Architecture Council/Meetings/November 11 2010
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 12:33, 11 November 2010 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 11, 2010 at 1630 UTC / 0830 SFO / 1130 Ottawa / 1630 London / 1730 Berlin attention DST change|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|Modeling:||Ed Merks|| |
|RT:||Jeff McAffer||Tom Watson|
- Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
- Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
- No-Show: John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/October 14 2010
- (old) Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- EclipseCon - any architecture related talks planned?
- Martin wants to do an API Tutorial, anybody want to join?
- AC Panel - AI Martin send invitation to ac mailing list
- Kim: Platform Builds and Tests at Eclipse.org - anybody got a Mac they could donate? See bug 329830
- Test parallelization on multiple machines all done by Hudson... test-job for each target arch kicked off as soon as the main build is done
- AI Wayne to bring mac mini to Denis
- Maven and Group ID
- Wayne: Slingshot - something like the Helios repository but optional to join, exposed as p2 and Maven repository
- Do we need Eclipse.org code on Maven Central, or is it sufficient to host a repo at Eclipse.org? Don't want to have another IT burden at Eclipse.org
- Jeff: Don't care what the solution is, but there should be consensus or we'll mess up our consumers. AC should be involved,
- We had a conclusion, but looks like didn't get the word out.
- AI Wayne commenting on the Thread
- Hudson reliability
- Better than last year but not perfect yet ... still a slave needs rebooting couple times a week, but issue does seem to get sufficient attention
- bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
- not yet - AI Wayne extract arch slide onto AC Wiki
- Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
- PDE Build, Tycho, Athena, Buckminster, b3 ... ?
- Still some confusion... there was a Build Symposion by Nick, Henrik and others at ESE...
- Google Doc spreadsheet around, updated recently (missing info for Maven, but got info for Tycho)
- AI Martin get in touch with Nick / Henrik about ESE Talks:
- IP Logs - Martin and Wayne
- Martin sent E-Mail to Wayne with consumer requirements for IP Logs ... Wayne's Woolsey project likely going to meet these (auto-gen logs)
- AI Wayne to follow up and create bug reports against Woolsey
- News from the Board, EMO and Councils
- Board meeting happened at ESE, but no public notes yet
e4 - current state of affairs
- PC / Release Train Relationship to Eclipse 4.0
- Martin: TM/RSE runs on Eclipse 4.1m3 ... encourage using 4.1 as development env and have nightly builds run against Indigo/3.7
- Very easy to set up, ensures source compatibility against 4.x
- Just download the [Eclipse 4.1 SDK], then Install additional dependencies via p2, then open your existing workspace
- Or physically copy your workspace to a new location for the 4.x host and open it there
- Over all a very positive experience
- AI Martin to blog this
- What will be the recommendation when we release 3.7 and 4.1 in parallel ?
- Dave W: 4.1 will not be a beta but kinda "secondary" e.g. no EPP packages directly for 4.1, but allow easy update from 3.7 EPP to 4.1
- Projects to report on their plans for 4.1 (test on it / compile against it / exploit it in any way)
- No official data about what works / doesn't work on 4.1 (eg Mylyn is known as one of the more problematic); some NLS issues (BIDI support? unsure about the amount of support).
- Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
- Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
- Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems
- others, see as AI above