Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/July 8 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday July 8, 2010 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber TBD (DSDP-PMC)
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge


  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht (conflicting appointment)
  • No-Show: Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Darin Wright

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

e4 - current state of affairs

  • Boris: Lots of progress, but concerned about rate of change and converging
  • "Eclipse 4.0 SDK Early Adopter Release", planned for Jul 28
    • Goal to allow people test their plugins on top of 4.0 - this is NOT an end user release.
  • Main progress is improved performance for switching views/editors - feels like 3.x now, although more styling work is done
    • Might even be faster than 3.x if styling is disabled
  • Move review next week (just considered as administrative, won't actually move any CVS code) - in prep for release review
  • Planning Council hasn't done any serious discussions yet about release train relationship to 4.0 (there's some ideas though)

Helios Retrospective

  • Dave W / PC
    • + EF made good progress on BZ and CVS performance
    • + People liked the new tracking system (though little late)
    • + Docs for what's required improved
    • + IP Process went well
    • - Project Identity Problem: 39 projects identified themselves, but 52 IP logs, 71 projects in DB
    • - Would like better testing
    • - Streamline +1/+2/+3... series... don't wait until last possible date
  • Martin: Likes release tracker, result (HTML) is valuable, providing tracker infrastructure for non-train
  • Ed: Managing so many modeling projects, the must-haves felt heavyweight - getting 26 alive was hard
    • Processes worked better than in the past, not sure what we could do about that
    • Will push back on must-do's in the future ("are they really essential for a coordinated release")
  • PC / Train Meeting organization:
    • PC has rigid structure; PC meetings (PC reps only, dictated by bylaws) + train meetings (open), should there more open train meetings?
  • Helios / Maven - bug 312656 aggregate repo builder running as "testbed" parallel to main Helios repo for now; test over summer
    • aggregate repo builder is now seen as preferred solution (over dynamic translation with tycho)
  • API Report for all of Helios? API Baseline best practices?
    • Emmanuel ran that a while ago and published it
    • Ideal solution would be having it integrated in the overall build (should not be too hard, but somebody would need to do it)
    • Shouldn't become too big if it's restricted to illegal + internal references
    • AI Chris run another one manually and share results with AC

New Topics

  • Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C not here -> defer to next week
  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
    • Committer Reps got the EMO to make the "Friends of Eclipse" program more transparent (funds, where does the money go... not yet entirely fleshed out)
    • Currently this goes just into the general budget and is said to be expended for bandwidth...
    • Board Meeting Minutes are online available but extremely outdated (last one from Dec 9, 2009!)
    • AI Boris, Ed ask Mike to more frequently publish minutes
    • Much discussion was about longer-term strategy and is thus confidential
  • git
    • CVS close down: there was a discussion about shutting down CVS in a year, but it's not yet been decided
    • Jeff, Kim - closing down CVS is a MAJOR issue, must be done early in a release cycle, and early enough announced
    • zx: egit tooling - shipping 0.8.4 with Helios (not feature-complete in the UI)
      • will ship 0.9 with Helios SR1, should be feature-complete in the UI, no more need to drop to the commandline
      • some projects using git already, but not sure who's using the egit tooling; others want to make the jump (ECF, ...)
      • some people requested use of Gerrit, but Foundation denied (just another server)
    • Dave W: one of the big issues will be integrating git with PDE build
      • zx - fetch factory is the biggest piece, an implementation by the Community exists (though using cmdline, zx would prefer usage of jgit)
      • but tooling usability has priority at the moment
      • Projects who use git as repo use Hudson(for checkout) + Tycho + Maven for building
      • CDT was talking about a local CVS checkout (via gitcvs bridge) + PDE build
  • IP Log discussion - resolution clear on Development Resources/IP Log ?
    • Ed: spending some time with Janet to try eliminating the need for lots of piggyback CQ's to track re-use
    • Parent/child project relationships .. can't exactly remember
    • Jeff: One of the goals is ensuring bill of materials / control if there is a problem; but much of the processes around IP is redundant, propose periodic review of IP processes
      • This review would be a task of the IP Advisory Council, with input from anybody in community (including AC)
      • Ed as committer rep on the IP Advisory council regularly tries to get Janet / Mike review / simplify processes
      • Anybody can file AC bug, or talk to IP people directly ... Jeff thinks a specific "ip-inbox" might make more sense than channeling this through the AC

Items for next meeting

Regular briefing on the status of e4.

Old Topics

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
  • The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
  • Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C Requirements Wiki for build systems
  • zx create an API Report for all of Helios and inform the AC
  • Ed/Boris to get Mike publish board meeting minutes more frequently

Next Meeting