Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/March 12 2009"

(New Topics)
m (New Topics)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DSDP:'''
 
| '''DSDP:'''
| Doug Gaff
+
| <strike>Doug Gaff</strike>
 
| Martin Oberhuber
 
| Martin Oberhuber
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Philippe Mulet
+
| <strike>Philippe Mulet</strike>
 
| Mike Wilson
 
| Mike Wilson
 
|-
 
|-
Line 56: Line 56:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
| Dave Carver
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike>
 
|}
 
|}
* '''Signed-up:'''
+
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb (for Karsten Schmidt), Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Mark VandenBrink
* '''Regrets:'''
+
* '''Regrets:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht
* '''No-Show:'''
+
* '''No-Show:''' David Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Tim deBoer, Naci Dai, Sven Efftinge, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Mik Kersten, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, David Williams, Darin Wright
 +
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 69: Line 70:
 
* [[Architecture Council/Minutes February 12 2009]]
 
* [[Architecture Council/Minutes February 12 2009]]
 
** Thanks to Andrew and Wayne for organizing it
 
** Thanks to Andrew and Wayne for organizing it
** AC Wiki: aren't we done?
+
* '''Action Items'''
** IPZilla discussions: escalate via PMC's only - Wayne: a matter of throtteling input by escalating via PMC/AC only
+
** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] AC Webpage / Wiki: agree that we are done now
 
+
** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] IPZilla discussions: escalate via PMC's only - no need to advertise to committers.
* Action Items
+
*** Wayne: a matter of throtteling input by escalating via PMC/AC only
* [Image:Ok_green.gif] '''Dave Carver''' send links to Wiki pages which we might want to emulate for the AC Homepage
+
** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Dave Carver''' send links to Wiki pages which we might want to emulate for the AC Homepage
* [Image:Ok_green.gif] '''Mik''' to propose a date for demoing the Mylyn "report a bug" feature
+
** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Mik''' to propose a date for demoing the Mylyn "report a bug" feature
 
+
** Still open items moved to [[#Action Items]]
 
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
+
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
+
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
+
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
+
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list (committed until end January)
+
* (''old'') '''All PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects ask for a mentor (by [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community&component=Architecture%20Council filing an AC bug])
+
* '''Everyone''' review/edit the various [[Architecture Council]] wiki pages, particularly the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Panel/FAQ and [[Architecture Council/Links Collection]]. Add questions to the FAQ.
+
* New [http://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:Architecture_Council Category markup] allows us to tag other (non-AC) pages such that they show up under AC
+
** Better organize the AC homepage: collect feedback... '''AI Dave''' send links to other Wiki pages for review to check which ones we might want to emulate, also, everyone can make suggestions / create mock-up pages for review.
+
* Still open items moved to [[#Action Items]]
+
  
 
=== Administrative ===
 
=== Administrative ===
* '''PMC Representation''' on the AC - backup delegates, 1 attendee required
+
* '''PMC Representation''' - Cedric can sit in for Modeling (is in contact with the PMC). Tom can sit in for RT.
** Backup still required for Tools PMC
+
** '''AI Cedric, Tom''' talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
** Modeling: Cedric  
+
* Tools, WTP not represented!
  
 
=== News from the EMO & Councils ===
 
=== News from the EMO & Councils ===
* Anything?
+
* Nothing new
  
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
 
* '''EclipseCon''' - AC meeting on Sunday before the conference (Mar 22) afternoon
 
* '''EclipseCon''' - AC meeting on Sunday before the conference (Mar 22) afternoon
** Proposed StAC meeting 3pm-5pm including the AC, PC and RC; but we have some topics (like mentorship) not so interesting for the other councils
+
** StAC meeting 3pm-5pm including the AC, PC and RC; will have Mike Milinkovich (or other Board Reps) there
*** This is a big chance to really move forward
+
** This is a big chance to really move forward, we should use it!
*** '''AI Everyone''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
+
*** '''AI Everyone''' add to agenda on [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] also if you can not come!
 +
*** Will use the AC agenda page also for AC input to the StAC meeting
 +
*** Let's think about what's hurting Eclipse today, how to move forward, hard questions
 +
** Official [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] from 5pm-6pm
 +
*** Items like mentoring which are less relevant to PC and RC; pizza denied unfortunately
 +
*** Mylyn Bug Reporting Demo
  
