Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/November 11 2010"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(New Topics)
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 22: Line 22:
 
| Brian Payton
 
| Brian Payton
 
| Linda Chan
 
| Linda Chan
|-
 
| '''DSDP:'''
 
| Martin Oberhuber
 
| TBD (DSDP-PMC)
 
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
+
| <strike>John Arthorne</strike><br/><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
Line 40: Line 36:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Antoine Toulme
+
| <strike>Antoine Toulme</strike>
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''
 
| '''Tools:'''
| Doug Schaefer
+
| <strike>Doug Schaefer</strike>
 
|
 
|
 
|-
 
|-
Line 56: Line 52:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br/><strike>Neil Hauge</strike><br/>David Williams
 
|}
 
|}
  
 +
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
 
+
* '''No-Show:''' John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Wayne Beaton, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mik Kersten, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical)
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 73: Line 65:
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/October 14 2010]]
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/October 14 2010]]
* (''old'') '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 
 
* (''old'') '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
 
* (''old'') '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
 
* Still open items moved to [[#Action Items]]
 
* Still open items moved to [[#Action Items]]
Line 83: Line 72:
 
* '''EclipseCon''' - any architecture related talks planned?
 
* '''EclipseCon''' - any architecture related talks planned?
 
** Martin wants to do an API Tutorial, anybody want to join?
 
** Martin wants to do an API Tutorial, anybody want to join?
 +
** AC Panel - '''AI Martin''' send invitation to ac mailing list
  
* Maven and Group ID
+
* Kim: '''Platform Builds and Tests at Eclipse.org''' - anybody got a Mac they could donate? See [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=329830 bug 329830]
 +
** Test parallelization on multiple machines all done by Hudson... test-job for each target arch kicked off as soon as the main build is done
 +
** '''AI Wayne''' to bring mac mini to Denis
  
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
+
* '''Maven and Group ID'''
* Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
+
** Wayne: Slingshot - something like the Helios repository but optional to join, exposed as p2 '''and''' Maven repository
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
+
** Do we need Eclipse.org code on Maven Central, or is it sufficient to host a repo at Eclipse.org? Don't want to have another IT burden at Eclipse.org
 +
** Jeff: Don't care what the solution is, but there should be consensus or we'll mess up our consumers. AC should be involved,
 +
*** We had a conclusion, but looks like didn't get the word out.
 +
*** '''AI Wayne''' commenting on the Thread
  
=== e4 - current state of affairs ===
+
* '''Hudson reliability'''
 +
** Better than last year but not perfect yet ... still a slave needs rebooting couple times a week, but issue does seem to get sufficient attention
  
* PC / Release Train Relationship to Eclipse 4.0
+
* '''{{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams''' - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
** Martin: TM/RSE runs on Eclipse 4.1m3
+
** not yet - '''AI Wayne''' extract arch slide onto AC Wiki
  
=== Items for next meeting ===
+
* '''Build systems requirements''' - Antoine, Dave C
 +
** PDE Build, Tycho, Athena, Buckminster, b3 ... ?
 +
** Still some confusion... there was a Build Symposion by Nick, Henrik and others at ESE...
 +
** [https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmGcQy-AtllqdDV3eUtCTEM0TU5UakVFbFAyWUhyZnc&hl=en#gid=0 Google Doc spreadsheet] -- updated recently (missing info for Maven, but got info for Tycho)
 +
** '''AI Martin''' get in touch with Nick, Henrik, Oisin, Jason about ESE Talks:
 +
*** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/summiteurope2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1924 What's in a Build? Best Practices and Requirements] - Nick, Henrik
 +
*** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/summiteurope2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1869 Build Systems Exposed: Strengths & Weaknesses of Build Technologies at Eclipse] - Oisin, Henrik, Nick, Jason
 +
*** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/summiteurope2010/sessions/?page=sessions&id=1923 b3: Evolutionary Change] - Henrik
  
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
+
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne
 +
** Martin sent E-Mail to Wayne with consumer requirements for IP Logs ... Wayne's Woolsey project likely going to meet these (auto-gen logs)
 +
** '''AI Wayne''' to follow up and create bug reports against Woolsey
  
=== Old Topics ===
+
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
 +
** Board meeting happened at ESE, but no public notes yet
  
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
+
=== e4 - current state of affairs ===
  
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
+
* PC / Release Train Relationship to Eclipse 4.0
* {{bug|285074}} - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
+
** Martin: TM/RSE runs on Eclipse 4.1m3 ... encourage using 4.1 as development env and have nightly builds run against Indigo/3.7
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
+
** Very easy to set up, ensures source compatibility against 4.x
 
+
** Just download the [[http://download.eclipse.org/e4/sdk/ Eclipse 4.1 SDK]], then Install additional dependencies via p2, then open your existing workspace
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
+
*** Or physically copy your workspace to a new location for the 4.x host and open it there
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
+
*** Over all a very positive experience
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
+
*** '''AI Martin''' to blog this
 +
*** What will be the recommendation when we release 3.7 and 4.1 in parallel ?
 +
*** Dave W: 4.1 will not be a beta but kinda "secondary" e.g. no EPP packages directly for 4.1, but allow easy update from 3.7 EPP to 4.1
 +
*** Projects to report on their plans for 4.1 (test on it / compile against it / exploit it in any way)
 +
** No official data about what works / doesn't work on 4.1 (eg Mylyn is known as one of the more problematic); some NLS issues (BIDI support? unsure about the amount of support).
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
 
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
 
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
 
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
 
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
 
** Martin - recently updated the [[Eclipse/Workspace/Committer_FAQ#Becoming_a_Committer]] with pretty strict criteria (committed contributions)
 
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' come up with a document how to save build resources
 
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
* (''old'') '''Tom S''' Athena Common Builder Cookbook
 
* (''old'') '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
 
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 
* '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
 
* '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
 +
* others, see as AI above
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==

Latest revision as of 17:09, 16 November 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday November 11, 2010 at 1630 UTC / 0830 SFO / 1130 Ottawa / 1630 London / 1730 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
David Williams
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
  • No-Show: John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf

[edit] Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

  • EclipseCon - any architecture related talks planned?
    • Martin wants to do an API Tutorial, anybody want to join?
    • AC Panel - AI Martin send invitation to ac mailing list
  • Kim: Platform Builds and Tests at Eclipse.org - anybody got a Mac they could donate? See bug 329830
    • Test parallelization on multiple machines all done by Hudson... test-job for each target arch kicked off as soon as the main build is done
    • AI Wayne to bring mac mini to Denis
  • Maven and Group ID
    • Wayne: Slingshot - something like the Helios repository but optional to join, exposed as p2 and Maven repository
    • Do we need Eclipse.org code on Maven Central, or is it sufficient to host a repo at Eclipse.org? Don't want to have another IT burden at Eclipse.org
    • Jeff: Don't care what the solution is, but there should be consensus or we'll mess up our consumers. AC should be involved,
      • We had a conclusion, but looks like didn't get the word out.
      • AI Wayne commenting on the Thread
  • Hudson reliability
    • Better than last year but not perfect yet ... still a slave needs rebooting couple times a week, but issue does seem to get sufficient attention
  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
    • not yet - AI Wayne extract arch slide onto AC Wiki
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne
    • Martin sent E-Mail to Wayne with consumer requirements for IP Logs ... Wayne's Woolsey project likely going to meet these (auto-gen logs)
    • AI Wayne to follow up and create bug reports against Woolsey
  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
    • Board meeting happened at ESE, but no public notes yet

[edit] e4 - current state of affairs

  • PC / Release Train Relationship to Eclipse 4.0
    • Martin: TM/RSE runs on Eclipse 4.1m3 ... encourage using 4.1 as development env and have nightly builds run against Indigo/3.7
    • Very easy to set up, ensures source compatibility against 4.x
    • Just download the [Eclipse 4.1 SDK], then Install additional dependencies via p2, then open your existing workspace
      • Or physically copy your workspace to a new location for the 4.x host and open it there
      • Over all a very positive experience
      • AI Martin to blog this
      • What will be the recommendation when we release 3.7 and 4.1 in parallel ?
      • Dave W: 4.1 will not be a beta but kinda "secondary" e.g. no EPP packages directly for 4.1, but allow easy update from 3.7 EPP to 4.1
      • Projects to report on their plans for 4.1 (test on it / compile against it / exploit it in any way)
    • No official data about what works / doesn't work on 4.1 (eg Mylyn is known as one of the more problematic); some NLS issues (BIDI support? unsure about the amount of support).

[edit] Action Items

  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems
  • others, see as AI above

[edit] Next Meeting