Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/November 12 2009"

(New Topics)
Line 20: Line 20:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
+
| Brian Payton
 
| Linda Chan
 
| Linda Chan
 
|-
 
|-
Line 61: Line 61:
  
 
* '''Signed-up:'''  
 
* '''Signed-up:'''  
** Eugene, Darin Wright, Neil Hauge, Oisin, Linda Chan, Wayne Beaton, Mary Ruddy, Martin O, John Arthorne, Doug Schaefer, Mik Kersten, Tom Watson, Andrew Overholt, Dave Williams, Nick Boldt
+
** John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Darin Wright
 
** ... and one Name I did not understand
 
** ... and one Name I did not understand
  
* '''Regrets:''' Tim deBoer
+
* '''Regrets:''' Boris Bokowski, Tim deBoer, Doug Gaff, Ed Merks, Darin Swanson
* '''No-Show:'''
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Cedric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
+
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski (late), Cedric Brun, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Ed Merks, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue,
+
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Gaff, Jeff McAffer
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Oisin Hurley, Bernd Kolb, Wenfeng Li, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==

Revision as of 06:38, 13 November 2009

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday November 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
Tom Watson
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Dave Williams
  • Signed-up:
    • John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Darin Wright
    • ... and one Name I did not understand
  • Regrets: Boris Bokowski, Tim deBoer, Doug Gaff, Ed Merks, Darin Swanson
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Cedric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Martin: pre-integration of tools
    • IntelliJ gone open source.
    • Main value proposition is better pre-integration of tools (e.g. svn).
    • Eclipse Platform interested in getting improvements in that area, e.g. simpler pre-integration of update sites into the Eclipse Platform -- something like an "Add to my Workbench" wizard to get hi-profile things like Mylyn, XML Editor, svn ... that people need.
    • AC input on that idea? Who would help out or provide content / extensions for such an infrastructure?
      • Mik: There is two categories - pre-integration of Tools (svn,...) , and pre-integration of frameworks (Grails, spring framework)
      • Eclipse relies on its ecosystem for making this available
      • Either bring more stuff into Eclipse, or make it easier to install stuff after the fact
      • Wayne: We don't have the resources to test. Would love to see a better install story
      • Martin/John: Eclipse Platform thinking about pre-configured profiles to install... e.g. in Eclipse Platform, have a "Give me an XML Editor"
      • Oisin: p2 is a great platform (automatic dependency mgmt), UI is lacking
      • Mik: Installing the Mylyn integrations was just too hard
  • Mik: bug 291094 - Install Technologies
    • Wayne: Generalizing the Discovery Connector is a step in the right direction
    • Mylyn Connector Discovery is a UI on top of p2
    • Vendor puts together a single update site (with references to other sites)
    • Need to be careful about IP (works-with dependency)
    • David W: Load on the Server may be High
  • bug 261544 API Deprecation Policies
    • John: This is focused on the Platform, no attempt to craft something universally valid
    • Martin: But projects said last month they were interested in a Platform Policy
    • See Eclipse/API Central/Deprecation Policy

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

Items for next meeting

Old Topics

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
  • bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
  • The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven


Next Meeting