Architecture Council/Meetings/November 11 2010
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 12:06, 11 November 2010 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 11, 2010 at 1630 UTC / 0830 SFO / 1130 Ottawa / 1630 London / 1730 Berlin attention DST change|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|Modeling:||Ed Merks|| |
|RT:||Jeff McAffer||Tom Watson|
|Tools:|| </strike>Doug Schaefer
|WTP:||<strike>Tim deBoer|| |
- Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
- Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
- No-Show: John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/October 14 2010
- (old) Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- EclipseCon - any architecture related talks planned?
- Martin wants to do an API Tutorial, anybody want to join?
- AC Panel -
- Kim: Platform Builds and Tests at Eclipse.org - anybody got a Mac they could donate? See bug 329830
- Test parallelization on multiple machines all done by Hudson... test-job for each target arch kicked off as soon as the main build is done
- Maven and Group ID
- Wayne: Slingshot - something like the Helios repository but optional to join, exposed as p2 and Maven repository
- Do we need Eclipse.org code on Maven Central, or is it sufficient to host a repo at Eclipse.org? Don't want to have another IT burden at Eclipse.org
- Jeff: Don't care what the solution is, but there should be consensus or we'll mess up our consumers. AC should be involved,
- We had a conclusion, but looks like didn't get the word out.
- Hudson reliability
- Better than last year but not perfect yet ... still a slave needs rebooting couple times a week, but issue does seem to get sufficient attention
- Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
- PDE Build, Tycho, Athena, Buckminster, b3 ... ?
- Still some confusion... there was a Build Symposion by Nick, Henrik and others at ESE...
- Google Doc spreadsheet around, updated recently (missing info for Maven, but got info for Tycho)
- IP Logs - Martin and Wayne
- Martin sent E-Mail to Wayne with consumer requirements for IP Logs ... Wayne's Woolsey project likely going to meet these (auto-gen logs)
- AI Wayne to follow up and create bug reports against Woolsey
- News from the Board, EMO and Councils
- Board meeting happened at ESE,
e4 - current state of affairs
- PC / Release Train Relationship to Eclipse 4.0
- Martin: TM/RSE runs on Eclipse 4.1m3 ... encourage using 4.1 as development env and have nightly builds run against Indigo/3.7
- Very easy to set up, ensures source compatibility against 4.x
- Just download the [Eclipse 4.1 SDK], then Install additional dependencies via p2, then open your existing workspace
- Or physically copy your workspace to a new location for the 4.x host and open it there
- Over all a very positive experience
- AI Martin to blog this
- What will be the recommendation when we release 3.7 and 4.1 in parallel ?
- Dave W: 4.1 will not be a beta but kinda "secondary" e.g. no EPP packages directly for 4.1, but allow easy update from 3.7 EPP to 4.1
- Projects to report on their plans for 4.1 (test on it / compile against it / exploit it in any way)
- No official data about what works / doesn't work on 4.1 (eg Mylyn is known as one of the more problematic); some NLS issues (BIDI support? unsure about the amount of support).
Items for next meeting
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- Martin - recently updated the Eclipse/Workspace/Committer_FAQ#Becoming_a_Committer with pretty strict criteria (committed contributions)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
- (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
- Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
- Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
- Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems