Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/July 9 2009"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| <strike>Gary Xue</strike>
+
| Gary Xue
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 62: Line 62:
 
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson
 
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson
 
* '''Regrets:''' Doug Gaff (conflict), Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten (traveling), Andrew Overholt (travelling), Mary Ruddy (travelling), Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams (conflict)
 
* '''Regrets:''' Doug Gaff (conflict), Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten (traveling), Andrew Overholt (travelling), Mary Ruddy (travelling), Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams (conflict)
* '''No-Show:'''
+
* '''No-Show:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Wayne Beaton, Cedric Brun, Doug Clarke, Naci Dai, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Markus Knauer, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Darin Wright
 
+
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Cedric Brun, Dave Carver, Sven Efftinge, Brian Fitzpatrick, Doug Gaff, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Dave Williams, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright
+
* '''Regrets:''' Wayne Beaton, John Graham, Wenfeng Li, Ed Merks, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Karsten Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson
+
* '''No-Show:''' Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, David Williams, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 151: Line 145:
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/August 6 2009]]
+
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/August 13 2009]]
  
 
[[Category:Architecture Council Meeting Minutes]]
 
[[Category:Architecture Council Meeting Minutes]]

Latest revision as of 18:25, 11 September 2009

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday July 9, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick Linda Chan
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Philippe Mulet Mike Wilson
Modeling: Richard Gronback Ed Merks
Cédric Brun
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
Tom Watson
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Martin Oberhuber, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson
  • Regrets: Doug Gaff (conflict), Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten (traveling), Andrew Overholt (travelling), Mary Ruddy (travelling), Mark Vandenbrink, David Williams (conflict)
  • No-Show: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Wayne Beaton, Cedric Brun, Doug Clarke, Naci Dai, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Markus Knauer, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Darin Wright

[edit] Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

[edit] Release Naming

  • Release Naming
  • Martin: This is just another incarnation of the "cross-project consistency vs. project individualism"
  • Dave C: Alphabetical naming is more a marketing aspect... not in bundles or features, just on website etc
  • Ed: Where do the names show up (only on web pages etc) e.g. "The Galileo Version of EMF" ... some bundles could even remain unchanged between releases
    • Putting release name into the qualifier is problematic
  • What are the problems we are trying to solve?
    • Chris: Ensure that version numbers are always technical numbers (bundle, feature level)
      • Ed: That's a lot of work for EMF
      • Chris: It's easier than most people think
      • Agree: Promote using API tooling on bundle and feature level
      • AI Chris put together a quick howto, to promote things
      • Martin: most important thing to understand about technical versions is that it's always only about the deltas
  • Sven: Add a common place for putting in the marketing version number (release level)
    • People get stuff from multiple places and want to know whether they are on the latest
    • Users only care about marketing number (in the about dialog) and never care about technical numbers
      • Martin: Make technical numbers less prominent in the about dialog; use the "Build ID" for the marketing number - advantage of build ID (in about.ini) is that it can be changed by a simple re-build without changing any code, and it is prominent in the about dialog
      • DougS: This is a good idea
      • Never mix marketing version(s) with technical version(s)
    • Sven: What about a new Manifest Entry (e.g. "Code Name") in the Bundles
      • We have to educate people how to put the marketing version number in, and Manifest Editor is more logical than the build ID in about.ini
      • Ed: changing code just for changing the version is painful
    • Would we allow bumping the major at the release level even without API breakage?
    • E.g. AspectJ: Adding new language features is a major new functionality even if API is not changed
    • Agree that marketing number (release version) is at the project's discretion
  • Chris: How to talk to people about releases
    • Talk about train names: e.g. "Release n.n for Eclipse Ganymede"
    • What to do about multiple releases in one train cycle?
    • What to do with multiple Platform Streams in 1 year? -- McQ: Platform will make a decision which Stream (3.6 or 4.0 will show up in the train) -- so the train is an interesting distinguisher! - don't solve tomorrow's problems today
    • Could be multiple train names e.g. "AJDT version n.n for Eclipse Ganymede and Helios"
      • Most people know the platform version numbers better than the train code names
    • McQ: Picking up e4 or not will likely be a very organic process...
  • AI Martin create bugzilla bug for continuing the discussion

[edit] Maven

  • Ed: Maven stuff for EMF, Maven Repositories for the Platform etc?
    • Bernd: Big discussion at SAP...
    • Should we have an official Maven Repo at Eclipse?
    • Just a structured file system (at S3 for instance)
    • Just talk to the Maven projects - AI Martin create a bug for the discussion

[edit] Others

  • AC Bugzilla backlog
    • Martin will look through the backlog and comment... request everyone else to look through the backlog too
  • Dave C AC should look at other Agile Principles can be employed (in addition to the Bugzilla practices)
    • Defer to a future call, need Wayne on the call
  • Follow-up on Architecture Council/Bugzilla Best Practices - how to move on?

[edit] Old items

[edit] Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
  • (old) Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • Dave Carver to blog about bugzilla best practices
  • Wayne to E-mail e.o-committers after that

[edit] Next Meeting