
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
 
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
 
 
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
 
 
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
 
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
 
 
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
 
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
 
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
 
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==

Revision as of 11:09, 13 October 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday October 13, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Kenn Hussey
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (vacation), Adrian Mos (conflict), Achim Lörke (conflict), Tom Schindl (travelling)
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Pascal Rapicault, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Welcome Sebastien Gandon (Talend) - Architect at Talend, not committer yet, new Talend Rep
  • Sebastien: Sopera - change of focus from runtime not really true, Sopera bought by Talen - focusing on runtime now, building a root builder and going to contribute
  • Wayne: bug 358980 retire CVS (in favor of git, starting to use the carrot as a stick .. talking about Dev 21,2012 for CVS to go read-only now)
    • asking AC members to help making that a reality
    • Looking at probably retiring SVN support too (not talked to Subversive yet, but going to deprecate from the New Project Provisioning form)
    • egit learning curve... been cited a lot as reason to not move, but we NEED TO start getting things off webmaster's plate
      • egit will never be the same as CVS
      • egit continues to evolve... provide more input
      • hoping that more good things come out of the pressure on teams to move
    • Kim: For projects that haven't moved yet, make it clear that there IS a cost moving
    • Wayne: Moving foundation-managed resources to git (website), putting together a collection of materials for people to learn
  • Gunnar: git releng and tagging strategies (eclipse-dev discussion)
    • Proper solution / migration path from the Mapfiles ?
    • "Git Releng" about to be moved back from egit into Eclipse Releng (just waited for Eclipse Releng to move to git)
    • John: Orion experience was that the only way to move forward was for the Builder to run the tagging script
      • Mapfiles ONLY for replacing version qualifiers; Mapfiles generated automatically; scripts in Orion releng, and floating around
      • Orion always builds from master .. but few developers; Platform is larger, thus idea of 2 branches
      • Orion doesn't use git flow - single branch rather than 2 branches
        • Platform team want "N-builds" in dev branch for all the tests, then "I-builds" in stable/master branch
      • Do any non-trivial change in a private branch, then merge into master when done
    • Naming .. don't care much
    • git flow has some helper scripts that help enforcing the model (eg require any checkin to master must be in dev first)
    • Andrew: Linuxtools pretty small - checkins just into master, CI does git pull every 6 hours or so. "Stable" release branches for releases (stabilization).
    • Doug: Very similar
  • John: It's common in git to work on multiple branches ... but our CI / automated builds are only set up to build on ONE branch
    • Martin: That's built into Gerrit (tied into Hudson) - but unsure how that would work with multiple git repos
  • bug 358917 naming: Enforce different ID's for plugins and features
    • Tycho made a change to enforce the groupID match the artifactID .. perception that ID's have to be different but that's not true
    • Doug: Just uses different group ID for features and bundles
    • Martin: Branding in About Dlg comes from branding bundle that has the same ID as the feature (but there's workarounds)
    • John: many small addons consist of just a single bundle (and feature)... makes no sense to require different ID's
    • RESOLUTION enforcing different ID's can't be a best practice.
  • John: bug 340067 port SWT to GTK3
    • Anyone's welcome to participate
  • Wayne: Updates from the Board and EMO
    • Working with Nathan re-imagine the development portal eg default website - early stages of implementation right now, going to open bugs
    • Long-term support ... EMO posted a job description, looking for an EMO staff member to do releng
    • Gerrit: Denis actively working on it, keeping updates on bug 283749
  • git and IP logs
    • Updated IP logs to extract contributor information from git (using the "Author" field - Development Resources/Handling Git Contributions)
      • Might lead to some duplication in the IP log in the beginning ..
      • Asking Project leads to review the IP log for correctness
        • git queries are expensive, so results are cached and only an "update" is made when generating again
        • background process runs every couple days to clean up
        • If something is missing, either contact Wayne or wait a couple days.
      • Recommendation to include the bug number in the commit message for linking contribution to bug
      • Still need the bug today (for the legal statement), but may not need to iplog+ ... will be replaced by Gerrit when it's running.
    • What's the easiest way to fix the "Author" info?
      • Tom: Amend Commit is easiest
      • John: egit has a field in the commit comment to enter the Author
      • Tom: For patches there's two formats, one with Author info / the other not.
    • Wayne: Make sure the Author is set, then you get the IP log for free
    • Deletions can now count as contributions too
  • Andrew: EAC get-together at Eclipecon Europe
    • Arrange on the mailinglist

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting