Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/Nov 18 2008 F2F ESE 2008"
m (Architecture Council/F2F ESE 2008 moved to Architecture Council/Meetings/Nov 18 2008 F2F ESE 2008)
Latest revision as of 16:39, 20 March 2011
- Wayne Beaton, Eclipse
- Boris Bokowski, IBM
- Doug Clarke, Oracle
- Richard Gronback, Borland
- Markus Knauer, Innoopract
- Bernd Kolb, SAP
- Ed Merks, Macro Modeling
- Martin Oberhuber, Wind River
- Doug Schaefer, Wind River
- Michael Scharf, Wind River
- Georg Schmidt, brox IT-Solutions GmbH
- Tom Schindl, BestSolution.at
- Gunnar Wagenknecht, AGETO
- Chris Aniszczyk, Sven Efftinge, Jeff McAffer
- Neil Hauge, John Arthorne, David Carver, McQ, Tom Watson, Eugene Chan, Darin Swanson, Oliver E. Cole, Darin Wright, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Karsten Schmidt, Mike Milinkovich
- Brian Fitzpatrick, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, Oisin Hurley
Date, Time and Location
Tuesday 18-Nov 19:00 dinner together at hotel nestor.
- Meet at the Lobby of hotel nestor at 18:00 for a chat (since some of us need to join the Sponsor's dinner at 19:00)
- At 19:00, walk over to Gasthof zum Goldenen Rössle together (Directions here)
- It will be an informal meeting in the sense that we won't make any decisions since not enough members will be available.
- Wayne on Mentorship and theTechnology PMC: few phone meetings, most communication by E-Mail. Wayne does reviews with projects which he announces, this makes some projects shudder and work on compliance with e.g. website guidelines. He also asks other PMC members to do such reviews with projects in order to kick them get going with Community Development.
- Richard: Mentorship is a pull-model, up to the mentored projects. Some of his projects ask a lot, others do not.
- Wayne on Usage Data: Current dataset from about 75000 "users", and growing. Queries take long. Unsure how to leverage the data. "Clustering" plugins which are used together was interesting, but on the new large dataset such queries don't work easily any more.
- Martin on Micro Projects: We should have more pre-canned website content to get projects up and running. See e4 homepage. Currently every project is doing their own thing. Getting started with homepage, builder, downloads, project plan etc. takes too long.
- Wayne: make the "About this Project" page the homepage for new projects?
- Markus on the new EPP: Will be using P2, all packaging code re-written, P2 is the right direction. Install Wizard. New UDC.
- Richard on Common Builder: many shellscripts with much duplication of functionality that's in PDE Build already. Worried that the lot of "specialized" duplication solutions are hard to maintain.
- Richard on e4: He doesn't see need in his company/project for breaking innovation, so he's not participating. Worried about participation by volunteers who might go away at any time and leave something unmanageable behind. Worried about a lack of cohesive architecture by overall overseer. If the foundation made every strategic member participate in e4 with 2 developers, he would join.
Original Agenda (items not discussed)
- Mentorship: Talk about the rationale, process and advantages of mentorship. Result of the session should be an actual Wiki page about mentorship
- AC Web Appearance: Improve the AC Wiki to have important information better highlighted (e.g. how to report an AC bug, how to ask for a mentor) and make the visual appearance more pleasant. Also, improving and clarifying the self-description of what the AC is.
- Threats of "hot-spots" in dependencies - RT, SMILA and consumed non-Eclipse libraries (Georg Schmidt); what happens if e.g. Apache Log4J goes in a direction that's not compatible with Eclipse
- Reducing Bloat - How to improve re-use of functionality across all of Eclipse
- Interfacing with (L)GPL'd libs - what we can or can't do, and how to approach the Board
- Improving our Architecture Council/Links Collection
- (MartinO) Bugs on the AC Component