Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/June 14 2012"

(Attendees)
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 34: Line 34:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
+
| Brian Payton
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
+
| Linda Chan
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
Line 46: Line 46:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
| <strike>Steffen Pingel</strike>
+
| Steffen Pingel
 
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 54: Line 54:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
+
| Mark Duto for <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
 
| <strike>Sebastien Gandon</strike>
 
| <strike>Sebastien Gandon</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
Line 66: Line 66:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
| Chuck Bridgham  
+
| <strike>Chuck Bridgham</strike>
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br><strike>Neil Hauge</strike>
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
*'''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
+
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Mark Duto (SOA, replacing Adrian Mos), Igor Fedorenko, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer
 
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Sebastien Gandon, Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Achim Loerke, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt
<!--
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Martin O, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Steffen Pingel, Andrew Overholt, David Williams
+
* '''Regrets:''' Cédric Brun, Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Sebastien Gandon, Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Achim Lörke, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer,  
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Doug Clarke, Igor Fedorenko, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Pascal Rapicault, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
  
*'''Feel free to edit, but <font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
+
* '''Feel free to edit, but <font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
  
 
=== Review of Last Meeting  ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting  ===
Line 89: Line 85:
 
=== New Topics  ===
 
=== New Topics  ===
  
 +
==== Improving IP process (John A) ====
 +
* Part of John's engagement as committer rep on the board
 +
** {{bug|381105}} How to improve the process for contributors doing just a one-line fix
 +
*** Today, 3 statements are needed on bugzilla (wrote myself, did not reference other code, have the right to contribute)
 +
*** We now have bugzilla, and gerrit
 +
** "signed-off-by" Field in git commit: contributor confirms to the 3 statements
 +
*** Concern: How to ensure the 3 statements have actually been read and understood? Better Web Interface for contribution ?
 +
*** Idea: Adding 3 statements into the commit message - having to type the text is better than just signing off on something unknown
  
=== General Topics  ===
+
* Example: Google Summer of Code Student
 +
** Multiple / Frequent contributions
 +
** Wayne: Why not clone the git repo, work in the clone, then contribute all in one ? (Want to test in between)
  
*'''Updates from the Board'''
+
==== Logging and third party libraries (John A) ====
* Platform build
+
* 2 areas, (a) error loging, (b) tracing.
* Juno
+
** Some 3rd parties use slf4j, logback, ...
* git, gerrit, maven, hudson
+
** Igor: slf4j (or its configuration) should be part of the Platform
 +
*** Today, projects (like m2e) have to ship a logging configuration, but that may conflict with others trying the same
 +
*** logback seems to be the most common configuration
 +
*** There should be a way allowing projects contribute to the configuration
 +
** {{bug|358968}} - suggestion to link other bugs from that bug
 +
** Logback implementation not really designed for OSGi ?
  
=== Old Topics  ===
+
* Martin: Related discussion - Eclipse Standard tracing API's (brought up by Tim a while back)
 +
** John: Eclipse Platform added dynamic tracing API like 2 years ago (dynamically turn on/off tracing, new Prefpage for users as of Juno)
 +
** Igor: slf4j is not a logging framework - just a thin adaption layer; logback is one particular back-end
 +
** What API's being used is not so much of an issue - the question is how to properly wire up back-ends
  
*Henrik Lindberg ESE proceedings are now online [[WhatIsInABuildESE2010]]
+
=== General Topics  ===
**'''AI zx''' Create Indigo report
+
  
*{{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4&nbsp;?
+
* '''Juno:''' Wayne: Related to Juno, a number of things that people apparently don't know ... how to properly educate ?
*'''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
+
** Will send out E-Mail later
**Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)  
+
** Push back any projects into incubation? - Might approach AC mentors (just a heads up)
***Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
+
** Lots of things that projects need to do - much documentation that people don't like to read
 +
*** Some hope in CBI auto-detecting missing pieces as part of the build
 +
*** Or take another iteration for docs improvement
 +
** Mentorship experience ... hard to be pro-active with projects, typically wait for project to ask
  
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
+
* '''CBI/Platform build'''
 +
** Currently working on native bits - today, standard Platform build must run first, then CBI can pick up the bits
 +
** SWT can now compile native
  
*{{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
+
* '''git, gerrit, maven, hudson'''
 +
** No updates
  
*'''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
+
<!--
*See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
+
*'''Updates from the Board'''  
*News from the EMO and Councils&nbsp;?
+
-->
  
 
== Action Items  ==
 
== Action Items  ==

Latest revision as of 18:06, 14 November 2012

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday June 14, 2012 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Mark Duto for Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Mark Duto (SOA, replacing Adrian Mos), Igor Fedorenko, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Sebastien Gandon, Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Achim Loerke, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Improving IP process (John A)

  • Part of John's engagement as committer rep on the board
    • bug 381105 How to improve the process for contributors doing just a one-line fix
      • Today, 3 statements are needed on bugzilla (wrote myself, did not reference other code, have the right to contribute)
      • We now have bugzilla, and gerrit
    • "signed-off-by" Field in git commit: contributor confirms to the 3 statements
      • Concern: How to ensure the 3 statements have actually been read and understood? Better Web Interface for contribution ?
      • Idea: Adding 3 statements into the commit message - having to type the text is better than just signing off on something unknown
  • Example: Google Summer of Code Student
    • Multiple / Frequent contributions
    • Wayne: Why not clone the git repo, work in the clone, then contribute all in one ? (Want to test in between)

Logging and third party libraries (John A)

  • 2 areas, (a) error loging, (b) tracing.
    • Some 3rd parties use slf4j, logback, ...
    • Igor: slf4j (or its configuration) should be part of the Platform
      • Today, projects (like m2e) have to ship a logging configuration, but that may conflict with others trying the same
      • logback seems to be the most common configuration
      • There should be a way allowing projects contribute to the configuration
    • bug 358968 - suggestion to link other bugs from that bug
    • Logback implementation not really designed for OSGi ?
  • Martin: Related discussion - Eclipse Standard tracing API's (brought up by Tim a while back)
    • John: Eclipse Platform added dynamic tracing API like 2 years ago (dynamically turn on/off tracing, new Prefpage for users as of Juno)
    • Igor: slf4j is not a logging framework - just a thin adaption layer; logback is one particular back-end
    • What API's being used is not so much of an issue - the question is how to properly wire up back-ends

General Topics

  • Juno: Wayne: Related to Juno, a number of things that people apparently don't know ... how to properly educate ?
    • Will send out E-Mail later
    • Push back any projects into incubation? - Might approach AC mentors (just a heads up)
    • Lots of things that projects need to do - much documentation that people don't like to read
      • Some hope in CBI auto-detecting missing pieces as part of the build
      • Or take another iteration for docs improvement
    • Mentorship experience ... hard to be pro-active with projects, typically wait for project to ask
  • CBI/Platform build
    • Currently working on native bits - today, standard Platform build must run first, then CBI can pick up the bits
    • SWT can now compile native
  • git, gerrit, maven, hudson
    • No updates


Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Martin contact / propose potential new AC members

Next Meeting