Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/July 14 2011"

(Platform git migration update)
(Platform git migration update)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 95: Line 95:
 
Other questions:
 
Other questions:
 
* Doug S: Github updates - how often?
 
* Doug S: Github updates - how often?
* Linuxtools: Good feedback from contributors to Linuxtools - patches get stale very quickly, good success with patches maintained in external public git repo (setup by contributor)
+
* Linux Tools: Good feedback from contributors to Linux Tools - patches get stale very quickly, good success with <s>patches</s> commits maintained in external public git repo (setup by contributor)
 
** Contributor info got set during the Push, when committer pulls/pushes
 
** Contributor info got set during the Push, when committer pulls/pushes
** Docs: "Handling git contributions" under development resources linked off the main page from Denis
+
** Docs: [[Development_Resources/Handling_Git_Contributions]]
 
* Gerrit - currently used by egit under special permission, no date yet for other projects to use
 
* Gerrit - currently used by egit under special permission, no date yet for other projects to use
  
 
Documentation:
 
Documentation:
 
* [[Platform-releng/Git_Workflows]] from Paul for migrators from CVS
 
* [[Platform-releng/Git_Workflows]] from Paul for migrators from CVS
 +
** Paul's migration scripts that the platform team used are in git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/e4/org.eclipse.migration.git
 +
** [http://tom.preston-werner.com/2009/05/19/the-git-parable.html The Git Parable]
 
** [http://progit.org/book/ Pro Git book] - especially chapter 3
 
** [http://progit.org/book/ Pro Git book] - especially chapter 3
 +
** [http://progit.org/blog.html The Pro Git blog]
 
** [[EGit/User Guide]]
 
** [[EGit/User Guide]]
 
** [[Git]] page by Denis (Eclipse infrastructure, Legal stuff, pulling from external repos)
 
** [[Git]] page by Denis (Eclipse infrastructure, Legal stuff, pulling from external repos)
Line 119: Line 122:
 
=== General Topics ===
 
=== General Topics ===
 
* Kim - Took part on "Architecture of Open Source" Webinar based on the book she contributed a chapter to
 
* Kim - Took part on "Architecture of Open Source" Webinar based on the book she contributed a chapter to
** The AOSA book is Open Source and available for free http://www.aosabook.org
+
** The AOSA book is Open Source and available for purchase or free http://www.aosabook.org
 
* Long-term support meeting yesterday ... minutes ?
 
* Long-term support meeting yesterday ... minutes ?
  

Latest revision as of 07:02, 15 July 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday July 14, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Stefan Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (public holiday), Chuck Bridgham (vacation), Cedric Brun (public holiday)
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Pascal Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Platform git migration update

Platform UI and Equinox migrated, others to come

  • Granularity : Decided on 1 UNIX usergroup per git repository (CDT: 1 usergroup --> 1 repo; WTP: expect 4-5 repos)
    • Andrew: From consumer's point of view, fewer repos are easier - suggest splitting repos later
    • Platform: Some repos are large (120MB) - but others are larger eg Qt 1.5 Gig
    • Physical permissions - can only get access to a whole repo, cannot restrict per branch or per component
  • Paul Webster wrote a series of shellscripts - things that those scripts had to change:
    • Precondition CVS Repos, since branches are not done on all bundles but only some (this was not needed for CDT)
    • Verify the repo after migration (took 48 hours because there was so much history)
    • Moved checked-in binaries that change frequently into external p2 repos, to avoid re-distributing binaries to all client repos
  • Automated builds: Added egit fetch factory to automated builds... mixed mode now, some bundles fetch from CVS, others from git

Other projects that migrated successfully:

  • CDT
  • Mylyn: Converted some CDT-Repo which had lots of tags no longer relevant
  • Used to have 1 build across all of mylyn, now have 7 repositories (1 per subproject) - can do more fine-grained builds now

Other questions:

  • Doug S: Github updates - how often?
  • Linux Tools: Good feedback from contributors to Linux Tools - patches get stale very quickly, good success with patches commits maintained in external public git repo (setup by contributor)
  • Gerrit - currently used by egit under special permission, no date yet for other projects to use

Documentation:

Maven and parent POM

  • bug 339915 Parent POM - deployed at eclipse.org; zx / Minerva not quite ready yet
    • Sample not yet updated ... could use XSL tooling as sample
    • Need couple patches for signing plugin
    • Mirroring - Proxy for external dependencies; parent POM considered complete with mirror stuff in place
    • Docs: Maven Wiki; use the cross-project or dash-dev mailing list if issues, or open a project against Dash/Maven (or ping Dave C on G+)
    • CDT currently using Tycho without parent POM
  • Runtime wants to push to maven central - ping on dash-dev for current status

General Topics

  • Kim - Took part on "Architecture of Open Source" Webinar based on the book she contributed a chapter to
  • Long-term support meeting yesterday ... minutes ?

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting