Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/June 14 2012

< Architecture Council‎ | Meetings
Revision as of 11:57, 14 June 2012 by (Talk | contribs) (Attendees)

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday June 14, 2012 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call, then enter pin 51968.


All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)

  • Signed-up: Markus Knauer, Mark Duto (SOA, replacing Adrian Mos), Christian Campo, Doug Schaefer, Steffen Pingel, John Arthorne, Martin O, Wayne Beaton, Igor Fedorenko, Kim Moir, Linda Chan

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Improving IP process (John A)

  • Part of John's engagement as committer rep on the board
    • bug 381105 How to improve the process for contributors doing just a one-line fix
      • Today, 3 statements are needed on bugzilla (wrote myself, did not reference other code, have the right to contribute)
      • We now have bugzilla, and gerrit
    • "signed-off-by" Field in git commit: contributor confirms to the 3 statements
      • Concern: How to ensure the 3 statements have actually been read and understood? Better Web Interface for contribution ?
      • Idea: Adding 3 statements into the commit message - having to type the text is better than just signing off on something unknown
  • Example: Google Summer of Code Student
    • Multiple / Frequent contributions
    • Wayne: Why not clone the git repo, work in the clone, then contribute all in one ? (Want to test in between)

Logging and third party libraries (John A)

  • 2 areas, (a) error loging, (b) tracing.
    • Some 3rd parties use slf4j, logback, ...
    • Igor: slf4j (or its configuration) should be part of the Platform
      • Today, projects (like m2e) have to ship a logging configuration, but that may conflict with others trying the same
      • logback seems to be the most common configuration
      • There should be a way allowing projects contribute to the configuration
    • bug 358968 - suggestion to link other bugs from that bug
    • Logback implementation not really designed for OSGi ?
  • Martin: Related discussion - Eclipse Standard tracing API's (brought up by Tim a while back)
    • John: Eclipse Platform added dynamic tracing API like 2 years ago (dynamically turn on/off tracing, new Prefpage for users as of Juno)
    • Igor: slf4j is not a logging framework - just a thin adaption layer; logback is one particular back-end
    • What API's being used is not so much of an issue - the question is how to properly wire up back-ends

General Topics

  • Juno: Wayne: Related to Juno, a number of things that people apparently don't know ... how to properly educate ?
    • Will send out E-Mail later
    • Push back any projects into incubation? - Might approach AC mentors (just a heads up)
    • Lots of things that projects need to do - much documentation that people don't like to read
      • Some hope in CBI auto-detecting missing pieces as part of the build
      • Or take another iteration for docs improvement
    • Mentorship experience ... hard to be pro-active with projects, typically wait for project to ask
  • CBI/Platform build
    • Currently working on native bits - today, standard Platform build must run first, then CBI can pick up the bits
    • SWT can now compile native
  • git, gerrit, maven, hudson
    • No updates

Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get something downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exempt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Martin contact / propose potential new AC members

Next Meeting

Back to the top