Architecture Council/Meetings/November 12 2009
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 13:07, 12 November 2009 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
- Eugene, Darin Wright, Neil Hauge, Oisin, Linda Chan, Wayne Beaton, Mary Ruddy, Martin O, John Arthorne, Doug Schaefer, Mik Kersten, Tom Watson, Andrew Overholt, Dave Williams, Nick Boldt
- ... and one Name I did not understand
- Regrets: Tim deBoer
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/October 8 2009
- Martin to recommend Nick Boldt to Mike for nomination
- Martin to talk to Eclipse PMC regarding e4 representation, API deprecation
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- Martin: pre-integration of tools
- IntelliJ gone open source.
- Main value proposition is better pre-integration of tools (e.g. svn).
- Eclipse Platform interested in getting improvements in that area, e.g. simpler pre-integration of update sites into the Eclipse Platform -- something like an "Add to my Workbench" wizard to get hi-profile things like Mylyn, XML Editor, svn ... that people need.
- AC input on that idea? Who would help out or provide content / extensions for such an infrastructure?
- Mik: There is two categories - pre-integration of Tools (svn,...) , and pre-integration of frameworks (Grails, spring framework)
- Eclipse relies on its ecosystem for making this available
- Either bring more stuff into Eclipse, or make it easier to install stuff after the fact
- Wayne: We don't have the resources to test. Would love to see a better install story
- Martin/John: Eclipse Platform thinking about pre-configured profiles to install... e.g. in Eclipse Platform, have a "Give me an XML Editor"
- Oisin: p2 is a great platform (automatic dependency mgmt), UI is lacking
- Mik: Installing the Mylyn integrations was just too hard
- Mik: bug 291094 - Install Technologies
- Wayne: Generalizing the Discovery Connector is a step in the right direction
- Mylyn Connector Discovery is a UI on top of p2
- Vendor puts together a single update site (with references to other sites)
- Need to be careful about IP (works-with dependency)
- David W: Load on the Server may be High
- bug 261544 API Deprecation Policies
- John: This is focused on the Platform, no attempt to craft something universally valid
- Martin: But projects said last month they were interested in a Platform Policy
- See Eclipse/API Central/Deprecation Policy
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
Items for next meeting
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven