Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/May 12 2011"

Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
| Jeff McAffer
+
| <strike>Jeff McAffer</strike>
| Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Antoine Toulme
+
| <strike>Antoine Toulme</strike>
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
 
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
| Wayne Beaton
+
| <strike>Wayne Beaton</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''
 
| '''Tools:'''
Line 52: Line 52:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''TPTP:'''
 
| '''TPTP:'''
| Jonathan West
+
| <strike>Jonathan West</strike>
 
|  
 
|  
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
 
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
 
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
Line 146: Line 146:
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
* Pascal's {{bug|331385}} naming conventions for p2 Repos - no time for this at the moment
 
* Pascal's {{bug|331385}} naming conventions for p2 Repos - no time for this at the moment
* Henrik Lindberg ESE proceedings are now online [[WhatIsInABuildESE2010]]
 
** '''AI zx''' Create Indigo report
 
 
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
 
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
 
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
 
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
 
 
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
 
 
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
 
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
 
 
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
 
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
 
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
 
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==

Revision as of 12:04, 12 May 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday May 12, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Martin O, Brian Payton, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Steffen Pingel, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
  • No-Show: Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Updates from the Board

  • What are the criteria for starting a new project at Eclipse ?
    • Existing code and community;
    • But sometimes existing Eclipse committers want to start something new so they don't have code yet
    • Eg Orion was forced to create the code upfront
    • Foundation didn't want projects that lead nowhere ... increase the chances for project to be successful
    • Could go into an update to the Dev process
    • AI Boris open Bugzilla

Hudson coming to Eclipse

  • Pascal: Worries about Hudson coming to Eclipse, potential re-union with Jenkins and desire to not use the Eclipse Development Process
  • Would like to release every week
  • Ed: If they say they don't like the Process they should be more specific
  • zx having some private discussions with the Jenkins guys .. might remain 2 projects though
  • Looks like it's a Jenkins - Hudson thing that we can do little about .. other than reaching out and informing Jenkins what Eclipse is really about

Maven @ Eclipse progress

  • zx: signing and publishing making some progress, will hopefully have some code by next call, for signing and publishing via Maven / Tycho
    • bug 339915 Parent POM - not yet, zx working on a draft to send out .. signing would inherit from Parent
    • bug 288644 name spaces / group ID for Maven artifacts - Dave Carver suggests org.eclipse.jdt etc as group ID, corresponding to projects
    • Other related bugs bug 283745 and bug 337068
    • Convert p2 repo into Maven or build with Tycho? - Dave recommends moving forward (creating guidelines)
    • Pascal: Should eventually discuss whether some artifacts should be promoted to Maven Central
      • Maybe a topic for later... some common usable blocks like jface, emf
      • First step is getting stuff into our own Nexus repo, then publish to Central

Moving to git

  • Brian P: When do projects move over, do they have to move over? How much work is the migration (for a skeleton crew)?
  • Boris: Eclipse SDK thinking about moving to git after Indigo for new Dev Streams (not maintenance)
    • Few teams have experience; running test builds with some bundles from git; but unclear how fast can move
  • zx: BIRT looking to move after Indigo; same for Mylyn (50% in git already); CDT going right after indigo
    • Neil: WTP discussions on PMC level - Dave C volunteers to contribute experience from WTP Incubator
  • zx had discussed with Wayne some Workgroup / Wiki page to aid in migration
    • Initially list of projects who're planning to migrate ... also collect experiences
    • Dave C: There is a migration page already
    • AI zx put together something
    • JohnA: Should also collect some wisdom on how to proceed after migration
      • eg how to work with clones on Github ... contributing back from a clone on Github is problematic since 1-way copy
      • In Theory, github enables clones / contributions very easily but contributing back is very hard
        • Seems to be an architectural problem with how github is set up ... it assumes the master is there
        • Getting the patches is painful, but it's still better than what we had before
      • Pascal: Make github the primary clone? - Not allowed by Bylaws today
      • Gerrit would make things much easier (just push into Gerrit without going through Github)
        • CDT very interested in Gerrit... Denis workin on it
        • egit working on github related tooling for pull requests ... but may take a while
    • Scope of the problem ... maybe it's not that bad after all
      • Dave C topic branches might help
    • CDT preparing some scripts for migration - planning to publish them, will allow others to look at

General Topics

  • Updating to Latest Version of Libs
    • Not much happened since bug was opened
    • RH / Fedora trying to ship one (latest) version of each lib only, in order to get security fixes etc
    • Eg some projects ship old libs even if newer ones are in Orbit like JSch
    • Pascal: A timing problem .. need lib by M6 timeframe latest to get into release train
    • zx thinks about some automated process to make people aware .. in general people are OK upgrading when aware
    • A Registry of "who's using what from Orbit" would be a good thing .. information should be in ipzilla
      • Example: If creating a new IP-Bug to ship a library, should CC projects already shipping that lib
    • Should probably have a phase during the annual release in which 3rd party libs are considered (1st quarter of dev cycle .. jan latest)
      • Mostly just small updates ... few brand new things
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
    • Just a question of "tag before" or "tag after"
    • OK to go ahead and close it - other more important things going on - don't feel to fight that battle now
  • PDE Visualizer - displays dependencies between bundles - not touched currently

Old Topics

  • Pascal's bug 331385 naming conventions for p2 Repos - no time for this at the moment

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting