Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/July 14 2011"

(Attendees)
Line 60: Line 60:
 
|}
 
|}
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (public holiday), Chuck Bridgham (vacation)
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (public holiday), Chuck Bridgham (vacation), Cedric Brun (public holiday)
 +
 
 +
* '''Signed-up:''' Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Stefan Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson,
  
 
<!--
 
<!--
Line 78: Line 80:
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
  
 +
==== Platform git migration update ====
 +
 +
Platform UI and Equinox migrated, others to come
 +
* '''Granularity''' : Decided on 1 UNIX usergroup per git repository (CDT: 1 usergroup --&gt; 1 repo; WTP: expect 4-5 repos)
 +
** Andrew: From consumer's point of view, fewer repos are easier - suggest splitting repos later
 +
** Platform: Some repos are large (120MB) - but others are larger eg Qt 1.5 Gig
 +
** Physical permissions - can only get access to a whole repo, cannot restrict per branch or per component
 +
* Paul Webster wrote a series of shellscripts - things that those scripts had to change:
 +
** Precondition CVS Repos, since branches are not done on all bundles but only some (this was not needed for CDT)
 +
** Verify the repo after migration (took 48 hours because there was so much history)
 +
** Moved checked-in binaries that change frequently into external p2 repos, to avoid re-distributing binaries to all client repos
 +
* Automated builds: Added egit fetch factory to automated builds... mixed mode now, some bundles fetch from CVS, others from git
 +
 +
Other projects that migrated successfully:
 +
* CDT
 +
* Mylyn: Converted some CDT-Repo which had lots of tags no longer relevant
 +
* Used to have 1 build across all of mylyn, now have 7 repositories (1 per subproject) - can do more fine-grained builds now
 +
 +
Other questions:
 +
* Doug S: Github updates - how often?
 +
* Linuxtools: Good feedback from contributors to Linuxtools - patches get stale very quickly, good success with patches maintained in external public git repo (setup by contributor)
 +
** Contributor info got set during the Push, when committer pulls/pushes
 +
** Docs: "Handling git contributions" under development resources linked off the main page from Denis
 +
* Gerrit - currently used by egit under special permission, no date yet for other projects to use
 +
 +
Documentation:
 +
* Platform-releng/Git_Workflows
 +
** [http://progit.org/book/ Pro Git book] - especially chapter 3
 +
** [[EGit/User Guide]]
 +
** [[Git]] page by Denis (Eclipse infrastructure, Legal stuff, pulling from external repos)
 +
 +
==== Maven and parent POM ====
 +
 +
* {{bug|339915}} Parent POM - deployed at eclipse.org; zx / Minerva not quite ready yet
 +
** Sample not yet updated ... could use XSL tooling as sample
 +
** Need couple patches for signing plugin
 +
** Mirroring - Proxy for external dependencies; parent POM considered complete with mirror stuff in place
 +
** Docs: [[Maven]] Wiki; use the cross-project or dash-dev mailing list if issues, or open a project against Dash/Maven (or ping Dave C on G+)
 +
** CDT currently using Tycho without parent POM
 +
 +
* Runtime wants to push to maven central - ping on dash-dev for current status
  
 
=== General Topics ===
 
=== General Topics ===
 +
* Kim - Took part on "Architecture of Open Source" Webinar based on the book she contributed a chapter to
 +
** The AOSA book is Open Source and available for free http://www.aosabook.org
 +
* Long-term support meeting yesterday ... minutes ?
 +
 
* Updates from the Board
 
* Updates from the Board
 
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
 
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
** zx: '''signing and publishing''' making some progress, will hopefully have some code by next call, for signing and publishing via Maven / Tycho
 
** {{bug|339915}} Parent POM - not yet, zx working on a draft to send out .. signing would inherit from Parent
 
** {{bug|288644}} name spaces / group ID for Maven artifacts - Dave Carver suggests org.eclipse.jdt etc as group ID, corresponding to projects
 
** Other related bugs {{bug|283745}} and {{bug|337068}}
 
  
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
=== Old Topics ===

Revision as of 11:38, 14 July 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday July 14, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (public holiday), Chuck Bridgham (vacation), Cedric Brun (public holiday)
  • Signed-up: Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Stefan Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson,


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Platform git migration update

Platform UI and Equinox migrated, others to come

  • Granularity : Decided on 1 UNIX usergroup per git repository (CDT: 1 usergroup --> 1 repo; WTP: expect 4-5 repos)
    • Andrew: From consumer's point of view, fewer repos are easier - suggest splitting repos later
    • Platform: Some repos are large (120MB) - but others are larger eg Qt 1.5 Gig
    • Physical permissions - can only get access to a whole repo, cannot restrict per branch or per component
  • Paul Webster wrote a series of shellscripts - things that those scripts had to change:
    • Precondition CVS Repos, since branches are not done on all bundles but only some (this was not needed for CDT)
    • Verify the repo after migration (took 48 hours because there was so much history)
    • Moved checked-in binaries that change frequently into external p2 repos, to avoid re-distributing binaries to all client repos
  • Automated builds: Added egit fetch factory to automated builds... mixed mode now, some bundles fetch from CVS, others from git

Other projects that migrated successfully:

  • CDT
  • Mylyn: Converted some CDT-Repo which had lots of tags no longer relevant
  • Used to have 1 build across all of mylyn, now have 7 repositories (1 per subproject) - can do more fine-grained builds now

Other questions:

  • Doug S: Github updates - how often?
  • Linuxtools: Good feedback from contributors to Linuxtools - patches get stale very quickly, good success with patches maintained in external public git repo (setup by contributor)
    • Contributor info got set during the Push, when committer pulls/pushes
    • Docs: "Handling git contributions" under development resources linked off the main page from Denis
  • Gerrit - currently used by egit under special permission, no date yet for other projects to use

Documentation:

  • Platform-releng/Git_Workflows

Maven and parent POM

  • bug 339915 Parent POM - deployed at eclipse.org; zx / Minerva not quite ready yet
    • Sample not yet updated ... could use XSL tooling as sample
    • Need couple patches for signing plugin
    • Mirroring - Proxy for external dependencies; parent POM considered complete with mirror stuff in place
    • Docs: Maven Wiki; use the cross-project or dash-dev mailing list if issues, or open a project against Dash/Maven (or ping Dave C on G+)
    • CDT currently using Tycho without parent POM
  • Runtime wants to push to maven central - ping on dash-dev for current status

General Topics

  • Kim - Took part on "Architecture of Open Source" Webinar based on the book she contributed a chapter to
  • Long-term support meeting yesterday ... minutes ?
  • Updates from the Board
  • Maven @ Eclipse progress

Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting