Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/March 14 2013"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(6 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 30: Line 30:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
| Brian Payton
+
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
| Linda Chan
+
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br>Sven Efftinge<br>Eike Stepper
+
| Eike Stepper
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| Christian Campo
 
| Christian Campo
| Tom Watson<br>Doug Clarke<br>Ian Bull
+
| Tom Watson<br>Ian Bull
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
| Marc Dutoo<br>Sebastien Gandon
+
| Marc Dutoo
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
| Wayne Beaton
+
| <strike>Wayne Beaton</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''  
 
| '''Tools:'''  
Line 67: Line 67:
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| Chuck Bridgham
 
| Chuck Bridgham
| Dave Carver<br>Neil Hauge
+
| Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
 
===All Attendees===
 
===All Attendees===
  
* '''Regrets:'''  Gunnar Wagenknecht
 
  
Dave Williams, Doug Schaefer, Andrew Overholt, Christian Campo, Ian Bull, Ed Merks, John Arthorne, Chuck Bridgham, Michael Scharf, Neil Hauge, Martin O, Tom Watson, Steffen Pingel, Achim Loerke
+
* '''Signed-Up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Marc Dutoo, Neil Hauge, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson, David Williams
 
+
* '''Regrets:''' Wayne Beaton, Benjamin Cabé, Doug Clarke, Brian Payton, Gunnar Wagenknecht
<!--
+
* '''No-Show:''' Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Mike Wilson, Krum Tsvetkov
* '''Signed-Up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson
+
* '''Regrets:''' Martin O., Christian Campo, Sebastien Gandon, Andrew Overholt
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Achim Loerke, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Krum Tsvetkov
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
Line 96: Line 91:
  
 
* Martin: '''EclipseCon 2013 AC Meeting'''
 
* Martin: '''EclipseCon 2013 AC Meeting'''
** Sunday all-hands + Breakfast [Tuesday]
+
** Sunday all-hands + Breakfast ('''AI Martin''' schedule for Tuesday)
 +
 
 +
* Martin: {{bug|397896}} EPP classic package
  
 
==== How To Contribute Docs ====
 
==== How To Contribute Docs ====
Line 104: Line 101:
 
** Martin suggestion: Add 1 link "AC Recommendations" to the [[Development Resources]]
 
** Martin suggestion: Add 1 link "AC Recommendations" to the [[Development Resources]]
  
* Martin: {{bug|397896}} EPP classic package
+
* '''AI All''' Review the [[Architecture_Council/Contributor Guide Recommendation]] and improve it in the Wiki or comment on the bug
 +
* '''AI Martin''' Ask Wayne to link against the [[Development Resources]]
  
* Martin: {{bug|358968}} Policy for configuring Logging systems (like slf4j, commons logging, ...) in Eclipse
+
==== Logging Policy ====
 +
* Martin: {{bug|358968}} Policy for configuring Logging systems (like slf4j, commons logging, log4j, logback, ...) in Eclipse
 
** Mylyn disables commons logging
 
** Mylyn disables commons logging
** m2e configures logback as null logger for similar reasons
+
** {{bug|400027}} m2e configures logback as null logger for similar reasons;
 
** Handle on EPP level ?
 
** Handle on EPP level ?
 
** Martin: OK with plugins (like Mylyn) disabling logging of downstream components by default;
 
** Martin: OK with plugins (like Mylyn) disabling logging of downstream components by default;
Line 122: Line 121:
 
**** Those would have to live in Orbit, since logging impls live in Orbit ...
 
**** Those would have to live in Orbit, since logging impls live in Orbit ...
  
=== LTS Updates ===
+
'''AI Steffen''' comment on the bug with proposed resolution + idea to provide default implementations for disabling
 +
 
 +
==== LTS Updates ====
 
* Martin: LTS updates - see [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/lts-iwg/msg00059.html this message], interesting information in the thread
 
* Martin: LTS updates - see [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/lts-iwg/msg00059.html this message], interesting information in the thread
 
** John: How would version numbers work in LTS ?
 
** John: How would version numbers work in LTS ?
 
** Company's own branches vs canonical branch ?
 
** Company's own branches vs canonical branch ?
** Level of testing - how are decisions made what changes flow back into the command branch ?
+
** Level of testing - how are decisions made what changes flow back into the common branch ?
 
** Last Econ's LTS meeting was very introductory and didn't go as deep as we'd like ... maybe schedule a BoF for a follow-up meeting
 
** Last Econ's LTS meeting was very introductory and didn't go as deep as we'd like ... maybe schedule a BoF for a follow-up meeting
 
** Unsure about current state ... there's now lts.eclipse.org, but are there even build machines
 
** Unsure about current state ... there's now lts.eclipse.org, but are there even build machines
Line 134: Line 135:
 
** Publish notes of details, might get potentially interested companies more interested
 
** Publish notes of details, might get potentially interested companies more interested
  
 +
'''AI Martin''' Point Andrew Ross to these questions
  
 +
==== e4 API Graduation ====
 
* Any other notices for M6 / EclipseCon ?
 
* Any other notices for M6 / EclipseCon ?
 
** John: Eclipse Platform 4 is finalizing new e4 API and it's going into M6
 
** John: Eclipse Platform 4 is finalizing new e4 API and it's going into M6
Line 141: Line 144:
 
*** Report feedback or gaps; internals you're using that didn't make it into API; there's still some (but limited time!)
 
*** Report feedback or gaps; internals you're using that didn't make it into API; there's still some (but limited time!)
 
*** Most e4 API unchanged compared to Juno - mostly cleanup and docs only, removed / broke / changed things only where absolutely necessary. Therefore, an e4 application that's built against Kepler should typically run on Juno too !
 
*** Most e4 API unchanged compared to Juno - mostly cleanup and docs only, removed / broke / changed things only where absolutely necessary. Therefore, an e4 application that's built against Kepler should typically run on Juno too !
 
 
* John / Wayne : '''Process Diet'''
 
** Project Management Infrastructure
 
** {{bug|401236}} CLA's and git signed-off-by
 
  
  
Line 157: Line 155:
 
*** Github: Pulling contributions; external contributions
 
*** Github: Pulling contributions; external contributions
 
**** Martin: Fork granularity - what if I want to fork a single plugin only, do I have to fork the whole repo ?
 
**** Martin: Fork granularity - what if I want to fork a single plugin only, do I have to fork the whole repo ?
***** John: Maintaining the fork is much easier by forking the repo (rebase and keep up-to-date)
+
***** Tom: Maintaining the fork is much easier by forking the repo (rebase and keep up-to-date)
 +
***** Use forked repo as a submodule of consumer if desired
  
 
* Ian: Reminder to vote for the Board
 
* Ian: Reminder to vote for the Board
 
  
  
Line 174: Line 172:
  
 
* [[StAC]] meeting: [[StAC_130324_Minutes | Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:00pm @ EclipseCon]]
 
* [[StAC]] meeting: [[StAC_130324_Minutes | Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:00pm @ EclipseCon]]
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/April 9 2013]]
+
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/April 11 2013]]
  
 
[[Category:Architecture_Council_Meeting_Minutes]]
 
[[Category:Architecture_Council_Meeting_Minutes]]

Revision as of 15:32, 14 March 2013

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday March 14, 2013 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1500 London / 1600 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Contents

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • Signed-Up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Marc Dutoo, Neil Hauge, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson, David Williams
  • Regrets: Wayne Beaton, Benjamin Cabé, Doug Clarke, Brian Payton, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • No-Show: Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Mike Wilson, Krum Tsvetkov

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Problems dialing into German access number
  • Martin: EclipseCon 2013 AC Meeting
    • Sunday all-hands + Breakfast (AI Martin schedule for Tuesday)

How To Contribute Docs

  • Krum bug 397644 How to contribute docs, where to host them and how to publish ?
    • Where to make it visible ?
    • Suggestion to add to the PMI, Wayne commented on the bug
    • Martin suggestion: Add 1 link "AC Recommendations" to the Development Resources

Logging Policy

  • Martin: bug 358968 Policy for configuring Logging systems (like slf4j, commons logging, log4j, logback, ...) in Eclipse
    • Mylyn disables commons logging
    • bug 400027 m2e configures logback as null logger for similar reasons;
    • Handle on EPP level ?
    • Martin: OK with plugins (like Mylyn) disabling logging of downstream components by default;
      • Allow re-enabling logging from the outside eg via System Property
      • Document how to re-enable it (eg via System Property / Eclipse.ini
    • Steffen: Became aware that Microsoft had issues with Mylyn disabling logging by default
    • Request is for a standardized way to enable or disable logging
      • Michael: Common Preference ?
    • If a plugin wants logging and another does not, who should win ? - Cannot assign priorities on plugin level
      • Steffen agrees that logging should be disabled by default on plugin level
    • Recommendation:
      • Steffen: Provide common default implementations for disabling logging ?
        • Those would have to live in Orbit, since logging impls live in Orbit ...

AI Steffen comment on the bug with proposed resolution + idea to provide default implementations for disabling

LTS Updates

  • Martin: LTS updates - see this message, interesting information in the thread
    • John: How would version numbers work in LTS ?
    • Company's own branches vs canonical branch ?
    • Level of testing - how are decisions made what changes flow back into the common branch ?
    • Last Econ's LTS meeting was very introductory and didn't go as deep as we'd like ... maybe schedule a BoF for a follow-up meeting
    • Unsure about current state ... there's now lts.eclipse.org, but are there even build machines
    • Martin: As a project lead, I need to know when LTS adopts changes; since my customers might have an LTS stream and I need to know when my own plugins won't work on LTS due to a version conflict
    • John: People in the Field should know some policies
    • Martin: Maybe at least publish the LTS version numbers publicly (while the bits are private)
    • Publish notes of details, might get potentially interested companies more interested

AI Martin Point Andrew Ross to these questions

e4 API Graduation

  • Any other notices for M6 / EclipseCon ?
    • John: Eclipse Platform 4 is finalizing new e4 API and it's going into M6
      • Adopters please review the API and check if it meets your requirements
      • Meant to be a "usable subset" of the full API; some advanced concepts are not graduating yet and remain provisional
      • Report feedback or gaps; internals you're using that didn't make it into API; there's still some (but limited time!)
      • Most e4 API unchanged compared to Juno - mostly cleanup and docs only, removed / broke / changed things only where absolutely necessary. Therefore, an e4 application that's built against Kepler should typically run on Juno too !


General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO
    • Ed: bug 401236 CLA's and git signed-off-by improvements for automatic tracking
    • IP Committee working on some other things that might life easier for committers, but can't talk about details yet
      • 250-line restriction ... and ways around it like splitting into multiple commits
      • Github: Pulling contributions; external contributions
        • Martin: Fork granularity - what if I want to fork a single plugin only, do I have to fork the whole repo ?
          • Tom: Maintaining the fork is much easier by forking the repo (rebase and keep up-to-date)
          • Use forked repo as a submodule of consumer if desired
  • Ian: Reminder to vote for the Board


Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting