Architecture Council/Meetings/March 11 2010

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday March 11, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Contents

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber TBD (DSDP-PMC)
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Joanna Kubasta (unofficial)
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Darin Swanson (China time zone)
  • No-Show: Nick Boldt, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Oisin Hurley, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Oliver Wolf


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Platform tracing API
    • Did not get as complete as hoped for. Too late of a discussion for 3.6 :(
    • API is there but formatting output is too verbose for simple debugging output
    • For now, recommendation should just be to put tracing into a single plugin such that it's easy to switch
    • AI Tim to send simple instructions and bugzilla for discussion.
  • Tom S Common Builder Cookbook?
  • Wayne: Swap CVS for Git on NPPR (New Project Provisioning Request Form)
    • CVS going to be deprecated first? 2-year period in which CVS will be phased out, svn to remain a bit longer
    • Mik in favor of dropping svn first - AI Wayne take this back to the webmaster
    • Dave C: svn to git is easier than cvs to git
    • Andrew O think the reason for deprecating CVS first was some CVS bug that's not going to be fixed
    • Swap svn for git on new projects?
    • McQ thinks that new projects should not be presented any option at all. Move all to git as soon as the tooling is good enough. Is it good enough yet?
    • Dave C: Only way getting git improved is if people have to use it
    • Wayne: a quarter of 12 new eclipse projects have selected git as their cm system anyways
    • Compromise: Add git to the NPPR and add wording that cvs and svn are going to be deprecated. Avoid imposing undue burden.
    • egit missing features: cannot accept incoming changes. Boris filed bugs and contacted people. They are working on it, but everything takes time
  • Wayne: Revision of the Development Process
    • AI Wayne send hyperlink to the new document + a delta and ask for feedback from the AC until Monday of Eclipsecon
    • There should be no surprises, just some clarifications - 3 interesting news:
      • 1. Remove the notion of "container" vs "operating project", we will just have "projects". Even containers can have code. One group of committers map to a single UNIX group per project.
      • 2. Formalization of the notion of an "incubator project" as a place where they can grow code and committers. It's an incubator if you call it that. There has to be some overlap between parent project and the incubator. Simpler creation by loophole: Incubators to not require a 3-week period before creation.
      • 3. Make restructuring easier - no lengthy creation process as long as new project is a subset of original one. Just provision. More community consultation for "scope change".
    • Chris A: Shortening the new committer process? Eg Orbit requires 7 days... AI Martin/Wayne schedule for next call


  • Mik Mylyn Product Restructuring
    • Several subprojects. Reference implementations only for opensource servers or open standards
    • Version numbers of child projects will be independent, but there is still one repo to get everything from.
    • Some projects decoupled from Eclipse SDK, can do server-side through RT only
    • Added releng overhead? - Will be handled by Cloudsmith. Will try keeping builds on Eclipse infrastructure.
    • FYI, to relay this info to mentored projects in case they depend on some mylyn stuff.
    • Will accept input for 30 more days


EclipseCon meeting

  • There will be a Planning Council meeting on Sunday at 2pm, StAC at 3pm. Want an AC one?
    • Don agenda?
    • Agree on an AC BoF.
  • Preparation for AC Panel?
    • AI Martin call panelists to meet and discuss topics and how to proceed

e4 - current state of affairs

  • McQ: Some nice stuff to show, including the robot competition
    • What will we have for 1.0? - Was considering move of the delivery date, but confident to have all 3.x SDK running on the new codebase by July
    • Looking forward to e4 presentations at Eclipsecon

Items for next meeting

Regular briefing on the status of e4.

Old Topics

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
  • The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • Tim to send pointers for Platform Tracing API
  • Martin to ask EMO turn on "autocontinuation" feature for the conference bridge (avoid participants drop from the call when moderator drops), or allow multiple moderators
  • Martin contact AC panelists for Eclipsecon to schedule preparation meeting

Next Meeting