Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/May 16 2013"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(General Topics)
 
(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
Line 37: Line 37:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne<br><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br>Sven Efftinge<br>Eike Stepper
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br>Eike Stepper
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
| Christian Campo
+
| <strike>Christian Campo</strike>
| Tom Watson<br>Doug Clarke<br>Ian Bull
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike><br>Doug Clarke<br>Ian Bull
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
| Marc Dutoo<br>Sebastien Gandon
+
| <strike>Marc Dutoo</strike><br><strike>Sebastien Gandon</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
Line 61: Line 61:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''  
 
| '''Tools:'''  
| Doug Schaefer  
+
| <strike>Doug Schaefer</strike>
 
| <br>
 
| <br>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| Chuck Bridgham
 
| Chuck Bridgham
| Dave Carver<br>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
 
===All Attendees===
 
===All Attendees===
  
* '''Regrets:''' Sebastien Gandon, Achim Lörke, Doug Schaefer, Adrian Mos, Benjamin Cabe
+
* '''Signed-Up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Martin O., Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams
  
* '''Signed-Up:''' Linda Chan, Eike Stepper, Martin O., Ed Merks, Krum Tsvetkov, Michael Scharf, Chuck Bridgham, Gunnar Wagenknecht, John Arthorne, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Ian Bull, David Williams, Wayne Beaton
+
* '''Regrets:''' Benjamin Cabé, Sebastien Gandon, Achim Lörke, Doug Schaefer, Adrian Mos
  
<!--
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
* '''Signed-Up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson
+
* '''Regrets:'''  Martin O., Christian Campo, Sebastien Gandon, Andrew Overholt
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Achim Loerke, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Krum Tsvetkov
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
Line 149: Line 145:
  
 
* Wayne: '''New Projects'''
 
* Wayne: '''New Projects'''
** Don't get lots of new proposals recently, but still seeing some upsurge ... in the area of Polarsys, M2M and some other areas that we haven't done traditionally
+
** Our rate of incoming proposals slowed for a while, but we are seeing some upsurge ... in the area of Polarsys, M2M and some other areas that we haven't done traditionally
** NoJS
+
** New [http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.ponte/ Ponte] project is based on node.js.
 
** Existing AC still very suitable for mentoring potential new projects
 
** Existing AC still very suitable for mentoring potential new projects
 +
** Looking for new recruits in "non-traditional" areas.
  
 
* Ian: '''Is it a must for projects to build their stuff on Hudson at Eclipse ?'''
 
* Ian: '''Is it a must for projects to build their stuff on Hudson at Eclipse ?'''
Line 159: Line 156:
  
 
* Wayne: '''Reminder to get Project Plans Done !!'''
 
* Wayne: '''Reminder to get Project Plans Done !!'''
 
  
 
== Action Items  ==
 
== Action Items  ==

Latest revision as of 13:15, 16 May 2013

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday May 16, 2013 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge

[edit] All Attendees

  • Signed-Up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Martin O., Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams
  • Regrets: Benjamin Cabé, Sebastien Gandon, Achim Lörke, Doug Schaefer, Adrian Mos
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson

[edit] Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

  • Martin: Kepler Simrel status ?
    • How to have download statistics enabled in p2 in your build ?
      • People seem to hand-edit XML files
      • AI Martin send back on the mailing list

[edit] bug 404861 Download Page Simplification

  • Martin: bug 404861 Download page simplification
    • Michael Scharf: There's commercial solutions (Yoxos, Pulse).. but "creating your IDE" is still incredibly difficult
    • IntelliJ is much better in that respect, you just tell it what you want and it cares for the rest
      • Just choose a set of languages; then once started, easily choose a wizard to install and uninstall plugins
      • At Eclipse, it used to be hunting for plugins - now it's hunting for update sites
      • Yoxos is good, but when you need something outside Yoxos you're lost
    • When finding some plugins on Github, it's incredibly difficult to get the dependencies
  • Existing packages work well for "some" community... but there's big potential for other communities
  • What is the right place where to start ?
    • People start at the Download Page. Make the choices simple. (Maybe involving commercial distributions ?) Today there's too many choices to make.
  • Showing, (and removing) update sites is very hard ... maybe at least language choices can be simplified ?
    • Martin has hope in Marketplace Client
  • Ian: From Yoxos Experience, it's easy to package things up ... but it's very hard to make things work together (eg when some particular version of Ruby is needed, ....)
  • Martin: There are Capabilities in MPC, and p2 which allow people / communities to "create their own profile" or "micro-package"
    • Could we just promote that idea, allowing "communities" to build and promote their "packages"
  • Michael: Ideally "here is some source code, what tools could I use for this"
  • Wayne: Start putting such ideas into bugzilla

[edit] Gerrit and CLA's

  • Martin: CLA status ? - Gerrit seemed unable today to accept a CLA or add an E-Mail address, bugzilla also down ?
  • Wayne: Gerrit shouldn't offer signing a CLA yet; but there's a test/sandbox Gerrit to try out the infrastructure
  • See also http://wiki.eclipse.org/CLA

[edit] Development Process

  • AI All Review the EDP and the backlog until next month, add change requests to bugzilla
    • AI Martin put backlog URL into the meeting notes

[edit] Messages to the Committers mailing list

  • Maybe send a regular message from the AC once every month to the committers mailing list
  • Martin thinks AC members should be empowered and encouraged to send a message to the eclipse-committers mailing list ... as long as traffic is not too much ... it's a moderated list anyways
    • Wayne - some coordination on timing makes sense

[edit] How to contribute docs

  • bug 397644 Howto contribute docs / templates
    • Current recommendation: Add a text file named CONTRIBUTING into the git repo ... today, we have many HTML examples but no textual one
    • Looking for a good example
    • Also add LICENSE and README files into the git repo .. is that out of scope ?
    • Guide looks pretty good now ... might not be perfect, but perhaps it's time to publish.
    • AI should add 1 example of a "good" project, then publish

[edit] General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO
    • Ed: There was quite some discussion on the IntelliJ / Google announcement re Android tools
    • Ed think that there was not enough effort for coming up with a good integration, and then a mediocre end result reflected back on all of Eclipse
  • Wayne: New Projects
    • Our rate of incoming proposals slowed for a while, but we are seeing some upsurge ... in the area of Polarsys, M2M and some other areas that we haven't done traditionally
    • New Ponte project is based on node.js.
    • Existing AC still very suitable for mentoring potential new projects
    • Looking for new recruits in "non-traditional" areas.
  • Ian: Is it a must for projects to build their stuff on Hudson at Eclipse ?
    • Wayne: Building off site is perfectly fine, a lot of projects do that recently
    • Projects participating in LTS must be able to build on Eclipse.org infrastructure
    • Martin: From a Community building point of view, anybody should be able to build the stuff easily
  • Wayne: Reminder to get Project Plans Done !!

[edit] Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

[edit] Next Meeting