Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/June 9 2011"

(New Topics)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| Cédric Brun<br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| Jeff McAffer
 
| Jeff McAffer
| Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Antoine Toulme
+
| <strike>Antoine Toulme</strike>
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
Line 52: Line 52:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''TPTP:'''
 
| '''TPTP:'''
| Jonathan West
+
| <strike>Jonathan West</strike>
 
|  
 
|  
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| Chuck Bridgham
 
| Chuck Bridgham
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Gary Xue
  
* John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Gary Xue
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Tom Watson (OSGi meeting conflict)
  
<!--
+
* '''No-Show:''' Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Jonathan West, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Martin O, Brian Payton, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Steffen Pingel, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Gary Xue
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
+
* '''No-Show:''' Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Eugene Chan, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Tom Watson, Jonathan West, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 109: Line 105:
 
** Orion;
 
** Orion;
 
** Suggestion to send an e-mail to cross-project
 
** Suggestion to send an e-mail to cross-project
 +
** John has started a list at [[Architecture Council/Web Technology Survey]]
  
 
* Wayne: '''Security Policy''' - looking for further input; disclosure is most controversial, and propagation of fixes
 
* Wayne: '''Security Policy''' - looking for further input; disclosure is most controversial, and propagation of fixes
 
** Wayne has 2 volunteers to help
 
** Wayne has 2 volunteers to help
 
** Policy will be fluid sine not voted on by the board... current version similar to Apache policy
 
** Policy will be fluid sine not voted on by the board... current version similar to Apache policy
 
=== General Topics ===
 
* Updates from the Board
 
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
 
** zx: '''signing and publishing''' making some progress, will hopefully have some code by next call, for signing and publishing via Maven / Tycho
 
** {{bug|339915}} Parent POM - not yet, zx working on a draft to send out .. signing would inherit from Parent
 
** {{bug|288644}} name spaces / group ID for Maven artifacts - Dave Carver suggests org.eclipse.jdt etc as group ID, corresponding to projects
 
** Other related bugs {{bug|283745}} and {{bug|337068}}
 
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
* Henrik Lindberg ESE proceedings are now online [[WhatIsInABuildESE2010]]
 
** '''AI zx''' Create Indigo report
 
 
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
 
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
 
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
 
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
 
 
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
 
 
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
 
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
 
 
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
 
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
 
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
 
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
Line 146: Line 117:
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 +
* '''Wayne''' {{bug|347882}} "Improve Repository Reports" follow-up with Dash
 +
* '''Kim''' initial repository for builds guidelines
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==

Latest revision as of 13:46, 9 June 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday June 9, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Tom Watson (OSGi meeting conflict)
  • No-Show: Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Jonathan West, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Andrew O: How to get rid of last minute nags for the Release Train (eg run reports more often)
    • Step 1 - Progress this year is having the reports run on the build machine (bit late but still very helpful)
    • Step 2 - projects should incorporate tests into their own builds
    • bug 347882 "Improve Repository Reports" should belong into Dash project
    • Maybe via Maven / Eclipse toplevel POM
    • Wayne's direction would be an automated "release record" independent of the review docs, maybe via Tycho
  • Gunnar / Kim - Reproducability of builds related to p2 milestone repo's consumed from upstream projects
    • Pascal - use a redirect instead of physically moving bits around?
    • Jeff - related to retention policy, whoever needs a repo for later reproducing needs to copy / mirror it. Eg retain last 2 rc's
    • Martin - more related to stable location of a repo than stable content of a repo ... reproducing builds against an RC is less interesting than against the release
    • David W - concerned about building against a staging repo
    • Pascal, Jeff - projects to start producing their own "release repositories" and publish them early... RC's to go into the release repo, release repo with "forever" retention policy but not publish to end users early
    • David W - part of that can be accomplished with composite repositories
    • Publish recommendation to publish stable URL early -- AC to provide Documented Best Practice
      • David W: Similar to recommendation to produce archived repos ... stronger premise for reproducable builds (ie download dependents)
      • Recommendation may be an ongoing discussion, since p2 was designed for installing more than for building
      • John A: Recommend copying anything released into archive.eclipse.org immediately in order to ensure durability (non-mirrored)
      • Wayne: Use Denis' download script as the durable URL
      • AI Kim start an initial write-up for recommendations
  • John A: Web UI's - any other projects doing web UI's ?
    • BIRT has some javascript; RAP; Hudson;
    • EMF has GWT support (auto-generates Web UI's from a model)
    • zx: Gyrex; Virgo
    • zx: skalli using vadem;
    • Nuxeo
    • Orion;
    • Suggestion to send an e-mail to cross-project
    • John has started a list at Architecture Council/Web Technology Survey
  • Wayne: Security Policy - looking for further input; disclosure is most controversial, and propagation of fixes
    • Wayne has 2 volunteers to help
    • Policy will be fluid sine not voted on by the board... current version similar to Apache policy

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Wayne bug 347882 "Improve Repository Reports" follow-up with Dash
  • Kim initial repository for builds guidelines

Next Meeting