** Official [Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] from 5pm-6pm, unofficial afterwards (Program Committee get-together after 6pm); want to have pizza dinner
+
* [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] panel:
 +
** '''AI Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A, and discuss on the mailing list if not agree with any answers there
 +
** We can disagree on most content, but we should agree on the basic FAQ - many questions are important for ourselves to understand and answer consistently
  
** [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Panel: many questions are important for ourselves to understand and answer consistently
 
*** '''AI Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
 
  
** Mylyn Bug Reporting Demo
+
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119]] meeting?
 
+
* McQ, Boris, Dave Williams, etc. - can you provide a short re-cap of the [[Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119]] meeting?
+
 
** Boris - no free head at the moment. Wants to write Wiki with thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
 
** Boris - no free head at the moment. Wants to write Wiki with thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
 
** McQ - should look at soon after Eclipsecon. What if the list of supported platforms changes?
 
** McQ - should look at soon after Eclipsecon. What if the list of supported platforms changes?
Line 116: Line 108:
 
* Boris - New [[Platform UI/Bug Triage]] (for one of the next meetings), hoping that over time we'll share some best practice
 
* Boris - New [[Platform UI/Bug Triage]] (for one of the next meetings), hoping that over time we'll share some best practice
  
* {{bug|257706}} news on git
+
* '''{{bug|257706}} news on git'''
 
** MichaelS: Eclipse integration (Egit) is still problematic - can't get it to work productively
 
** MichaelS: Eclipse integration (Egit) is still problematic - can't get it to work productively
** Markus: EclipseSource organizing a git BOF
+
** Markus: EclipseSource organizing a [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2009/sessions?id=776 git BOF at EclipseCon] on Wednesday evening
 
** Andrew: Shawn Pearce going to be at Eclipsecon - Egit much needed for Linux communities; perhaps not developing features as rapidly as some would like because of Jgit vs. just relying on command-line tool (but this is required for multi-OS support)
 
** Andrew: Shawn Pearce going to be at Eclipsecon - Egit much needed for Linux communities; perhaps not developing features as rapidly as some would like because of Jgit vs. just relying on command-line tool (but this is required for multi-OS support)
 
** Bernd: Main developers just doing it in their sparetime - SAP thinking about actively contributing to Egit
 
** Bernd: Main developers just doing it in their sparetime - SAP thinking about actively contributing to Egit
Line 124: Line 116:
 
*** In Eclipse, checkout using commandline (not with Eclipse integration yet)
 
*** In Eclipse, checkout using commandline (not with Eclipse integration yet)
 
** git at Eclipse: Most wanted Community addition by a factor of 5!
 
** git at Eclipse: Most wanted Community addition by a factor of 5!
*** IP clearance missing for git (no time on IP Legal team to even look at it!)
+
*** Biggest blocker is IP clearance missing for git (no time on IP Legal team to even look at it!)
 
*** 2 Problems: (a) distributed nature leads to problems if genie is set loose
 
*** 2 Problems: (a) distributed nature leads to problems if genie is set loose
*** Overhead of managing multiple repositories ... but that's only second order problem
+
*** (b) Overhead of managing multiple repositories ... but that's only second order problem
 
*** We need a Doc package collecting information and arguments, but who could create it?
 
*** We need a Doc package collecting information and arguments, but who could create it?
 +
** Martin thinks the biggest problem is that people discuss it who haven't really looked at it...
 +
*** In favor of collecting experience and technical knowledge by hybrid approach first (CVS master + git children remote)
 
*** Martin is unsure about pros and cons of hybrid approach (cvs+git) vs git native at Eclipse.org
 
*** Martin is unsure about pros and cons of hybrid approach (cvs+git) vs git native at Eclipse.org
** How to move forward: Use Public channels to collect facts, procedures, best practices
+
** How to move forward: Use '''Public channels to collect facts, procedures, best practices''' - see [[Git for Committers]]
  
 
=== Old items ===
 
=== Old items ===
Line 136: Line 130:
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 +
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
 +
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
 +
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 +
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
 +
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
 +
* '''Cedric, Tom''' talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
 
* '''AC Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
 
* '''AC Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
 
* '''Everyone''' add to the [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] agenda
 
* '''Everyone''' add to the [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] agenda
 +
** Indicate attendance if you plan to come
  
  

Latest revision as of 02:30, 13 March 2009

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday March 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1200 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Attendees

  • Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick Linda Chan
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Philippe Mulet Mike Wilson
Modeling: Richard Gronback Cedric Brun Ed Merks
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson Jochen Krause
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb (for Karsten Schmidt), Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Mark VandenBrink
  • Regrets: Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • No-Show: David Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Tim deBoer, Naci Dai, Sven Efftinge, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Mik Kersten, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, David Williams, Darin Wright


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

  • Architecture Council/Minutes February 12 2009
    • Thanks to Andrew and Wayne for organizing it
  • Action Items
    • Ok green.gif AC Webpage / Wiki: agree that we are done now
    • Ok green.gif IPZilla discussions: escalate via PMC's only - no need to advertise to committers.
      • Wayne: a matter of throtteling input by escalating via PMC/AC only
    • Ok green.gif Dave Carver send links to Wiki pages which we might want to emulate for the AC Homepage
    • Ok green.gif Mik to propose a date for demoing the Mylyn "report a bug" feature
    • Still open items moved to #Action Items

Administrative

  • PMC Representation - Cedric can sit in for Modeling (is in contact with the PMC). Tom can sit in for RT.
    • AI Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
  • Tools, WTP not represented!

News from the EMO & Councils

  • Nothing new

New Topics

  • EclipseCon - AC meeting on Sunday before the conference (Mar 22) afternoon
    • StAC meeting 3pm-5pm including the AC, PC and RC; will have Mike Milinkovich (or other Board Reps) there
    • This is a big chance to really move forward, we should use it!
    • Official Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 from 5pm-6pm
      • Items like mentoring which are less relevant to PC and RC; pizza denied unfortunately
      • Mylyn Bug Reporting Demo
  • Architecture Council/Ask the AC panel:
    • AI Panelists review the Architecture Council/Ask the AC Q&A, and discuss on the mailing list if not agree with any answers there
    • We can disagree on most content, but we should agree on the basic FAQ - many questions are important for ourselves to understand and answer consistently


  • Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119 meeting?
    • Boris - no free head at the moment. Wants to write Wiki with thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
    • McQ - should look at soon after Eclipsecon. What if the list of supported platforms changes?
  • Boris - New Platform UI/Bug Triage (for one of the next meetings), hoping that over time we'll share some best practice
  • bug 257706 news on git
    • MichaelS: Eclipse integration (Egit) is still problematic - can't get it to work productively
    • Markus: EclipseSource organizing a git BOF at EclipseCon on Wednesday evening
    • Andrew: Shawn Pearce going to be at Eclipsecon - Egit much needed for Linux communities; perhaps not developing features as rapidly as some would like because of Jgit vs. just relying on command-line tool (but this is required for multi-OS support)
    • Bernd: Main developers just doing it in their sparetime - SAP thinking about actively contributing to Egit
    • Boris: Apache going to support git (but not as their main repo), because somebody stepped up hosting certain projects in git format. Boris likes "git bisect"
      • In Eclipse, checkout using commandline (not with Eclipse integration yet)
    • git at Eclipse: Most wanted Community addition by a factor of 5!
      • Biggest blocker is IP clearance missing for git (no time on IP Legal team to even look at it!)
      • 2 Problems: (a) distributed nature leads to problems if genie is set loose
      • (b) Overhead of managing multiple repositories ... but that's only second order problem
      • We need a Doc package collecting information and arguments, but who could create it?
    • Martin thinks the biggest problem is that people discuss it who haven't really looked at it...
      • In favor of collecting experience and technical knowledge by hybrid approach first (CVS master + git children remote)
      • Martin is unsure about pros and cons of hybrid approach (cvs+git) vs git native at Eclipse.org
    • How to move forward: Use Public channels to collect facts, procedures, best practices - see Git for Committers

Old items

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
  • Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
  • AC Panelists review the Architecture Council/Ask the AC Q&A wiki
  • Everyone add to the Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009 agenda
    • Indicate attendance if you plan to come


Next Meeting