Architecture Council/Meetings/January 14 2010
< Architecture Council | Meetings
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday January 14, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|BIRT:||Wenfeng Li||Gary Xue|
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|Eclipse:||Mike Wilson||John Arthorne|
|RT:||Jeff McAffer|| |
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
|WTP:||Tim deBoer|| |
- Regrets: Wayne Beaton, Dave Carver, Ed Merks (travelling), Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling)
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/December 10 2009
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Martin Ask PC to think about an "e4 ready" requirement for next year's train
- Martin Ask e4 team to pitch a migration talk at EclipseCon.
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
e4 - current state of affairs
git at Eclipse - current state of affairs
- is Git for Committers still up to date with bug 280583 complete for the read-only git of all of Eclipse
- could instructions be simplified for the most common use cases:
- Getting source for a plugin I want to change
- Adding a branch for a patch of mine
- Rebasing my branch to a new milestone
target platform docs
- Today, all searchable documentation is for the development host (e.g. o.e.platform.doc.isv)
- When I develop against multiple target platforms, how can I access correct documentation?
- Sample use cases:
- Use Eclipse 3.6m4 development host but work on the R3_5_maintenance brach as target platform
- WTP: Documentation for the server-side target e.g. servlets
- CDT: Documentation for the C runtime I develop against
- RT/Equinox: Documentation for the target I develop against
- Any known solutions? What are people doing today?
- What could be done from an architectural point of view?
- Usage of tracing API (Tim D to discuss)
Items for next meeting
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- Wayne to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
- Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
- 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven