Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/March 10 2011"

m (New Topics)
m (New Topics)
Line 81: Line 81:
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
  
* Kim - I contributed a chapter on Eclipse to the upcoming  [http://third-bit.com/blog/archives/3847.html Architecture of Open Source applications] book.  The book is in the final stages of editing, and the editor, Greg Wilson, is looking for people to review the beta of the book, and provide feedback and quotes.  The book has 24 chapters and each chapter focuses on the architecture of an application produced by different open source project - for instance, Apache Hadoop, Drupal, NoSQL etc.  If you are interested in reviewing the beta, let me know and I can send you the information.
+
* Kim: I contributed a chapter on Eclipse to the upcoming  [http://third-bit.com/blog/archives/3847.html Architecture of Open Source applications] book.  The book is in the final stages of editing, and the editor, Greg Wilson, is looking for people to review the beta of the book, and provide feedback and quotes.  The book has 24 chapters and each chapter focuses on the architecture of an application produced by different open source project - for instance, Apache Hadoop, Drupal, NoSQL etc.  If you are interested in reviewing the beta, let me know and I can send you the information.
  
 
==== Maven @ Eclipse progress ====
 
==== Maven @ Eclipse progress ====

Revision as of 09:21, 10 March 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday March 10, 2011 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Kim: I contributed a chapter on Eclipse to the upcoming Architecture of Open Source applications book. The book is in the final stages of editing, and the editor, Greg Wilson, is looking for people to review the beta of the book, and provide feedback and quotes. The book has 24 chapters and each chapter focuses on the architecture of an application produced by different open source project - for instance, Apache Hadoop, Drupal, NoSQL etc. If you are interested in reviewing the beta, let me know and I can send you the information.

Maven @ Eclipse progress

  • Wayne: Building with Tycho
    • Wayne: been doing Tycho, got help from Jetty for pack200 + sign via Maven plugin (Chris does it manually; Pascal doesn't sign, want to use Jetty's plugin)
    • We should provide a Guide for the Eclipse.org community to help them set up their builds
    • AI Pascal provide a pointer to what's available for pack200 + sign

Updating to latest version of a lib

  • Andrew: Versions of non-eclipse.org dependencies

General Topics

  • Introducing new members: Christian Campo (Appointed) and Steffen Pingel (Mylyn)
    • Steffen has been appointed as the representative of the new Mylyn top level project.
    • Christian Campo of compeople - lead of the Riena project; also committer on Windowbuilder, Examples project, SWT (for the Qt port)
  • Pascal's bug 331385 naming conventions for p2 Repos
    • No progress so far, continue discussion on the bug
  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
  • Security Vulnerabilities
  • Eclipsecon

e4 - current state of affairs

Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
    • Martin in touch with Nick and Henrik
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices

Action Items

  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2 Chris A did this.
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems

Next Meeting