Architecture Council/Meetings/March 12 2009
< Architecture Council | Meetings
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday March 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1200 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Fitzpatrick||Linda Chan|
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
- Signed-up: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb (for Karsten Schmidt), Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Mark VandenBrink
- Regrets: Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht
- No-Show: David Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Tim deBoer, Naci Dai, Sven Efftinge, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Mik Kersten, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, David Williams, Darin Wright
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Minutes February 12 2009
- Thanks to Andrew and Wayne for organizing it
- Action Items
- AC Webpage / Wiki: agree that we are done now
- IPZilla discussions: escalate via PMC's only - no need to advertise to committers.
- Wayne: a matter of throtteling input by escalating via PMC/AC only
- Dave Carver send links to Wiki pages which we might want to emulate for the AC Homepage
- Mik to propose a date for demoing the Mylyn "report a bug" feature
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- PMC Representation - Cedric can sit in for Modeling (is in contact with the PMC). Tom can sit in for RT.
- AI Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
- Tools, WTP not represented!
News from the EMO & Councils
- Nothing new
- EclipseCon - AC meeting on Sunday before the conference (Mar 22) afternoon
- StAC meeting 3pm-5pm including the AC, PC and RC; will have Mike Milinkovich (or other Board Reps) there
- This is a big chance to really move forward, we should use it!
- AI Everyone add to agenda on Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 also if you can not come!
- Will use the AC agenda page also for AC input to the StAC meeting
- Let's think about what's hurting Eclipse today, how to move forward, hard questions
- Official Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 from 5pm-6pm
- Items like mentoring which are less relevant to PC and RC; pizza denied unfortunately
- Mylyn Bug Reporting Demo
- Architecture Council/Ask the AC panel:
- AI Panelists review the Architecture Council/Ask the AC Q&A, and discuss on the mailing list if not agree with any answers there
- We can disagree on most content, but we should agree on the basic FAQ - many questions are important for ourselves to understand and answer consistently
- Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119 meeting?
- Boris - no free head at the moment. Wants to write Wiki with thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
- McQ - should look at soon after Eclipsecon. What if the list of supported platforms changes?
- Boris - New Platform UI/Bug Triage (for one of the next meetings), hoping that over time we'll share some best practice
- bug 257706 news on git
- MichaelS: Eclipse integration (Egit) is still problematic - can't get it to work productively
- Markus: EclipseSource organizing a git BOF at EclipseCon on Wednesday evening
- Andrew: Shawn Pearce going to be at Eclipsecon - Egit much needed for Linux communities; perhaps not developing features as rapidly as some would like because of Jgit vs. just relying on command-line tool (but this is required for multi-OS support)
- Bernd: Main developers just doing it in their sparetime - SAP thinking about actively contributing to Egit
- Boris: Apache going to support git (but not as their main repo), because somebody stepped up hosting certain projects in git format. Boris likes "git bisect"
- In Eclipse, checkout using commandline (not with Eclipse integration yet)
- git at Eclipse: Most wanted Community addition by a factor of 5!
- Biggest blocker is IP clearance missing for git (no time on IP Legal team to even look at it!)
- 2 Problems: (a) distributed nature leads to problems if genie is set loose
- (b) Overhead of managing multiple repositories ... but that's only second order problem
- We need a Doc package collecting information and arguments, but who could create it?
- Martin thinks the biggest problem is that people discuss it who haven't really looked at it...
- In favor of collecting experience and technical knowledge by hybrid approach first (CVS master + git children remote)
- Martin is unsure about pros and cons of hybrid approach (cvs+git) vs git native at Eclipse.org
- How to move forward: Use Public channels to collect facts, procedures, best practices - see Git for Committers
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- (old) Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
- Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
- AC Panelists review the Architecture Council/Ask the AC Q&A wiki
- Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 agenda
- Indicate attendance if you plan to come